No announcement yet.

Mobile Phone Thread S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to be outdone by the House of Jobs, Google have announced their Pixel 8 series (and likely Pixel Watch 2) launch event.

OCTOBER 4TH - 7AM PT / 10AM ET / 3PM UK BST / 4PM CEST

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 30-08-2023, 16:43.

Comment

I got a Motorola edge 30 ultra about 6 weeks ago. Very impressed. Excellent cameras, 2 day battery and 125watt charging will go from empty to 100% in 25 minutes. Big screen and their ReadyFor system lets you plug the phone into a monitor, keyboard and mouse and essentially give you a Chromebook. Can also connect to a Windows pc or Mac to achieve the same thing. Got it for £500 from Lenovo.

Comment

They say it's military grade. Let's freeze it!
        The Oukitel RT6

Comment

Garbage Android tablets are...garbage.

Comment

Google doing Google things and leaking new Pixel promo material early.

Roll on October 4th.

Comment

Oh no, now my phone is out of date
              The form factor of the new phone looks very similar to the current models.

Comment

Pixel Watch 2 "sneak peek".

Comment

ICYMI.

Comment

Looking at the iPhone 15s now, as my 11 is about ready for retirement. I don't have any grand plans to game excessively on whatever I go for so hardware raytracing is acceleration less of a draw, but I am considering the Pro mainly for the new silicon in it, but also partly for the camera array. The 'Dynamic Island' being on the regular models too is one reason less to consider the increased outlay, though.

Knowing that if I don't it'd just sit in a drawer for years, I'm also considering the £183 trade-in for my old one.

Comment

Camera array on the 14pro max has been great.

Comment

No more mini iPhones! Ah well guess I’ll be holding on to the one I have for a long time…

Comment

Time for companies to invest less in blandly designed identikit iterations and more in signal strength quality so calls/internet degrade or cut out less often. Ridiculous it's still so common.

Comment

I lost my iPhone in the back of a cab a month or so back so I'm probably going to buy one of the 15s. It was a five year old XR so at least I had had my money's worth out of it.

Not sure which one but maybe the 15 Pro in 'Natural Titanium'. The regular 15 in black is a more sensible choice but, with the XR, I found myself thinking towards the end of my ownership of it that I probably should have just gotten the XS for a couple of hundred more considering how long I kept it. Had I not lost the XR I'd still be using it and not even considering a 15. It worked completely fine.

For me phones are on a similar personal upgrade cycle to laptops now, five years at a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              Time for companies to invest less in blandly designed identikit iterations and more in signal strength quality so calls/internet degrade or cut out less often. Ridiculous it's still so common.
                              Bland and identikit they may be, but the designs work from a purely ergonomical point of view so why change just for the look at a likely expense of function?

Signal quality is an issue for the network providers more so than the smartphone manufacturers, though the latter isn't entirely blameless (see the crap modems that Google insist on using in their recent Pixel handsets).

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                For me phones are on a similar personal upgrade cycle to laptops now, five years at a minimum.
                                100%. I've been rocking my Pixel 4 XL since 2019 (Google stopped software support for it last year) so I might well pull the day-one trigger on a Pixel 8 in a few weeks time, so it would help if Google continue their traditional pre-order bonus incentive and throw in a Pixel Watch 2 to go with it!

If iPhones weren't so exorbitantly priced these days, I'd have probably stayed using iPhone but the price increase and the decrease in trade-in value (engineered by Apple themselves) helped make me jump ship to Android....though if the Pixel 8 isn't up to par then I might well go back to iPhone (last iPhone I used as a daily driver: iPhone 6s), but that's another conversation for another time perhaps...
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-09-2023, 13:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X