Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin Jol put out quite an experimental side in that match as well, playing 4-3-3 with Robbie Keane playing just behind Defoe and Berbatov. The midfield three was Huddlestone, Ghaly and Tainio. Wayne Routledge played as well, at right back! You never know, could be a good move, Zambrotta started on the wing and went back into defence, so maybe Routledge can turn out as good as him

Comment

What do you guys think of Jermaine Jenas, i'm a newcastle fan - and being honest he was utter wank at us. He did nothing, im not sure what his job was attacking midfield, defensive midfield couldn't do either just pass the ball sideways.

just interested to know, if you have seen the better side of his play..

Comment

I thought Jenas did OK for us, and chipped in with a few important goals. Jol tended to play him all over the place though - sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left, and sometimes in the middle alongside Carrick.

He looks to have two major stumbling blocks to being a great premiership midfielder, especially if you compare him to the likes of Gerrard and Lampard, namely the inability to dominate a game (i.e. a bit lightweight), and a lack of composure in front of goal. I guess if Carrick does end up at Man Utd, we could see a Zokora/Jenas central midfield.

I'm not sure why we bought him for ?7m, to be honest, as we were overloaded with CMs at that point and he wasn't any better than what we already had.

Comment

Our third kit launches on Sunday to coincide with the game with Inter. It's apparently "chocolate and gold" which is bizarre. It doesn't look too bad and I might get it depending on what the away kit looks like. Definitely getting the home kit.

Comment

Another pre-season friendly win tonight, 3-0 away at Stevenage. Should have been double figures according to the report on the Spurs web site, apparently their goalkeeper made fifteen saves!

Defoe got two goals and Berbatov got the other. Both seem to be really playing well, let's hope they can both carry it on into the season proper and both get around the 20 goal mark. Not sure of the formation but the web site says Tainio was a makeshift fullback. The team was: Cerny, Tainio, Assou-Ekotto, Huddlestone, Dawson, King (O'Hara, 85), Ghaly (Routledge, 46), Davids, Berbatov (Barnard, 82), Keane (Ifil, 75), Defoe.

Hopefully we can keep the winning run going against Inter on Sunday! I'll be there, and with a bit of luck we'll repeat the result we had from the last friendly I saw, which was our 2-0 win over Porto last year (where Defoe scored a superb chip down the end we were sitting).

Comment

I have already mentioned it in the transfer speculation thread but it looks like Carrick might be on his way to Manchester United. Various websites are reporting the story which originated on the Setanta Sports website earlier this evening. According to the report the price is 17 million quid.

Comment

I hope it's not true, as I don't like us selling out top players, but 17 million quid is hard to turn down. We're making a nice profit on him and we already have a replacement in Zokora. If there's one area where we can afford to sell players, it's central midfield, we're more than covered. Hopefully we can put the money to good use by signing a couple more world class players in different positions to make the squad more rounded.

Comment

As much as I rate Carrick, I would bite Man Utd's hand off if they were to offer ?17 million.

Comment

So what we gonna do with the money? And what a lot it is, lol, not worth that much imo.

2 full backs are needed imo, one on either side. Also a left winger like Downing would be welcome.

Hope we get someone in soon mind as season is just 3 weeks away.

Comment

Kewell I read? Gonzalez sounds a danger freak so he could be liver ousted.

Comment

Originally posted by Del Boy
                        So what we gonna do with the money? And what a lot it is, lol, not worth that much imo.
                        I have to say i am still amazed that United were willing to pay that much. SSN have reported that the final total could be as high as 19 million quid if you include add-ons. Don't get me wrong i've been a massive fan of Carrick since he has been at the Lane but there is no way he is worth that sort of cash. The price we negotiated is even more amazing when you consider he only had 2 years left on his contract, stated he wasn't going to sign a new contract and also stated he wanted to leave the club. Given all that you would assume United would have been in a position of strength.

What to do with the cash? Good question.

First of all i will eat my hat if we sign Kewell. From what i've read he wants stupid wages and when you also take into account his recent injury problems then its a big no no. Seriously, no chance.

If you read the Spurs forums the decent itks (people who got Berbatov, Zokora, Duff to Newcastle all correct) seem to be suggesting we are in for Martin Petrov of Athletico Madrid. I'll be honest i don't know enough about him to give a honest opinion. Maybe a Bulgarian buddy for Berbie? If we don't get Petrov then Downing seems to be next on this list.

The only other position we need reinforcements for is the RB spot. It will be interesting to see if the Chimbonda deal finally goes through. I'm not totally convinced by him, one good season in the Premiership and 28 years old and they want 6 million. I'm just not sure. No clue on what the realstic alternatives would be.

Anyone going to the Inter game on Sunday btw? I know its only a friendly but i'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully Zokora will get a run out.
                        Last edited by PH; 28-07-2006, 20:53.

Comment

As a lifelong Spurs supporter (south stand - the best place at the Lane) I can honestly say that if Carrick does not want to play for spurs then Jol is right to get rid of him. Recently Robbo, Ledley and Lennon have signed new contracts, pledging their immediate future to the club and these are the players that Spurs needs at the club.

Carrick for me, although a good player, is not bigger than the club, and if the alledged matched wage to that of Ledley is not enough then I'll be glad to see the greedy ****er go.

I really do hope he is about on Sunday so that I (and the rest of Park Lane) can boo him off the pitch.

Good riddance I say.

Simon

Comment

I've never really rated Carrick that highly, from what I've seen of him. He is a good player, but not worth the 17m-19m manu are paying for him imo, but thats good for us.

If we do get a RB, I hope we get Miguel (spelling) from portugal, for the last 4 years I've seen him he has been great, although I haven't seen him in a lot of games....

Downing will be a good signing if it finally happens, at least until we get a world class LW later! I don't understand people dissing him, as everyone already knows he's not world class, we have to get the best we could at our level.

Comment

Howdy spurs fans, sunderland fan here just wanted your thoughts on andy reid. Seems quinny is interested in him i know he was a canny player at forest but i havent seen much of him at spurs whats the crack with him.

Comment

Well he likes his pies.

Comment

Working...
                                X