Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American actor Ed Asner, perhaps most famous for his role as Lou Grant in both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and the eponymous spin-off in the 1970s, has passed away at the age of 91.

Actor shone in The Mary Tyler Moore Show and spin-off before spell as Screen Actors Guild president ended over liberal views
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 29-08-2021, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      American actor Ed Asner, perhaps most famous for his role as Lou Grant in both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and the eponymous spin-off in the 1970s, has passed away at the age of 91.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ry-tyler-moore
      It should also be pointed out that Asner, while also being acclaimed as an actor in his own right, was somebody who stood up and spoke out in advocacy for social justice at a time when it wasn't popular to do so in the US to the point of it threatening to derail his career. He marched with striking workers, supported universal healthcare, campaigned against the death penalty and publicly criticised US interventionist policy. It was widely assumed that the public expression of his liberal political beliefs resulted in the cancellation of Lou Grant in 1982, as well as provoking public criticism that lead him to decide not to seek a third term as President of the Screen Actors Guild in 1985.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 29-08-2021, 21:21.

Comment

Really liked Asner, would never be a big lead but one of those solid actors that could prop up a film like the great George Kennedy.
        Last edited by Anpanman; 31-08-2021, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ry-tyler-moore
          I think Moore famous as Carl from Up!

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            I think Moore famous as Carl from Up!
            Haha! I see what you did there - kudos!

Ed Asner was excellent in the lead role in Up, but his most famous role was easily that of Lou Grant and it's not even close.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority of people who have no idea who Lou Grant is?

Comment

Which is slightly mad given that you're from North America, albeit understandable given that The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Lou Grant ended decades ago and way before our times.

TBH, my earliest memory of Asner was on the extremely short-lived sitcom Thunder Alley on The Disney Channel in the 1990s.

Google and Wikipedia could come in useful here, methinks!

Comment

I'm from Iowa, I just work in outer space.
                  r/Iowa/Cardiff, r/outer space/Canada

Using Google to find something out is not the same as knowing it.

Comment

Same
                    I had absolutely no idea who Ed Anser was until the wife showed me a picture of him & Carl from Up

Genuinely don't know him from anything other than his cartoon voice over work (he IS J Jonah Jameson to me)

Neil

Comment

Lee Perry dies a couple of days ago :-(

Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, godfather of reggae and dub pioneer who was a huge influence on Bob Marley – obituary (msn.com)

Comment

Using Google to find something out is not the same as knowing it.
                        Granted (no pun intended), but I'm really not talking about alien concepts here. The Mary Tyler Moore Show - which spawned Lou Grant - is widely considered to be one of the best US sitcoms of all-time. It isn't totally unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                          Same
                          I had absolutely no idea who Ed Anser was until the wife showed me a picture of him & Carl from Up

Genuinely don't know him from anything other than his cartoon voice over work (he IS J Jonah Jameson to me)

Neil
                          That's fair enough. But you not knowing who he is or what he did simply doesn't alter what his most famous/well-known acting work was.

And that's before mentioning his political activism and that he was a former President of the SAG!

Comment

Ooo-eeee-oooo, he looks just like Buddy Holly.

I'm also in "the guy from Up died" camp.

Comment

Nope, no clue who he was.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                Ooo-eeee-oooo, he looks just like Buddy Holly.

I'm also in "the guy from Up died" camp.
                                I dont care what they say about him anyway!

I don't care about that!

Comment

Working...
                                X