United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nonny View Post
    Yes but think of the boost to the economy...
    I guess it trickles down to Glazers and ambulance fleet repairs...

Comment

Exclusive: Commons Speaker asked to allow vote on inquiry as government spokesperson says ‘PM follows the ministerial code’

Six opposition parties have called for a vote to allow an investigation into Johnson's dishonesty

Comment

If I were Ian Blackford, I'd be *very* careful about signing such a motion, unless your farts smell of roses in the morning, Which his don't.

Comment

Why call it "failure to be honest"? Liar is the word.

Comment

Bit of a curveball here but I saw this at the weekend:

... and it's a really elegant example of why the BBC's documentaries will falter if they lose their special status.

tl;dw - Discovery Animal Planet claim to be the foremost purveyor of factual programming. Made some "documentaries" about fake stuff for entertainment purposes that were dressed up as actual documentaries. The docs were their most popular thing in years. Caused a load of people to believe in mermaids and that their government was lying to them.

This is what "the free market" gets you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Why call it "failure to be honest"? Liar is the word.
              Because you're not allowed to do so in the Houses of Parliament, you'd be reprimanded for it.

This isn't going to go anywhere, it's all showboating and neither do they really want it to - it won't be just an investigation into Johnson, it'd be expanded as a parliament wide thing. Given that politics is constitutionally corrupt, no MP really wants that as they're all at it to a greater or lesser extent - the very nature of being successful as an MP requires you to be a sleazy ratweasel.

You only have to look back at the expenses scandal to see how few didn't have their noses in the trough - nothing has really changed to a significant degree.
              Last edited by MartyG; 20-04-2021, 08:26. Reason: better link

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                Because you're not allowed to do so in the Houses of Parliament, you'd be reprimanded for it.
                This sort of thing is exactly the reason why the houses of parliament needs to be made into exactly what it already is - a museum.

A new, more functional building needs to be constructed in a cheaper city, and all of this crap (like turning one way to prevent scratching the seat with your sword) needs to be done away with.

The government would sort out the north east a tad quicker if we made the ****ers work in Hull.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  This sort of thing is exactly the reason why the houses of parliament needs to be made into exactly what it already is - a museum.

A new, more functional building needs to be constructed in a cheaper city, and all of this crap (like turning one way to prevent scratching the seat with your sword) needs to be done away with.

The government would sort out the north east a tad quicker if we made the ****ers work in Hull.
                  Just sounds like another fools plan for them to pump money into their pals/selves pockets then scrap the project because the budget ran out.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                    IPA is Indian, mate! Hogarth wouldn't stand for it!
                    Only in terms of India being the place where it was exported to the most back in the days of the old Empire.

IPA is very much English in origin.

Comment

Look at this ****?!

The prime minister and businessman sent text messages over plans for ventilators during the pandemic.

Comment

Remember the £2.6m Downing Street briefing room they built last month?

Johnson has axed plans for any more press conferences and only use it for ministers and officials and storing his Henry Hoover.

Wonder if he got sick of being asked questions?

Comment

I'm not sure I can watch that as I can imagine the awkwardness. Is it true that it's because the journo added it, because he was sick of them "screening" the questions (removing the point of the entire exercise)?

Comment

It's basically:

*2 minutes of waffle about planes and 'Jet Zero'*
                            "...and in answer to your second question, yes."

and he literally ends it there. The second question was 'Do you believe you acted with honesty and integrity?' in relation to the Arcuri affair.

Comment

Spending +100k of public funds for sex is not newsworthy - the government and BBC said so. Don't know what that journalist was thinking to even raising the matter.

Anyhow, what's to become of the press conference speaker woman they employed for Spaffer to hide behind? Is she to be given her P45, now?

Comment

Allegra Stratton was moved from being Johnson's Press Secretary to spokesperson on the climate change summit, Cop26.

I presume she'll retain her £125,000 salary.

Comment

Working...
                                X