No announcement yet.

Shearer takes charge at Newcastle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, but there comes a point when managers have to lose the naive belief that he can control his attitude problem. Does anyone really think he has the potential to ever become a "shining beacon"?

Can he really sink any lower? A disgraced player given another chance by a troubled side who pay him a stupid amount, spends a large part of the season injured and then, when they need him most, does something incredibly stupid and then throws a hissy fit at the manager.

Comment

LOL if he rows with the Golden Boy he should be hounded out of St James'. They owe him nothing.

Comment

Joey Barton is a liability and a troublemaker - both on and off the pitch. He is beyond redemption and no club should touch him with a barge pole.

Comment

With all the chances he's been given and punched and kicked away, he deserves to rot in a low placed championship side with no hope of promotion.

Comment

Portsmouth.

Deffinately stupid enough.

Comment

I read this morning that he called Shearer a **** manager with **** tactics.

Fair point, well made IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                I read this morning that he called Shearer a **** manager with **** tactics.

Fair point, well made IMO.
                That's true... But you don't diss Shearer down the toon.

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                With all the chances he's been given and punched and kicked away, he deserves to rot in a low placed championship side with no hope of promotion.
                Newcastle?

Comment

The misdemeanours of J Barton:

February 2004: Picks up the first red card of his career during Manchester City's FA Cup fourth-round tie at Tottenham Hotspur, sealed with a second yellow for arguing with the referee at half-time.

April 2004: Leaves Eastlands Stadium before kick-off - and without manager Kevin Keegan's permission - after being left out of the team to play Southampton.

July 2004: Incites a 10-man brawl during City's pre-season friendly at Doncaster after a violent challenge on Rovers' player Paul Green. Barton is substituted for his own safety by Keegan, who says: "I don't want to stop him being tenacious, but I want him to remember what football is all about."

December 2004: Stubs a lit cigar in the eye of City youth-team player Jamie Tandy at the club Christmas party, after apparently discovering Tandy attempting to set fire to his shirt. Barton apologises and is fined six weeks' wages. Last month Tandy, now 24, revealed he was suing Barton after suffering "a major psychiatric deterioration" following the incident.

May 2005: Breaks the leg of a 35-year-old pedestrian while driving his car through central Liverpool at 2am.

June 2005: Sent home from City's pre-season tour of Thailand after a brawl in the team hotel, in which Barton slaps a teenage Everton fan and bites team-mate Richard Dunne's finger while being restrained. Fined £120,000 and ordered to seek counselling for drink and anger problems.

September 2006: Drops his shorts in front of Everton fans at Goodison Park. Merseyside Police investigate but take no action. Barton is fined £2,000 by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute.

December 2006: Causes a stir by criticising England players for publishing autobiographies after the 2006 World Cup, saying: "England did nothing in that World Cup, so why were they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals. I played like ****. Here's my book.' Who wants to read that?"

March 2007: Arrested on suspicion of vandalising a taxi after the driver refused to wait at a McDonald's in Liverpool. Later cleared when his cousin Joshua Wilson confesses.

April 2007: Criticises his club's performances and recruitment policy. "It just feels like this club is praying to get the right players this summer," he says. "We can't gamble on players who have scored six goals in six games in the Pontins League or in Belgium." City manager Stuart Pearce bans him from speaking to the media.

May 2007: Assaults team-mate Ousmane Dabo during a City training session. Dabo is admitted to hospital with a damaged cornea and retina in his left eye.

October 2007: Marks his Premier League debut for Newcastle by appearing to raise his foot dangerously in a challenge with Sunderland's Dickson Etuhu, an incident overlooked by the referee. Barton later apologises.

December 2007: Attacks a 16-year-old boy outside a Liverpool city centre branch of McDonalds in the early hours of the morning after drinking 10 pints and five bottles of lager.

May 2008: Jailed for six months for assault. "You drank to excess and behaved in an aggressive, disgraceful manner," says the sentencing judge.

November 2008: In his fourth game back playing for Newcastle following release from prison, Barton becomes involved in an incident with Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor.

May 2009: Sent off on his return from long-term injury for lunging into Xabi Alonso during Newcastle's 3-0 defeat to Liverpool. Suspended by the club two days later following an alleged row with manager, Alan Shearer.

from the guardian.

Comment

But apart from that he's a fairly quiet lad and keeps to himself, right?

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
                      December 2006: Causes a stir by criticising England players for publishing autobiographies after the 2006 World Cup, saying: "England did nothing in that World Cup, so why were they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals. I played like ****. Here's my book.' Who wants to read that?"
                      Guy has clearly used up all his second chances and has "issues" (read: he's a nob) but I do have to give him credit for coming out with the above quote.

It's brilliant!

Comment

In the mirror they claim the arguement was over Barton commenting on how at least he was putting in the effort...now I don't condone his actions (although this particular red card was no worse than a challenge another player put in earlier in the match, two footed and looked worse imho, though didn't make the same contact) but you have to say, Newcastle just aren't putting in the effort they should be.

Still a first class c*nt though and I'd imagine this signals the end of his career, certainly at this level, which...in some small way is a shame as he's clearly a talented player, but an absolute head-case.

The worrying thing is that we (Bolton) were apparently in for him a while back and this obviously signals his way out of Toon, I really hope we aren't tempted.
                        Last edited by Jebus; 05-05-2009, 15:52.

Comment

Bolton seem perfect for him. Or any team touched by the hand of Allardyce.

Newcastle, then.

Comment

Newcastle have been playing like they were already relegated for a couple of weeks. Shearer's trial by fire against chelsea probably killed off any fighting spirit they had left. Barton's approach is wrong too, effort is one thing, the right kind of attitude is another.

Fits of rage and undermining the manager won't help a struggling team.

Comment

Newcastle's problem is not Barton, their problem is that as one of the top six wage spenders in the league, they created a single chance on Sunday. From distance.
                              They had some "battlers" in the middle in Smith, Butt and Barton but to say they were chasing shadows would be inaccurate - they did not even seem to be chasing! I would question dropping Owen - he is the best in the business at making the best of a poor ball, imho, that is just pinging about in the box.

Comment

I think dropping Owen was more of a publicity stunt. If they lost, it'd be because "we were playing Liverpool, they're in form and one of the best teams in the league" and nothing Owen could've done could prevent it. If they somehow got a result it'd be because "omg Shearer is a genius, I knew playing 10 up front would work!"

Comment

Working...
                                X