BPX063: Fireworks Over Fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPX063: Fireworks Over Fireworks

A debate is currently going on due to the imminent arrival of Bonfire Night over whether fireworks should largely still be allowed in their current form. Their explosive nature isn't the reason for the debate though, rather than their noise.

Some are citing their dislike of the bangs they make, some the distress to animals.

Calls range from demands that only silent fireworks be sold as well as fireworks no longer being available for public sale rather only for large displays, all the way to an outright ban.

Should fireworks be restricted or banned or is the latest call against them a case of:

Allow Them
    0%
    Silent Fireworks Only
    0%
    Large Displays Only
    0%
    Ban Them
    0%

As much as i liked them as a kid, im happy for them to go away now to be honest. Reason for this is we had a massive car accident right outside our house last year where the 1 car was catastrophically side swiped and had its engine shunted out the other side of it, this caused a massive bang like a bomb going off, the dog was minding her own business in the garden when this happened and is now absolutely petrified of bangs.

Takes me an hour now to calm her down when fireworks go off, so im personally happy for them to go away for public purchase and have them restricted to big displays done by and organisation.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 03-11-2021, 14:27.

Comment

Don't think there's any need to ban them, but does anyone else find fireworks displays basically quite boring?

Comment

I voted for banning them because for the last three years I've owned a dog and she gets distressed by them. That's the only reason. I used to like to going to firework displays. Sorry to be a fun killer but because my dog hates them, I hope everyone involved suffers a terrible fireworks based accident.

Comment

Growing up where I grew up, kids would aim fireworks at passing traffic and dog walkers.
          One time they got a stockpile, built a bonfire around it and lit it up.

What I'm saying is, it's beyond just noisy past 11pm. It's like a warzone in some places. They need banning.

Comment

I wouldn't mind if it was limited to just the one night - but it goes on for weeks around here.

Comment

Yep, same here… where fireworks are banned.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                Don't think there's any need to ban them, but does anyone else find fireworks displays basically quite boring?
                Oh, thank God somebody else said it!!

"Ooh, aah. That's how it always starts" followed by "my feet are cold. How much longer does this go on for? That was a bit ****".

Comment

This is the thing it’s supposed to be 1 night which I wouldn’t mind, instead we now get over a week of the dog hiding under her blanket next to me shaking in fear each evening.

Comment

I used to enjoy them as a kid but then they were more about being 'pretty', now it seems the accent on fireworks is how loud they can make them.

They go off all year where we live and New Year and Christmas people are setting them off even before midday. Obviously on bommie night it ramps up massively and the noise is non-stop. Our cat seems to get through it okay but it's such a shame for the animals that are terrified of the noise.

Comment

I really like it.
                      The last few years, four families have met up and we've all cooked food like jackets and chilli, put on a small fireworks display then have some pudding and roast marshmallows on a firepit.

The kids love it and we all have a lovely evening.

Totally agree that it's annoying that it seems to drag on for too long, but I think it overlaps with Diwali, which is the 4th Nov this year, but late October next year, so it appears to last longer.

I also agree they shouldn't be set off after 10pm, but that's the law anyway, well 11pm.

I also agree that massive displays get boring after a while and I run out of superlative vowels - "aaaaa! Eeeee! Oooooo! UuuuUUUuu!"

I do feel bad for pet owners.

Comment

Animals need to toughen up, fireworks are great!

Comment

Voted for organised displays only

Really don't see any reason why you need them at home, never understood the fun of them

Neil

Comment

Large displays only ta, there are twats setting them off in the park by me all summer.

Comment

Also, probably worth remembering what is being celebrated here - it's celebrating the fact that Guy Fawkes failed to blow up parliament and was burnt at the stake for it - the celebration was forcefully introduced to remind you that the plot failed and that you'll be punished for it if you try to do it again.

Not that I advocate trying to blow up parliament again (however tempting that may be at the moment), but you're celebrating burning people alive.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 04-11-2021, 10:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X