Being bad at maths as an adult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being bad at maths as an adult

Looking for ideas… Basically, I struggle with even simple primary school level maths. It does affect my day to day, to be honest. Bugger all ways to get round it though, as far as I can tell. I spoke to my GP about getting assessed for dyscalculia, but I’d have to pay a lot of money privately for that, and a label by itself won’t be much practical help. Is there much I can do as an adult? Some of the modern tech does help (smart phones so don’t have to input phone numbers, more widespread electronic payment in shops so no need for counting coins, etc), but even then it’s very limiting as much as I’d imagine not being able to read it.

I suck at maths too but I did find a scanned book on the internet which was basically a load of 'cheats' for maths that really helped me. It depends on your level, but its clear that school didn't teach me all the short cuts that help. Might be worth looking into.
    If I can find it I'll update this with the link...

What do you know, I found it! It looks quite daunting, but it's really good.
    Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 27-04-2022, 10:29.

Comment

I manage to run a business despite being dyslexic and number blind so its certainly not life stopping, its not so bad i cant see numbers like some people get, but anything more than basic adding up and I'm knackered, ill also forget numbers after about 10 seconds if i get distracted. Anything written down starts to shift around on the page after a while, but spreadsheets I'm fine with though, must be something about being able to organise it how i want.

To get though things when i haven't got my phone with me for the calculator I've learned to just fudge things in my head, like instead of adding up like normal people ill have to take away, odd things like that. Mostly though i keep away from maths and it leaves me alone, as im using 10X more effort than i really should be for simple stuff.

Comment

I assume [MENTION=15749]Protocol Penguin[/MENTION] that you haven't tried an evening class?

I had an experience a few years ago where I went to swimming lessons, because although I could swim, I'd never had any formal lessons and I've never been all that good at it. I felt nervous going into it, but it actually went really well.

Comment

I've forgotten how to swim twice. I also sink rather than float when lying on my back in water adface:

Comment

I failed my maths test so many times I cannot even count. Seriously though I sucked at maths but found when I worked in a shop for a while even though it calculated the change I would practice working it out in my head and became a lot bettee

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
              I failed my maths test so many times I cannot even count. Seriously though I sucked at maths but found when I worked in a shop for a while even though it calculated the change I would practice working it out in my head and became a lot bettee
              Good for you. Just gotta work on that spelling now! ;-)

Comment

My sister was in a similar position and took an evening class for adults. She found it hugely helpful and it helped her gain a lot of confidence wiht it. I think it's worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  I manage to run a business despite being dyslexic and number blind so its certainly not life stopping, its not so bad i cant see numbers like some people get, but anything more than basic adding up and I'm knackered, ill also forget numbers after about 10 seconds if i get distracted. Anything written down starts to shift around on the page after a while, but spreadsheets I'm fine with though, must be something about being able to organise it how i want.

To get though things when i haven't got my phone with me for the calculator I've learned to just fudge things in my head, like instead of adding up like normal people ill have to take away, odd things like that. Mostly though i keep away from maths and it leaves me alone, as im using 10X more effort than i really should be for simple stuff.
                  That sounds almost exactly how I feel and think when attempting maths. Remarkably similar experiences. (I have dyslexia too, diagnosed when I was 19, FWIW.)

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I assume [MENTION=15749]Protocol Penguin[/MENTION] that you haven't tried an evening class?

I had an experience a few years ago where I went to swimming lessons, because although I could swim, I'd never had any formal lessons and I've never been all that good at it. I felt nervous going into it, but it actually went really well.
                    Way outside my price range, I’m afraid.

Comment

I think you can get free GCSE Maths these days you know. I looked into it myself a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                        Way outside my price range, I’m afraid.
                        There seem to be quite a few free online options here:

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Good for you. Just gotta work on that spelling now! ;-)
                          I will have you know I am a Ferpect Spiller

Comment

Something I've been meaning to do for ages is learn my times tables again.
                            It's so handy to know them off-by-heart for faster calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Something I've been meaning to do for ages is learn my times tables again.
                              It's so handy to know them off-by-heart for faster calculations.
                              Temp ban request for being dyslexic’ist against number blind afflicted.

Comment

Working...
                              X