Mobile Phone Thread S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    I have an iPad 2 (I know that’s really old but it still functions theoretically) which Apple considers useless. Cannot connect to their own email or App Store. I literally have to jailbreak it to get anything on there. Computers are king it seems.
    I was going to lecture you about upgrading until I remembered that I still rock an iPad Mini 2 from 2013!

As [MENTION=13863]speedlolita[/MENTION] rightly points out though, Apple are excellent with offering updates for older devices. My iPhone 6s only stopped being supported by Apple last year, SEVEN years after I first purchased it.

Comment

I use an iPad Air 2 from 2014. Still works great for web browsing and reading books and comics. It stopped receiving updates last year with iOS 15. It’ll have to finally be replaced once it reaches the point where it can’t run current apps, like Brad’s iPad 2. I suspect that might not be for a while though.

The iPad 2 was released in a period of time when mobile devices were improving exponentially year on year. I owned one and when I sold it to get an Air 2 three years later the leap forward the Air represented was massive.

That pace of advancement began to slow down considerably in the mid 2010s and now you are lucky to see much of an appreciable change in five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Had it been £100 cheaper for what it was (mid-range specs), I would've brought one at the time.

FYI, Google will stop supporting the Pixel 5 with updates after this October. Not necessarily a problem if you're comfortable with going the custom ROM route though.
        Yikes

Comment

I have an ipad mini here MD5288. The web browser can't render anything properly these days. No apps work apart from email. Is there anything I can do to jailbreak it and make it useful again?

Comment

Ok figured out the battery issue. It was the always on display. Turned the setting off, turned the phone off, back on and the always on back on. Working as it should now. Tried everything else so it was worth a shot. The phone is draining normally now while I’m actually using it, not draining when it’s in my pocket like I’m watching YouTube in high deff all day.

Very odd why it would do that.

Comment

If you get a new phone, is there a way to move all your texts across?
              (Android)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                If you get a new phone, is there a way to move all your texts across?
                (Android)
                Depends. What are the phones?

EDIT: Just saw it was Android.

This should help: https://support.google.com/android/a...93424?hl=en-GB

Comment

Thanks mate.

I'd like to keep the texts my mom sent.

Comment

We've just upgraded, all my texts flowed across just make sure you back-up the phone before doing a factory reset.

Comment

Has anyone got any experience with the Asus ROG phone series?

I'm still using my Razer 2 Phone, which has been fantastic for a number of years. But it's starting to fall apart and I'm interested in what's available. Razer have gotten out of the phone business but apparently the ROG is pretty good.

After the Razer 2 I really want a high refresh OLED screen and decent stereo speakers (which most phones lack).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I really want a high refresh OLED screen and decent stereo speakers (which most phones lack).
                        Where are you looking??

Most premium top-end smartphones definitely do have high refresh-rate (120Hz) screens and quality stereo speakers.

Needing more than 120Hz refresh-rate is excessive and detrimental to any smartphone battery, surely??

Personally, I wouldn't be going near Asus phones. Excellent premium specs but they offer very little in the way of Android support/updates (2 years last time I looked at the ZenFone 9).
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 24-05-2023, 10:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Where are you looking??

Most premium top-end smartphones definitely do have high refresh-rate (120Hz) screens and quality stereo speakers.

Needing more than 120Hz refresh-rate is excessive and detrimental to any smartphone battery, surely??
                          Sorry, my phrasing was ambiguous; it wasn't so much the screen (I'm aware most high-end phones are doing 120hz screens now). Back when I got the Razer 2 phone, it had full front-facing stereo speakers, and there were no other phones that were doing this. From what I can see, no phones have front-facing speakers now, but a few have decent stereo speakers fron the sides.

In work, I use my phone in many situations where I'm demonstrating something. The Razer 2's front-facing speakers with the Dolby software were an absolute godsend.

Comment

That's an unusual requirement. I like it!

Googling around Reddit threads it seems that the ROG phones do have a rep for great speaker quality above and beyond most others.

Other than that people just seem to recommend the usuals...Galaxy, iPhone, Pixel.

Comment

It's the end of the road for iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus (all first released back in 2017) - they will not be getting iOS 17, as confirmed by Apple at yesterday's WWDC.

It’s the end of the road for the iPhone X, iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. Apple announced iOS 17 yesterday with several noteworthy features including StandBy mode,...

Comment

Laughing in XR. Riding this bad boy all the way into the ground (2024, probably).

Comment

Working...
                                X