United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
    The more I read about potential opening time frames the more I realise that I 100% would not miss pubs & restaurants if they NEVER opened again

Apart from the poor bastard's that would be out of work the thought of ever setting foot inside either again just doesn't interest me at all
    ... did you go to restaurants and/or pubs often pre-COVID? I know you've been quite vocal about wanting to get back to normal, so this just seems to fly in the face of what I was expecting!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      Pubs themselves can be profitable if they're in a decent location, a major reason for the repeated failure of pubs is greedy PubCos and their "tied house" system where they gradually bleed a landlord dry with slim margins until they give up, then wait for the next sucker to roll up with a bank loan/lump sum/redundancy payment and a dream. The PubCo knows nobody will ever turn the place around, they just keep taking the money.
      Sweet mother-of-pearl, that's depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        Pubs themselves can be profitable if they're in a decent location, a major reason for the repeated failure of pubs is greedy PubCos and their "tied house" system where they gradually bleed a landlord dry with slim margins until they give up, then wait for the next sucker to roll up with a bank loan/lump sum/redundancy payment and a dream. The PubCo knows nobody will ever turn the place around, they just keep taking the money.
        100% bang on, then. You've just described the Everards business model.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Many in that trade should take the consideration of shutting up shop, pubs and clubs were dying off before COVID so using it as a reason might look better than dragging it out till the eventual death rattle anyway. We have a corner in town with around 4 pubs/bars and in the last ten years I've lost count how many times they've closed down and been relaunched, it amazes me that anyone looks at a site and thinks "The last nine businesses here were pubs that failed, what this site needs is a new pub!"
          Same
          We have an area in town that at one point had 4 pubs all within a few metres of each other & they would change hands probably once a year on rotation
          Just same old stuff

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          ... did you go to restaurants and/or pubs often pre-COVID? I know you've been quite vocal about wanting to get back to normal, so this just seems to fly in the face of what I was expecting!
          No never been a big frequenter of either
          Used to do a restaurant maybe once every couple of months as a token thing with the other half but never really cared if I went or not
          Never did anything during that eat out debacle

No my main belly aching about getting back to normal is so I can get to do things I genuinely enjoy doing like going to the gym, taking Chloe on actual days out, go into HMV & proper shops again

Couldn't give a **** about pubs

Neil

Comment

Quickly cancels Neil's post-Covid celebration party at the Lion's Arms

Comment

To add a counterpoint, I love going to the pub and really miss it. And restaurants, too. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where we've got a pretty decent selection of quality delivery options, which have helped to maintain some variety over the past year, but forking stuff out of boxes and eating it in your jammies, while fun for a while, is not really the same thing as going out somewhere.

Comment

I miss a good restaurant or pub. The two main problems I have are:

1: I have children
                B: people that go to pubs are restaurants can be utter dicks who, in any other situation, I'd avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  To add a counterpoint, I love going to the pub and really miss it. And restaurants, too. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where we've got a pretty decent selection of quality delivery options, which have helped to maintain some variety over the past year, but forking stuff out of boxes and eating it in your jammies, while fun for a while, is not really the same thing as going out somewhere.
                  It's not just the good grub, it's time with your friends that's all part of the dining experience.
                  Can't wait to see my mates again, have some bants, beers and burger the size of a mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Quickly cancels Neil's post-Covid celebration party at the Lion's Arms
                    Ha ha sorry
                    I'd be happier with a garden party

To comment on [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] I admit we have done click & collect from TGI on quite a few occasions & to be fair with how simple it is it's become my preferred option & going forward likely to be the way we do it permanently

Neil

Comment

Personally, the thought of spending time in the gym or HMV (do people still actually do that?) is exactly the kind of thing to send me straight to the pub. Horses for courses.

Comment

Ha, I'm going to be stood half-way between the gym and the pub, so we can all say "hi" as we pass each other!

Comment

Gather the streaming devices in one room so you can have that pub ambiance while getting wasted and gradually pissing all over your jeans.

Ah, the memories.

Hot Chocolate Fest is happening here right now, and usually we would have been to 5 or 6 different places. We've been to and plan to go to zero.
                          And this is the first year my colleagues seem to want to go! Come on people, make your minds up.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            It's not just the good grub, it's time with your friends that's all part of the dining experience.
                            Can't wait to see my mates again, have some bants, beers and burger the size of a mountain.
                            Perhaps that's really the crux of the matter
                            I don't have friends so the pub etc. Are just something that I do with the other half

The only thing I'm really looking forward to is seeing my brother properly
                            We cross paths now but when we used to see each other for an evening once a week to watch anime I'm really missing it

Neil

Comment

Deffo going to organise another BD meetup when we're able to see each other again.
                              You'll have to come, Neil.

Comment

Come to the pub with us Neil. We will force you to like it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X