No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that the guys holding the axes are the problem, here.

Comment

We are definitely on the same page but that's the bit that a lot of the environmentalists miss. The **** I saw in SE Asia was mindboggling. Then you see how these guys live and it's kind of fair game unfortunately.

Comment

I think I've figured out a way to help the planet.
        We could all just not drive to work everyday, burning fuels and heating useless building. Pretty radical I know.

Comment

We go full circle to "What about pret?" unfortunately.

Comment

Guys don’t worry about it, were long past the point of no return, probably 50 years ago in reality. So don’t worry yourself, our species and our habitat are done long term.

Comment

Pret just launched the "Ultimate Human Annihilation Deal!". A single £5000 payment gets you two free coffees and a snack every day until you die, or humanity is wiped out, whichever comes first. Their marketing people have done the maths!

Comment

A second year see's a hugely inflated proportion of A-Level students receive A*'s and A's following teacher graded results in place of exams.
                I don't begrudge students getting the results instead of having their prospects hampered further with low results following disrupted learning but whenever I hear education figures argue the current system isn't skewing the results to soft grading it's a proper eye roll moment.

And Gavin Williamson finally says something agreeable - If you're a University that isn't running lectures, you shouldn't be charging full tuition fees for your course.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ded-top-grades
                  A second year see's a hugely inflated proportion of A-Level students receive A*'s and A's following teacher graded results in place of exams.
                  I don't begrudge students getting the results instead of having their prospects hampered further with low results following disrupted learning but whenever I hear education figures argue the current system isn't skewing the results to soft grading it's a proper eye roll moment.

And Gavin Williamson finally says something agreeable - If you're a University that isn't running lectures, you shouldn't be charging full tuition fees for your course.
                  20% increase in A grades in two years. Actual exams acted as a corrective to the predicted grades, which are always out of kilter as harassed teachers are under huge pressure from asinine managers to inflate ****, but now the brakes are off and it's fantasy time.

This mess serves no-one, least of all the students who might be celebrating today with better-than-expected results. I've worked in universities for 20+ years and the amount of fails we've had this year (from students who we were contractually obliged to take on their predicted grades but who really we're not at the right standard for their degrees) is higher than I've ever seen. There are armies of 'em doing resits, and lots will fail again and be swept out before year two. And it will happen again next year in even higher numbers. We've got all kinds of Covid-specific 'no detriment' arrangements that re-adjust overall module/programme averages marks based on previous years so that they don't fall too much lower, but given the increased amounts of students coming in we will still end up shoveling a fair number of them out. It's really bad - I feel sorry for them.

Frankly, as universities have managed to set/manage exams in the two years of Covid, I don't see why schools were not given the resource to do the same.
                  Last edited by Golgo; 10-08-2021, 10:40.

Comment

Probably is a sly way for underperforming colleges to lift themselves out of troubel too

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      Probably is a sly way for underperforming colleges to lift themselves out of troubel too
                      Only in the very short term, but it's self-defeating. Taking in poorer students is usually a recipe for disaster. They take more time and resource to teach and support, experience more problems academically and in terms of mental health, and graduate with lower grades. This sucks up the available time academics have for their own contractually-obligated research and publications, which likewise suffer. All this feeds into the various league tables and National Student Survey for bad publicity, and it's a downward spiral for the university from there, which will probably take a greater number of less capable students next year again purely for the cash. And so it goes round. Leicester University, for example, are right now trying to make up for another disastrous year by recruiting students down to CDD (even with this year's grade inflation): https://le.ac.uk/clearing2021?utm_so...t=london-boost. They're ****ed.
                      Last edited by Golgo; 10-08-2021, 12:47.

Comment

Honestly kids are absolutely delusional about the real world thanks to the internet, this will just making them even more so.

Participation trophy’s for everyone!
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 10-08-2021, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          Participation trophy’s for everyone!
                          My generation (born in the 80s) were often derided by the older, who said we all got "participation trophies".

So when this comes up, I find it important to state that we didn't give ourselves the trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            My generation (born in the 80s) were often derided by the older, who said we all got "participation trophies".

So when this comes up, I find it important to state that we didn't give ourselves the trophies.
                            i remember my son getting a participation medal at football they still singled out a number of individuals for putting in that extra commitment or for showing really sport-mans like behavior, and kids pick up on that as they know getting a medal for just turning up isnt as good as getting a trophie.

The only problem with my sons team was that the coaches son won a lot of these extra awards despite being an arrogant little cretin who didn't like sharing the ball and thew tantrums all the time. their was a snort and a laugh from the assembled parents when he called his own sons name out for "most sport-mans like behavior" though so you know a small win.

half the the team didn't go back the next season my son included as its all well and good giving up your free time to coach but when its purely done a as a vehicle to put your son front and center and live your fat middle aged football fantasy's then I'm not gonna pay to participate in your nepotism.

Comment

The head of the Oxford Vaccine Group has said that the Delta Variant has meant that reaching a state of herd immunity isn't possible. He told MP's that as the vaccines fail to stop transmission, instead only reducing it by 49%, it meant that the unvaccinated millions would remain at risk from COVID indefinitely

Comment

Eye roll time again as the gap between results in private schools and state ones has widened again. A whopping 45% of student in private schools this year were given A's or A*'s compared to 25% in 2019.Teacher assessed A/A* grades rode up to an eye watering 70%. The head of the exam regulator Ofqual has vowed that traditional examinations will return in the next school year. Ministers are also said to be looking at ideas related to flattening the results inflation. As many continue to claim it's a perfectly genuine outcome to see a huge surge in top scores during teacher grading, putting it on the performance of the students rather than issues with the system, it magically turns out that teacher graded results may have dolled out a huge increase in the number of top scores but the chances of getting an A/A* has actually declined if... you're poor or black.

The UK is on course to revive animal testing for beauty products, a reversal on a ban in place since 1998. Interestingly the change would be to allign us with a ruling in the EU.

Comment

Working...
                                X