No announcement yet.

America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meta as a whole has lost in the region of $600b in share value. Its worth less than Home Depot now.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      Musk has completed the purchase of Twitter and sacked a load of people

The New York Stock Exchange says the merger is "effective" as the billionaire axes executives.

Get ready for that place to become even more toxic than it already is.
      What a waste of 44b. He could of put that towards a small mars colony for that amount of money.

Comment

good one

Comment

It's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            People were expecting different?

Comment

Depends - if Musk wants Twitter to make money through advertising then he's going the wrong way about it.

He doesn't have shareholders to please anymore, but he does have investors - the number of companies wanting to have their products associated with a toxic platform will get slimmer and slimmer - even Hide Park Corner has rules.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                Depends - if Musk wants Twitter to make money through advertising then he's going the wrong way about it.
                This is the thing; few people want to advertise on a platform which has figurative nazis, never mind literal ones.

Comment

We'll finally get to see what happens when Musk actually has to manage something

Comment

Musk considers a monthly subscription for Twitter

Comment

Trying to find an alternative to Twitter because I just can't stand Elon Musk.

Every time he's in the news, it's never for some philanthropic endeavour, it's just him being an overentitled prick.

Comment

I have tried writing a response to this a few times now but it honestly makes me so angry that I've gone back and re-written it about a million times. What is there to say?

That he's still posting about the company like a pandering, attention-starved child, not realising that he is in fact responsible for it? That even now he's trying to claim that the company was lying to him about the volume of bots, as if that even mattered following his agreement to buy it? That his bullish "reduce workforce by 75%" goal is likely very damaging to the platform? That despite this, and intending to re-platform some of the most hateful speech going, he thinks he can ask verified users (the people of interest that most of us common folk are interested to hear from) to pony up?

I thought it might be a slow and steady decline, but I'm now more inclined to believe it's going to be quick and ugly.

Comment

It's funny how Elon Musk's idea of an ideal 'town square' is something that he personally owns, with stakeholdings from a few of his ultra wealthy mates like Larry Ellison.

Like, the whole point of the town square is no one owns it, dude.

He's an unbelievable prick, really.

Comment

I re-wrote my post several times too, then just stripped it back, but I've disliked him for years.

Off the top of my head:
                            He's rich off his dad's apartheid emerald mine.
                            He's tried to delete all references to his dad's apartheid emerald mine.
                            He gave his child a stupid name, after a test jet. X Æ A-12, a precursor to the Blackbird SR-71.
                            He corrected his wife when, having just given birth and left surgery, mistyped SR-17 instead of SR-71.
                            He keeps saying Crypto is cool.
                            He keeps manipulating the crypto markets by saying it's cool.
                            Tesla Autopilot keeps crashing cars and killing people.
                            Building a rocket to Mars, rather than just, I dunno feeding people or building a hospital or something.
                            Forcing people back into the office, rather than WFH at Tesla.
                            He built a bulletproof car that looks like something Kryten would dump.
                            It wasn't bulletproof.
                            He allegedly showed his dick to a Space-X employee.
                            He made a penis joke when commenting on the sexual harassment allegation against him.
                            He's apparently had an affair which he denies.
                            He keep making out that he's the founder of things like Tesla, and he isn't.
                            Then there's the whole submarine paedo thing. That alone is enough to hate him.
                            Then there are loads of people who seem to need to stand up for him.

All of this is before taking over Twitter, where staff are worried about their jobs and users are concerned about future content there.

Urgh. Just vile.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Trying to find an alternative to Twitter because I just can't stand Elon Musk.
                              The short answer is that there isn't one. Then again, if there was, it would be an easy topic.

People are talking about Mastodon but honestly that's only superficially similar, and it suffers from many of the same problems, just not exacerbated because it's relatively small.

I think one of the problems Twitter's buyout has created for many people is to do with discoverability.

One of the things I've observed with YouTubers and Twitch Streamers is that both platforms have grown enormously in ~10 years, and simultaneously, both of them have strong discoverability. Like if you only used YouTube, and never any other website, you could find new creators, watch videos from different sources... The algorithm takes a lot of stick but it exists.

But there are a lot of online content creators who are in content niches which don't have that. The spaces where you supply those things to your audience just don't have the same tools.

As a result, Twitter has become kinda like the the crutch for many of these things. Indie author? Game developer? Board game creator? Podcaster? You almost certainly use Twitter because otherwise it's reasonably likely no-one will never find out about your work.

The death of Twitter is really going to impact this.

Comment

The thing to remember as well is that generally people are good. People want to help others and they definitely don't want to share a space with racists, bigots and assholes. There is a reason why Britain First doesn't have any MPs for example, because people don't want to vote for wankers.
                                So if twitter just fills up with left field misanthropic **** ****ers, no one is going to use it anymore except for like minded **** ****ers.

Comment

Working...
                                X