America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed up the nations
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 04-11-2021, 10:41.

Comment

Depp has won his latest legal battle with Heard as his legal team will now be given access to Amber Heard's phone data in order to verify that the actress faked the photo's of injuries she claims Johnny Depp gave to her.

Comment

"The 22-year-old former first-round NFL draft pick remained seated in a wheelchair"

Pretty sure that should have read "daft prick"

Comment

A Judge has ruled that the panel overseeing the Capitol attacks review can have access to Trump's White House records

Comment

Starting today Youtube is to hide all videos dislikes, allowing only the video creators to see them

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/10/...tor-protection
              Starting today Youtube is to hide all videos dislikes, allowing only the video creators to see them
              But not the likes... So a video talking about shooting up a school just looks like it has loads of likes. Nice one.

Comment

I don't really see the issue tbh, the creator can already turns these off from being displayed and what do they really serve apart from allowing an angry mob to mass hate videos and like vanity. You can still dislike videos.

We don't have dislikes on forum posts here either.

Comment

They do serve a purpose, I think, for YouTube.

YouTube gauges much of a video's success by engagement, which is often taken to mean "views" and "like-dislike ratio" as this is public information. The other stuff creators see is private. These values are actually used by companies who want to pay content creators for things like sponsorships (as they have to infer success & influence somehow).

The problem is, without dislikes being public, a video with tons of views could be considered successful - but with dislikes being public, a video with a million views and half a million dislikes is clearly a controversial/disliked topic.

The problem is that when you click on a YouTube video, you don't really know what's in it. The dislike button lets me say "I've added +1 to views, but I dislike this and I want other people to know that".

I really think they shouldn't get rid of them. It's not for any of the positive reasons people give; it's because corporate partners can be embarrassed by it, and that's why we really should want it to stay!

Comment

Except that's not really how it works - people like James Stephanie Sterling get massive dislike counts simply because she came out as non-binary. Content can be excellent and still be disliked bombed.

And as stated, they can already be turned off, so if a channel is particularly controversial, they aren't publically visible anyway.

Corporate partners don't assign adverts to videos, it's done by YT's algorithm and the counts still exist - it's more weighted towards keywords they do/don't want to be associated with and in terms of engagement, like/dislike ratio doesn't matter - the totals of these combined is higher engagement as far as the algorithm is concerned so is more likely to be bumped to the home page if either/both of these are high. So if anyone wants to go to my channel and like or dislike or leave a comment and don't forget to subscribe and ding that bell - it all helps me rank up

It's another storm in a teacup.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 11-11-2021, 14:25.

Comment

They should probably just drop the Likes count too, creator still sees the end result and it cuts the endorsement view risk element too. Video view counter alone is enough to see

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                        Corporate partners don't assign adverts to videos, it's done by YT's algorithm and the counts still exist - it's more weighted towards keywords they do/don't...
                        The adverts on videos are pennies. Even the creators with millions of subs don't earn much money from that. They earn their living from other means, be they Patreon etc. from viewers or, in the more common case, from sponsorships - notice how all the creators are shilling for NordVPN, or RAID: Shadow Legends, or SkillShare, or those sorts of things.

That's how they earn proper money, and those companies often evaluate whether to work with a creator based on that publicly accessible information.

Though the case with Sterling, they earn their money primarily through Patreon. And yes, it is **** that they drew so much ire when they came out.

I mean, this is definitely better for content creators. It's just some content creators are major corporate partners like EA getting tons of dislikes on videos about injecting gambling into their games, and that's the reason YT are doing it.

EDIT: To clarify, you can earn fair wedge from the automated YouTube ads. It's just that by the time you're doing this, your operation has probably grown to the point where it's a full-time job for multiple people, and it's nowhere near enough for that.
                        Last edited by Asura; 11-11-2021, 14:37.

Comment

Then I'd suggest it's even more important not to show them, that way coorporate partners can start making a judgement on the actual content, rather than the like/dislike ratio that is influenced by other things, often completely unrelated

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            Then I'd suggest it's even more important not to show them, that way coorporate partners can start making a judgement on the actual content, rather than the like/dislike ratio that is influenced by other things, often completely unrelated
                            I appreciate that.

I just really like the idea that in a world where the consumer can't really do much other than consume, the dislike button was at least a small way for the general public to give Activisition and the like a bloody nose if they do something ****ty.

Comment

They still can, they can leave a comment and actually the best thing they can do is NOT to engage with the video at all, like or dislike - as mentioned - disliking helps, so it's doing the exact opposite - it's all engagement which promotes the video to the top.

Comment

I don't comment, like or dislike. However, it was always good to know some racist pos had 17k dislikes. Now all I know is they have 4k likes.
                                Also, the racist pos knows I can only see the likes, which gives them a green light.

Comment

Working...
                                X