This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W1p30uT View Post

I have a VISA electron card [/SIZE]Richard.John do you have any idea if this will work in Citibank?
    I do and from my experience the answer is a firm no as far as I'm aware Visa/Mastercard are the only reliable cards to work in Japan and best used in the Post office cash machine. You can get travellers cheques make sure there Yen one's though as I don't think they like Sterling travellers cheques in Japan. As above try to take cash though kept safe. Use the safe at yr hotel/Ryokan and get a money belt. Hope that helps

Comment

I am off in three weeks and I emailed my bank today (Cahoot) and they said my card would work in any ATM with a Visa symbol on it.

Comment

The problem I had with using an ATM in Tokyo (once I'd found a citibank) was knowing what sort of account my Lloyds TSB account is. On the Japanese ATM I had the option of "checking", "savings" and two others. None of which would let me withdraw cash.

Luckily most places I went shopping took cards, they seemed to be moving towards chip & pin in a big way.

Ho hum...at least I've got 6 1/2 months before I go back again to figure out what type of bank account I have

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet View Post
          I am off in three weeks and I emailed my bank today (Cahoot) and they said my card would work in any ATM with a Visa symbol on it.
          That's the problem as the VISA sign on ATMs has some wording in English underneath which says 'Japan issued cards only'.

Citibank and Pot office ATMs do work (possibly not then for Electron) but are harder to find .
          Last edited by Richard.John; 31-07-2007, 01:20.

Comment

Man, I have no idea how to start planning for going on holiday in somewhere like Japan.

Like, where to go! So so much to see and do and think about for just living there. Is there a flat guide that someone has written that I could just follow? From flights to transfers to travel to places to visit.

Oh, and what not to do as I don't want to get arrested or anything.
            Last edited by IanE; 31-07-2007, 02:28.

Comment

Hi all, on holiday from Kyushu in Kyoto. Wondered if anyone knew where the A-Too was in Kyoto?? OR of any decent retro stores here know there are supposed to be a few but no idea where?
              cheers
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Hi all, on holiday from Kyushu in Kyoto. Wondered if anyone knew where the A-Too was in Kyoto?? OR of any decent retro stores here know there are supposed to be a few but no idea where?
                cheers
                Compared the Tokyo I found next to nothing retro-wise in Kyoto. There was one decent(ish) store in Gion, but I can't remember the name of it, or where it was to save my life.

Comment

Sorry to go off topic, but I had prolly the nicest noodles EVAH in Gion. Was in some tiny joint tucked away near a river.

Comment

cheers anyway no worries i'll take a look in Osaka again friday was there a coupla months back and not that impressed but i'll take a look again - cheers.
                    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Anyone? :S

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I have got my money and travelers cheque sorted. Just two days before I go now! However the one thing that still bugs me is the seat reservation for the Narita express train on the site it has:

"Reservations can be made one month in advance. Please inquire at JR Reservation Ticket Offices, View Plaza (Travel Service Centers), JR East branch offices, or major travel agencies."

Does this mean I can phone my local travel agent and get a reservation? Is this really a big deal or can I just buy a ticket when I get to the airport and jump on the next train that comes?

Comment

When I went to Japan, armed with my JR visitor's pass, as we arrived at a station, we booked our train for the next part of the trip a couple of days later.

That tactic seemed to work great!

Have a great time!

Comment

My tickets for the Ghibli Museum arrived today, off on Sunday and cannot wait. Only problem is the stupid temperatures - 39 degrees C. I expect I will die.

Comment

The Ghibli Museum rocks!!1!

You can get a "Neko Bus" to the museum from the station itself, but it's actually a nice walk down there, IMO.

Comment

Yeah the walk is lovely. Also, there is an actual neko bus at the museum but, spoil sports that they are, they only allow children on it. Upon hearing this news my girlfirend looked at me and later told me she thought I was about to charge in flinging children out of the way... my shoes were already off.

Stupid rules. <grumble>

Comment

Working...
                                X