No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily rates jump nearly 50%, now at 1500 (and that is despite test numbers decreasing) - but I'm sure that opening the schools is fine and won't in any way lead to exponential growth in the coming weeks.

upload

Narrator: It did.
    Last edited by MartyG; 27-08-2020, 16:06.

Comment

Yep, and it wouldn't be surprising if the number of infected people offering themselves up for testing is falling as well given the support for isolating etc is wrapping up as well. I thought to myself a few weeks back that given a Second Wave doesn't need to be as large as the first (though wouldn't surprise if it was) it'd be enough of a sign of one to me if we cracked 2,000 cases per day as that's a clear trend hard upward from the 4-500 low point and shy of the halfway to the previous peak.

Comment

Desperate baseless scaremongering:

Comment

Like I said, the government want us to return so we spend money. The workers and employers don't want to.
          The government is getting desperate.
          I think the country has changed. It'll never go back to what it was. And with a no deal brexit round the corner we are in for greater change.

Comment

Apparently it's Tory-donor office space rentiers who are putting pressure on the Tories, as they are worried about their future rents? I don't think the Tories give a ha'penny **** about the economic fortunes of sandwich and coffee shop concessions in city centres. Don't know if that's true, but the thought of a landlord culture brought to its knees is mighty appealing.

Comment

Startling news alert! Things change and humans adapt to them.

This massive over-simplification of a massively complex and troubling issue is all I have to offer currently.

Comment

Nothing to do with this fact:
                "MPs must reveal if they collect more than £10,000 per year in rent. I checked the records of all 650 MPs in the current parliament and found 110 MPs (17%) are landlords. In most cases this means renting out houses and flats. Some MPs also collecting rent from farms, shops and other commercial premises. "

Boris Johnson's government is dominated by landlords, many of whom own multiple properties and make a fortune from rent. It isn't a fluke that they support policies which harm tenants – it's class politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  Startling news alert! Things change and humans adapt to them.
                  I'm afraid that evolutionary certainty doesn't fit with Conservative policy. It's bad for business. Things must be kept as they were for the good of 'the country'.

Comment

Saw that front page being shared yesterday, find it quite disgusting that they've got managed to make this appeal about fear (job retention) and sympathy (it's for your mental health!) in one statement without any self-awareness of how they're impacting these. For them to think they speak on behalf of every company is hilarious too.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Nothing to do with this fact:
                      "MPs must reveal if they collect more than £10,000 per year in rent. I checked the records of all 650 MPs in the current parliament and found 110 MPs (17%) are landlords. In most cases this means renting out houses and flats. Some MPs also collecting rent from farms, shops and other commercial premises. "

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/05/government-by-landlord
                      That’s actually better than here. We have a massive rent crisis, like, absolutely ridiculous right now and has been for the last few years. Will government do anything? Nope because more than a third of our MPs are landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        I think the country has changed. It'll never go back to what it was. And with a no deal brexit round the corner we are in for greater change.
                        bUt We'Ll FiNalLy HaVe OuR sOvErEiGnTy bAcK, iNnIt!!!!1111??????

wILL oF dEe PeEpLe!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 28-08-2020, 09:55.

Comment

Government prepares new media campaign to encourage more employees to return to workplace

Grant Shapps, transport secretary, confirmed the launch of the new campaign, saying “it is now safe to return to work.”

But he added: “I suspect we'll see more flexible working than we've seen in the past and it will be for employers and employees to work out the right balance in their particular cases.”

Mr Shapps was interviewed at home over Zoom.
                          Richard Littlejohn, a Daily Mail columnist, wrote on Friday criticising the “madness” of homeworking: “Millions of people working from home is a Fool’s Paradise. It can’t last much longer, but unless business gets back to normal sooner rather than later, the consequences will be catastrophic.”

Mr Littlejohn added “in the interests of full disclosure” that he has worked from home for the last 30 years.

Comment

The productivity in my company has increased due to home working - we've discussed it and there's no way that we will be returning to the office full time, in fact we've already reduced the office space that we rent by 50%.

Unless I missed the bit where everyone was successfully vacinated, nothing has changed since February/March and currently we're looking at a steady increase in infection rates.

So Shapps and especially Littlejohnson can spin on my middle finger frankly.

Comment

But what about Pret? Don't you care that Pret are losing money?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                                But what about Pret? Don't you care that Pret are losing money?
                                Do I care that some multi-national corporation that doesn't give a crap about the people it employs isn't making its already rich executives richer?

No.

For individual employees, losing your job isn't fun (I know, I've been through five redundancies in my working life), but economies change and the move away from city centres and reduced communiting to me seems to have far more benefits than it has negatives. Companies adapt, jobs adapt and people adapt - new forms of employment emerge to replace those roles that disappear. New strategies are born out of neccessity and things eventually balance out.

If the economy is so unstable that it depends on Pret coffee, then it's a bad and unsustainable model and has to change.

Comment

Working...
                                X