America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    I worry for the good people of that country, though, if the various trials against Trump turn a corner and bar him from running for President. Just because there will definitely be a violent uprising, possibly multiple, in a nation where so many people own firearms. Most of his supporters will love that he dodged paying taxes.
    Don't be so sure. He labeled himself as a 'Man of the people'. Someone who says it like it is and stands up for the lower class. Then to be found to be dodging tax, it destroys that image and pisses people off. Tax dodging is never seen as a good thing, no matter the country. Its seen as taking money directly from services. Some might double down. But others will turn their back. Especially people who might invest in his campaign.

Comment

The people who are likely to Timothy McVeigh their local government buildings - or who already took part in or supported Jan 6th - aren't exactly noted fans of the welfare state or major campaign donors, though. Most of the extremists are more loyal to Trump than the US at this point. And what's really scary is how they're pushing the Overton window of acceptable political action towards the more violent end of the spectrum.

There is a really good recent article about it here:

The author knocks on the doors bearing the darkest symbols, behind which lie guns, ammo, antisemitism, antiabortion dogma—and a belief in the coming civil war.

It's long but really worth a read.

Comment

Raphael Warnock wins Georgia runoff, bolstering Democratic Senate majority | US politics | The Guardian
        Democrats have secured a narrow but power giving majority in the Senate

Comment

American Women's Basketball player Brittney Griner has been freed from a Russian prison in exchange for convicted arms dealer Viktor Bout.

Comment

Twitter relaunches blue tick service with higher price for iPhone users | Twitter | The Guardian
            The Blue tick service on twitter is re-relaunched with iPhone users being charged more

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Twitter relaunches blue tick service with higher price for iPhone users | Twitter | The Guardian
              The Blue tick service on twitter is re-relaunched with iPhone users being charged more
              Isn't that because apple fans have money to burn? Why else would they pay over the odds for Apple products
              Right, better get out of here now.

Comment

I imagine it’s to account for the 30% cut that Apple takes for any subs bought through their App Store

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Isn't that because apple fans have money to burn? Why else would they pay over the odds for Apple products
                  Right, better get out of here now.
                  Because they don't sell your data?

BTW, I'm not an apple fan. I have an iPhone, which is great but I also have a Macbook for work, and it's awful in almost all respects (apart from battery life). Apple earbuds are crap too and my music player is a Fiio, not an iPod. But, since switching to iPhone the ads that are delivered to me are utterly random.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post

BTW, I'm not an apple fan. I have an iPhone, which is great but I also have a Macbook for work, and it's awful in almost all respects (apart from battery life). Apple earbuds are crap too and my music player is a Fiio, not an iPod. But, since switching to iPhone the ads that are delivered to me are utterly random.
                    My son has an iPhone 12 (I think) with apple pods. You are right, they sound like **** yet cost a fortune. I tried them on my Pixel 7 Pro, still sounded like crap. The boy thinks they sound like crap too compared to what I use but sticks with them because that's what all his mates use.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Apple may share personal data with Apple-affiliated companies, service providers who act on our behalf, our partners, developers, and publishers, or others at your direction.
                      Whilst it might not sell the actual data to third parties, it sells advertising based on that data to third parties, behest to GDPR as every other company is.

Number 1 rule again: Corporations are not your friend.

Comment

My son has an iPhone 12 (I think) with apple pods. You are right, they sound like **** yet cost a fortune. I tried them on my Pixel 7 Pro, still sounded like crap. The boy thinks they sound like crap too compared to what I use but sticks with them because that's what all his mates use.
                        Ive always flipped between Android and Iphone, my first smartphone was a HTC desire and i loved that thing it was only when HTC went off and costs leveled out that i switched to the iphone. We talk about Apple being expensive and Android being cheap but thats not the case anymore, apple offer a cheap powerfull device in the SE and both my kids have one and are more than happy with them. If anything theirs more expensive phones in the android market now. some of the samsung phones go for stupid money, they seem to have some crazy gimmick that gets dropped or isn't quite ready for market like a 2 grand foldable phones that can get damaged with a fingernail and destroy themselves over time, or the stupid curved screen edge galaxy cost 80% of the phone price to get it fixed if you dropped it and damaged the screen.

Comment

Probably because they are a $12 set of headphones marked up to Oblivion.
                          Looking at the specs they have a really wierd impedance of 23. What Bluetooth connection is ever going to drive 23ohms?

Comment

Always nice to see:

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              Always nice to see:
                              Hardly universal booing, sounded like more were cheering. 50:50 at best.

Comment

Who claimed universal booing?

Comment

Working...
                                X