No announcement yet.

America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if I'd class the dregs of reddit 'normal people'.

The markets are basically one big scam, manipulating made-up systems and people making lots of money doing precisely nothing but selling products of the imagination. The idea that people can make money on a business crashing is horrendous. It shouldn't happen. But there is nothing good about this. I'm with Fuse on it.

Comment

I'm loving this, it's all so dumb. Bunch of friends bought a stock or two for the meme. To the moon etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        The markets are basically one big scam, manipulating made-up systems and people making lots of money doing precisely nothing but selling products of the imagination. The idea that people can make money on a business crashing is horrendous.
        But if rich people have done it for decades, don't you find some irony in not-rich people doing it causing such a fuss?

I probably need to read more about the situation. Someone's going to tell me in a moment that the people doing this are TERF-Nazis and it may change my perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          But if rich people have done it for decades, don't you find some irony in not-rich people doing it causing such a fuss?
          We all love an underdog story, but by your own definition these are not-rich people being bought into a gamble on a business we all know is floundering, all egged on by some anonymous guys on Reddit.

Comment

Hell, it'll probably turn out the Reddit peeps are Wall Street guys manipulating the market

Today's news:

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              We all love an underdog story, but by your own definition these are not-rich people being bought into a gamble on a business we all know is floundering, all egged on by some anonymous guys on Reddit.
              Y'see that makes more sense to me. I'll make some time to actually read what's going on; all my info is third-hand.

Comment

Yeah, some people who got in on it and then got out quickly will actually make money but the reality is that the shares were never worth that much - it's manipulation. So what will follow is a huge crash in those share prices and some people who got in on this for fun along the way will lose their money.

Comment

I've been following it and its not about making money as the stock will most likely nose dive once the sell off starts which means some people will loose money. it was about stopping hedgefunds destroying companys by setting them up to fail they tied to do this by shorting 100% of gamestops stock to try and push the company into a downward spiral to make a quick bit of cash. that's pretty ****ty and shouldn't be a thing.

Whats happened here though is the opposite buying and holding the stock has pushed the value of the stock up instead of down as its an in demand stock, the shorters are desperate to get back in to cash out they expected it to drop so are currently making massive potentially unlimited losses. No matter what the outcome i think its bloody fantastic that its upset wallstreet so badly.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 28-01-2021, 10:48.

Comment

Stock market nuts. When Musk tweeted "Use Signal" (messenger app), Wall Street bought shares in a company with Signal in the name and price rocketed 1000s %. Even though it had NOTHING to do with Signal app....

Comment

The sooner Musk sends himself to space the better.

Comment

GameStop's three biggest shareholders have earnt over $2bn from the share surge. Despite the immense gains GameStop is going to continue with its plan to shut 450 stores by the end of the year.

This morning shares have surged another 40%, the White House has announced it is monitoring the situation now.

The GameStop scheme is spreading too, AMC saw huge gains yesterday and also with only one store left in the world...

Comment

I think it only goes to show how ridiculous the stock market it is tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            https://www.theguardian.com/business...id-stock-surge
                            GameStop's three biggest shareholders have earnt over $2bn from the share surge.
                            Really sticking it to the man there.

Comment

Such a ridiculous scam that has somehow kept going, the stock market i mean.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 28-01-2021, 12:58.

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like thering.

The Robinhood app used for the GameStop share drive has restricted users from buying shares in GameStop, AMC, Blockbuster and others causing the start of a huge ruckus.

Comment

Working...
                                X