United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The vaccine is great news but worth picking a few things up.

The UK government went in hard on the Pfizer kickstarter and ordered 40 million doses (20 million people) so even if it has problematic storage concerns and is more expensive - this is the horse we backed. In many ways, because we do have a system capable of using it due to our infrastructure, it does make sense for us t use this so the cheaper, easier methods can be used by countries that have a less developed infrastructure.
      I do not for one second think the UK government has this altruism in mind when crowing about it.

The best indication of our present and future is how quickly some of the ministers and brexit MPs have been lying about how the speed is only possible due to leaving the EU. Not true at all (of course) but this lie will also enter the knowledge bloodstream of our electorate and many will have absorbed this lie. Again.
      More pertinently, the stuff that the UK can get before 31st December will come over fairly smoothly - post brexit it is not so clear so that might be why we raced to approve rather than any other decent reason. Sadly, it will always come to politics.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
        No. Just pointing out that the British taxpayer isn't really being deprived of billions. It's money they never had in the first place. Maybe if DeepMind hadn't been bought by Google in 2014, but it was so that's that. Bit of a non-story really, innit?
        No I am afraid it is indicative of the UK having no long term planning technologically to grow the economy. So a story for sure. See ARM being sold to Softbank and then not having a buy back clause but now looking to being sold to Nvidia and the Americans. So a real story here you just do not have the insight to see it...

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          There are not going to be legions of vampires - the stakes are too high.
          So just to be clear, you're saying that the vaccine will be a silver bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
            No I am afraid it is indicative of the UK having no long term planning technologically to grow the economy. So a story for sure. See ARM being sold to Softbank and then not having a buy back clause but now looking to being sold to Nvidia and the Americans. So a real story here you just do not have the insight to see it...
            Haha, cheeky prick. I don't think many people start companies thinking "this'll be great for the country's economy in a few years." The bottom line is DeepMind was started as a private company and it was bought later on by another company that thought it might be useful. To my knowledge, the government isn't in the habit of buying up tech companies (or other types of companies for that matter) to shore up the UK economy in the future. So, no, taxpayers aren't being deprived of billions, because it wouldn't have ever been a state-owned enterprise anyway, and the same goes for ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
              The UK government went in hard on the Pfizer kickstarter and ordered 40 million doses (20 million people) so even if it has problematic storage concerns and is more expensive - this is the horse we backed.
              It's also ordered 100m doses of the Covid vaccine being produced by the University of Oxford and Astrazeneca.

It hasn't backed only one horse.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              So just to be clear, you're saying that the vaccine will be a silver bullet?
              I'm fairly sure those only work on werewolves, if I have my mythology correct.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                I'm fairly sure those only work on werewolves, if I have my mythology correct.
                Look all I'm saying is if the vaccine doesn't work, we just start shoving people with COVID into running water.

Comment

Haha, cheeky prick. I don't think many people start companies thinking "this'll be great for the country's economy in a few years." The bottom line is DeepMind was started as a private company and it was bought later on by another company that thought it might be useful. To my knowledge, the government isn't in the habit of buying up tech companies (or other types of companies for that matter) to shore up the UK economy in the future. So, no, taxpayers aren't being deprived of billions, because it wouldn't have ever been a state-owned enterprise anyway, and the same goes for ARM.
                  I do try Cave. Certain companies needed to be ring fenced from foreign aquisition and even the founder of ACORN said so he thought it was a disgrace, like ARM...if the government provided start up funding models and backing this country would be a better place if they could then or perhaps relinquish this state funding after X years capitalism and "Neo-Thatcherism" = win win. The economy needs it after 2020...Retail and Tourism are dead.

Now Cave you will tell me what a terrible person the greatest Prime Minister of the 20th Century was, and she was a Baroness!

Comment

What the sweet **** are you on about now?

Comment

What the sweet **** are you on about now?
                      Work it out! I am off for dinner and WWE Raw for a luagh after Channel 4 News. High brow to low brow!

Drew McIntyre Live Tonight! well from Monday tagging with his Irish buddy Sheamus! Plus a sudden death Triple Threat for no 1 Contender...oh and Alexa Bliss with Randy Orton!
                      Last edited by CAPCOM; 02-12-2020, 21:00.

Comment

I've just had a yoghurt.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            I've just had a yoghurt.
                            What flavour? Okyos are my favourite! Peach or Passion Fruit!

Comment

What the hell is going on??

Comment

Hirst had a yoghurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X