America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    If China is the enemy, why do we keep giving them our money?
    You've answered your own question, there. One of the goals of globalisation is to prevent war by making the world as interdependent as possible. In some respects, forcing Russia to become self-sufficient may be a problem in the future, as it can lead to a "fortress state" mentality like North Korea.

I don't know what else could've been done instead, though.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      If Russia and China could do whatever they wanted without fear or reprisal, what would they actually want?

Russia would presumably want back all the eastern block countries. But would it want to go further and push the communist ideal to the rest of the world?

What does China want?

Bit of a weird situation that - China makes half* of the world's stuff. "Made in China" is everywhere. When Russia invaded Ukraine, in terms of sanctions, we haven't lost much apart from the ability to trade in Russia and although it has hurt Russia, it can probably cope. But if China did something similar, sanctions would be devastating. We'd lose access to vast portions of supply chains. It would cripple China, but also everywhere else too. We'd be screwed. Plus Hollywood would drop off the face of the earth - so many big films seem to be bankrolled by China at the moment. If China is the enemy, why do we keep giving them our money? (We, being big companies). I'm rambling now.
      The other side to this is that China absolutely cannot upset the west either and end up in an embargo where they can’t ship anything, China is in so much debt as a country it’s probably more than the rest of the planet put together, their economy would collapse in a week with zero exports.

Economically it’s mutually assured destruction between China and the west now.

Comment

Court motion submitted by ex-president’s lawyers argues some materials seized by FBI could be subject to executive privilege

Trumps accidentally admits to illegally holding classified documents when filing to the court in his own defense

Comment

Comment

That's bloody hilarious. Best Trump impersonation I've heard. And the contrast between it and Foxx's own laconic voice at the end makes it even funnier.

"What's your favourite Death Row record Mr Trump?"

"All of them"

Comment

Jamie Foxx's impersonation skills have been evident ever since his days on In Living Color in the early 1990s, and that's not even mentioning his well-deserved Oscar win for playing Ray Charles.

Easily the best Trump impersonation and it's not even close.

Comment

Amazing!!

Comment

That is really good, but this is still my fave as I can really imagine Trump just riling himself up over something mundane like Scooby-Doo until they play some Barbara Streisand until he calms down.

Original video

Comment

FBI searched Trump Mar-a-Lago home over ‘likely’ efforts to hide classified files, justice department says | Donald Trump | The Guardian
                    Trump is now lined up perfectly as the files that were taken from the raid were due to a likely effort to hide classified files. There are various tidbits doing the rounds but it all largely circles him not only having the documents but destroying some of them, having his lawyers lie about them, lying about them himself and the potential risk that he has shared or sold some of the information to third parties.

Of all the legal cases and investigations this is now the one to watch as in effect they have him in an iron clad guilty case that theoretically carries hundreds of years of prison sentence attached.

Comment

In a primetime address, the president further said the Republican party was ‘dominated, driven and intimidated’ by Trump

Perfectly timed, Biden makes a prime time address calling out the Republicans for being intimidated and dominated by MAGA extremists and Trump

Donald Trump says he plans to pardon US Capitol attack participants if elected | Donald Trump | The Guardian
                      As Trump promises to pardon treasonists

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        "but I totes wasn't involved guys"

Comment

Chile votes overwhelmingly to reject new, progressive constitution | Chile | The Guardian
                          Chileans have voted strongly in favour of rejecting a progressive constitution ensuring that women are not entitled or guaranteed rights or gender parity.

Comment

Chile votes overwhelmingly to reject new, progressive constitution | Chile | The Guardian
                            Chileans have voted strongly in favour of rejecting a progressive constitution ensuring that women are not entitled or guaranteed rights or gender parity.
                            Honestly; I'd need to read more about that. With a 62% vote against, that's a pretty big margin for this kind of referendum. I'd want to know what the new constitution said, as this presumably wasn't the only issue and I'm wondering if there are more reasonable reasons to vote against.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...082daedc5f5b13
                              Things are getting hot for Trump - Nuclear hot
                              Wow, Jesus christ.
                              I bet he took them to sell once the heat died down. As soon as the documents were no longer missed, he would have called his old buddy in the Kremlin.

Comment

Working...
                              X