Microphone Recommended for Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone Recommended for Videos

Greetz, as it used to say on pirated software.

I’m about 70% of the way towards doing a YouTube channel thing where I talk about some of the computer games (but weird ones like we have on here), but I’m missing one major bit of equipment and I’m not too sure where to start. It’s one thing I really don’t know much about as whilst I am happy to mess around with video recording and editing, I’ve never had a need to record my voice.

Basically I need a half-decent microphone to record audio. Probably not for streaming, but would be a bonus. Don’t need it to be “mobile” really, just plugged into the PC will suffice as the acoustics are alright in that room so long as the cable is long enough (but I’ll probably create one of those rubbish little boxes full of soundproofing to speak into).

This is hobbyist level stuff so I don’t really want to spend a fortune, but I don’t want it to sound utterly dreadful if I can avoid it. Was looking to spend something like £50 if that doesn’t sound laughably unrealistic. Not looking for reference quality or YouTube cash cow production level, but a few steps above “northerner shouting into laptop mic” would be great. If anyone’s got any other tips, it’s appreciated.

I've been using a Blue Yeti for the last 6 or 7 years.
    It has multiple mics allowing for direct, omni, stereo, mono and more recording modes.
    This is the one I have but mine is silver, not black.

Don't forget to get yourself a pop filter as well. Don't pay stupid money for one. Even a cheap one will gain you the same results. 15 pounds or less I'd what you want to be paying. Or go super ghetto and make one from a wire coat hanger and some old tights.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 03-11-2023, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Don't forget to get yourself a pop filter as well.
      Ta, I've just learned what a pop filter is I always wondered what those circular things were.

Every day's a schoolday.

Comment

You can go the USB mic route (the Blue Yeti is decent as Yakumo mentioned above, I have one), or you can go down the audio interface route with an XLR mic which will allow you to upgrade the mic later if you like (which is what I use for my streams).

You can pick up used Focusrite kit a reasonable price: interface and mic - that's a dynamic mic, or a condenser, there's not really a lot in it tbh, they just work in slightly different ways. C-1 is entry-level, but they work well enough.

The Blue Yeti Nano is close to your budget used, I'd steer away from the Snowball, I found them pretty terrible.

You probably want a stand of some sort and anti-shock, if you put a mic on a desk, you'll pick up a lot of vibration and knocking.

If you want to see comparisons of different mics and how they sound, Podcastage is worth a look.
        Last edited by MartyG; 03-11-2023, 20:39.

Comment

Cheers for recommendations! I think I’ll probably need to bite the bullet and spend a bit more, probably makes more sense than buying twice. Good call on anti-shock as well, it will be on a desk that isn’t the most sturdy out there so could well have vibrations.

I think probably best I buy a pop filter, if I start making them from tights the missus will break my legs. Also remembered I have a bit of Amazon credit I’d forgotten about so that’s a chunk off. Plus due a refund back on a broken controller some dope sent.

Never liked the sound of my voice being recorded, but I’ll get over it. Will be something to get started with in the bleak winter months, especially as in my opinion we are somewhat underserved for obscure/import content (apart from the same old ones parroted over and over again).

Comment

[MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION] I have a focusrite audio interface I no longer need. It's the 2i2 model. Mint condition. Hit me up on PM, I'll let it go for a good price stranger!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              I've been using a Blue Yeti for the last 6 or 7 years.
              Looks like I will be soon too! Was expecting to wait until the new year so I could do it properly (buy cheap, buy twice etc), but I was doing some last minute Christmas shopping and noticed I had a load of unredeemed Amazon gift card balance from some weird deal they had a while back. Even had enough for a pop filter. It's a Christmas miracle!

Also ordered Left Alive on the PS4 for £4.99, because I'm not having people tell me something is a bad game when I think it looks OK and it probably is OK (by my admittedly fairly low standards).

Comment

Now that is a Christmas miracle 😀

Comment

The real Christmas miracle is whether Amazon manage to ship it to a locker tomorrow with it being on the final week for people to get their presents in. I live in a big cluster of their distribution centres (nearest one is 5 minutes drive) and they still seem to miss their delivery times.

As an aside, wouldn't normally spring for fancy shipping, but they gave me a free Prime trial. I order infrequently enough from them that I seem to be offered a free trial almost every time I order something, which I use and then cancel. Must be on my 7th or 8th free trial by now. Hoping that at some point I'll have eroded Jeff Bezos' fortune enough that his card gets declined when paying for a big gold yacht or whatever, doubt it though.

Comment

We've had two free Prime's and like you cancel straightaway. We coincide with a tennis tournament they are covering.

Comment

Bloody hell, that was quick - they dumped the mic and the pop filter in the locker like they said (for once). I'm very impressed with it Yakumo , I've barely done any set up and it's 60mph winds blowing against my window and despite that it still sounds pretty good to me. This test video is more-or-less straight out of the box with no filters, will do a fair bit more setup when I've not got a headache, a gale blowing against the roof and the absolutely tiny USB cable it came with making me have it somewhere not ideal.

Jef Jansens! What a guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X