Wimbledon: Emma Raducanu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post

Last time I was so struck by the performance of a young women's tennis pro was way back with Maria Sharapova who I had seen play in the juniors a couple of years before she won Wimbledon at 17 years old. She went on to become at one time the wealthiest female sports star in the world until injury and a bad decision spoiled her reputation.
    Sharapova is a lying drug cheat who flounced out of the sport the moment she was exposed and unable to compete. No need to sully Raducanu with such a comparison.

Comment

I think she is capable of winning at least three of the four, clay will be interesting.

Agreed about Sports Personality she should take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Sharapova is a lying drug cheat who flounced out of the sport the moment she was exposed and unable to compete. No need to sully Raducanu with such a comparison.
        Far too harsh.

The anti-inflamatory medication she had been taking, then legally, after serious surgery was banned whilst she was still using it. I agree she must have had enough medical experts around her to have made sure she had stopped before the cut off date. I think that was the start of January 2016 but she was on it for a month after which resulted in a positive test.

I'd also point out she was cleared by a court of arbitration of using the drug to enhance her performance; they agreed it was just being used for legitimate medical reasons. But the fact is she was taking it after the ban so still considered legally guilty and the punishment reduced rather than rescinded.

Would you express such a Draconian viewpoint if say someone had, unknown to you, mistakenly put medically prescribed cannabis you had been using as a MS sufferer legally in one country into your suitcase when you were traveling to a country which had a strict drugs ban?

What about if you were traveling between countries were such medication is legal in both but the airplane was unexpectedly diverted for some reason to a place with strict drugs controls? That's very possible with long haul flights. Would a mandatory prison sentence or indeed any punishment be justified even though their laws were broken?

Comment

Raducanu's final was a real thrill ride and great tennis. So pleased for her.

Comment

I'm not bothered at all by the tennis but it was an eye roll moment at the weekend when my phone pinged with a news update for a piece about how analysts had chipped in saying her run of success has been reviewed and shows that it can't last etc. Jesus... give the girl five minutes to enjoy it. Perfectly summed up how the media feeds on the food of immediately tearing down any success that is had.

Hopefully she's able to remain focused and undeterred by such nonsense so able to have a long successful career. Feels like forever since a female tennis player has been able to capture the public attention.

Well, except that one scratching her behind in the poster

Comment

Congratulations to Piers Morgan, the real winner of the women's US Open:

Yeah, I need to avoid any Daily Express articles because you can feel them bristling to find a way to criticize her.
              At the moment, it's "she loves the Queen!", "Remainers outrageously praise her victory!" and "She's won millions of dollars, look!".

Comment

I'd heard what Piers Morgan said about his part in her success - incredible.

Comment

He's descending into Katie Hopkins territory. Just spouting increasing levels of BS in a desperate bid for relevance.

Comment

Piers ‘Morgan’ Moron is the best motivational coach in the world. That’s why you have sports stars worldwide lining up to hear his sage-like wisdom.

Amazing from Raducanu. Absolutely incredible. I’m not sure I can reference a more incredible sporting achievement from an individual.

Comment

Unfortunately this time ER went out of Wimbledon in the second round after a decent first round win.

I was watching another rather good British player, Katie Boulter on the TV coverage at Devonshire Park, Eastbourne last week and meant to mention that then. She played some amazingly good tennis.

Currently she is up against the same pretty good opponent she beat there, Karolina Pliskova, at Wimbledon (BBC1) and the match is playing out in very similar fashion. KB losing the first set but then getting into the second, winning it then playing some excellent tennis to win the third.

At this time 3:3 in the third.

A British player to watch perhaps in the absence of ER and Jamie Murray, if she beats Pliskova.

EDIT
                      Yay, she just did it. Very good final set.
                      Last edited by fallenangle; 30-06-2022, 14:39.

Comment

Pure hottake but I have a feeling ER simply had a great surprise run last year and will never be a real force in womens tennis

Comment

I think she has the talent but sacking a coach after just winning a GS is a rarity plus it seems she's been more interested in getting advertising and sponsorship deals.

Once she gets her head sorted I think she'll be ok, particularly as the women's game is a bit poor at the moment.
                          Last edited by Anpanman; 01-07-2022, 20:25.

Comment

Yes, I agree ER does have to knuckle down and produce some decent runs in major tournaments if her celebrity is to be maintained at its current level.

She is still young so there's plenty of time but she might not win a grand slam again, how many do? Only the tennis machines can manage that and there are literally dozens of players who are good enough to win major tournaments. The competition is huge.

But if she's in the top 20 players for a significant length of time then she'd still be the most successful British female player in decades and possibly of all time.

She did not win the US Open by accident or luck - that can never be taken away from her.

Comment

Just finished watching the Wimbledon women's invitation final - like the years had rolled back: Kim Clijsters & Martina Hingis versus Daniela Hantuchová and Laura Robson.

Enjoyably good match to watch with some excellent doubles play - Hingis in particular, world class at the net.

TBH I never took much notice of her during her singles career. But when she came back after a bit of a hiatus and concentrated on the doubles and mixed doubles instead - wow. The stats don't lie, one of the women's tennis greats and can still cut the mustard at 40+ years old.

Comment

Working...
                              X