No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some fatigue, but it's nothing to do with going into that miserable grief box five days a week and being micromanaged into doing my job badly. I go there once a week on a rota and I dread it. I don't want to see most of these people and I'm sure they don't want to see me, I don't need an office to provide me with social contact. If people want to have an office I'm sure they can do it without me being there.

For me, working from home been a silver lining that has made the last year a lot easier to cope with. If I could work from home permanently in a world where the pandemic has more-or-less gone, I would be a very happy man. If my work demand my full return, I will be looking elsewhere for new employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
      I understand why corporate real estate managers like this one in Canary Wharf want people back in offices, but the way the BBC leads on this kind of thing - with unsubstantiated statements about everyone wanting to be back in the office ASAP - needs to stop: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56237586
      Holy ****, that is an outrageously, nakedly duplicitous piece of propaganda.

As if what has been stressing people out during lockdown is working from home - it's everything else. The kids being at home with them and needing to learn in a whole new way, the lack of ability to leave the house for any reason other than essentials, the fear of getting ill or loved ones getting ill. Working from home, for most, has only made the whole nasty process actually slightly more feasible.

This is pure Government F.U.D.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Holy ****, that is an outrageously, nakedly duplicitous piece of propaganda.

As if what has been stressing people out during lockdown is working from home - it's everything else. The kids being at home with them and needing to learn in a whole new way, the lack of ability to leave the house for any reason other than essentials, the fear of getting ill or loved ones getting ill. Working from home, for most, has only made the whole nasty process actually slightly more feasible.

This is pure Government F.U.D.
        Indeed. It's 'trending' as one of the BBCs most read stories today, although to be fair the comments section (and bearing in mind BBC comments are rarely more than bottom-feeding fodder of the worst kind) are basically all telling the story/BBC to go and do one.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ght-in-england
          Border controls are as effective as ever as the new Brazilian COVID variant begins to make itself at home in the UK
          I saw the reporter ask Matt Handjob if the government was too slow to roll out the border quarantine. His answer... No.
          How can it be 'No' when the evidence is clearly YES?!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            I saw the reporter ask Matt Handjob if the government was too slow to roll out the border quarantine. His answer... No.
            How can it be 'No' when the evidence is clearly YES?!
            Im just shocked he actually gave a strait answer instead of a 5min rant to avoid anything but a yes/no.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Im just shocked he actually gave a strait answer instead of a 5min rant to avoid anything but a yes/no.
              The chinless twit is getting quite bolshie now as he genuinely thinks he's done a bang up job sorting out the pandemic.

Comment

It is ridiculous isn't it. He is the worst kind of politician.

Comment

The problem with any of these spacktards is that at any point they get a cabinet reshuffle & they move on to the next role
                  He doesn't give a damn because he knows full well he'll just get shifted on somewhere else
                  He never had a clue & it's getting worse

Neil

Comment

Honestly though, I hate to buck the trend here but I hate working from home, and I'm really looking forward to things going back to something resembling normal. Whilst I'm sure this situation will have a long-lasting effect of more people working from home than there were before, I'm really hoping it doesn't become a permanent thing; I like working in my office with other people. I'm already well sick of this ****ing room.

EDIT: To clarify, only when things are safer. I'm not advocating going back before then; I might hate this but I accept it's a necessary evil.

Comment

My hope is that some people wanting to work in an office doesn't mean that everyone else has to work in an office too. I'm not against people working in the office as long as I never have to join them.

Comment

It's a revolution of sorts. We office workers and our managers have all had our eyes opened to the flexibility of home work and almost the needlessness of offices. Work is a thing you do, not a place you go.
                        The government may want us to return, but managers and higher ups have the ability to say yes or no. And they've all been working from home too....

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Honestly though, I hate to buck the trend here but I hate working from home, and I'm really looking forward to things going back to something resembling normal. Whilst I'm sure this situation will have a long-lasting effect of more people working from home than there were before, I'm really hoping it doesn't become a permanent thing; I like working in my office with other people. I'm already well sick of this ****ing room.

EDIT: To clarify, only when things are safer. I'm not advocating going back before then; I might hate this but I accept it's a necessary evil.
                          I'm the same as you
                          I did the work from home bit & absolutely hated it
                          As soon as the office was made Covid safe I was straight back in
                          Have been back in the office since September & definitely don't want to work from home again

The novelty in the beginning was good but it soon wore off
                          I hated the mess it made of the house, the 2 monitors & desktop all over my dining room table, the never being able to see past the work, the lack of seeing anyone, it all just ground me down

So glad to be back, also the current state of the industry I'm in (shipping) means we need the team together to keep on top of stuff...we have so much extra European work going on after the Brexit fiasco that working alone from home just isn't feasible...we all need to be in the office to assist each other

I can't ever see me working from home again

Neil

Comment

I'm at home 4 days, and go into school on Fridays. Working from home has been much more difficult since mini-kryss arrived, and the cat decided that she wants my desk chair, so I'm either holding the baby or kneeling on the floor to type (like I am right now).
                            I only teach 6th form-equivalent, so only have to chase the kids who don't work. But the parents who have their kids online-only and don't know how to communicate are getting on my tits. You chose to keep your kids at home, you deal with the ****show.
                            All our schools have been open since September, bar two weeks before Christmas break when cases were skyrocketing (3000 cases a day when you really don't have a large population is a piss-take).

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                            Nah, honestly I don't see anything wrong with it. The people there are assessing their own risk.
                            Doubtful.
                            Last edited by kryss; 01-03-2021, 22:48.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              That is an interesting observation where he's now pontificating about the excellent job he's done, rather than previous wiffle waffle.

In other news, March 2nd is the anniversary of Boris Johnson finally attending a Cobra meeting about Coronavirus after missing the previous five.

Liz Gerard looks back to this time last year during which the UK Government laid the foundations for one of the highest rates of Coronavirus deaths in the world

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                                My hope is that some people wanting to work in an office doesn't mean that everyone else has to work in an office too. I'm not against people working in the office as long as I never have to join them.
                                Same, WFH has the following advantages for me

1) More sleep
                                2) Less cost
                                3) Quieter
                                4) Better coffee
                                5) Better food
                                6) Less travel
                                7) More free time
                                8) Less annoying people bothering me

Why would I want to go back into an office, increase my costs and carbon footprint and have to put up with more hassle and noise?

Comment

Working...
                                X