No announcement yet.

Champions League 2009/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly, there's no easy way through for this trophy anymore. I do love my team (Forest) and love that we won it two years running, but to win it in the current format needs so much more ability than it's ever needed before.

Comment

Originally posted by neoboy259 View Post
      If you wanna win the Champions League you will have to face, and beat, the best teams at some point.
      I know, we just seem to play against the same teams every year. Just look at the number of times we've played liverpool and barcelona. No worries against going against good sides, we've shown that we can equal or outmatch any side in Europe, I just like a bit of variety.

That said, I think if 3-4 English teams make it to the semis again this year, UEFA will act in one of three ways : lower the number of teams to 3, removing the country protection or only having one or two seeded teams. They made it perfectly clear last year they didn't want an all English final again.

Comment

Most surprising result in today's matches was at the Nou Camp where Barcelona lost 2-1 to Rubin Kazan. Liverpool slumped to another defeat but until it's mathematically impossible for them to qualify for the next phase, no one should write them off just yet...

The pick of tomorrow's games will see the two most successful teams in the history of the European Cup face off against each other - Real Madrid vs AC Milan. Should be interesting, not least for Kaka.

Comment

Did you see the goals in that one? Some stunning stuff.

Comment

Madrid vs Milan turned into a great match in the second half. Great to see Ronaldinho put in a good performance again and Milan deserved the win in the end. Nice to see the old guard can still turn it on

Comment

So, while Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea are making light work of their groups, the other glamour sides in Europe are having a far harder time of it.

Barcelona only took 1 point from their two games against the Russian champions Rubin Kazan, that group is still wide open with any of the four teams able to take it.

And Milan, Real and Marseille are contesting a very close group as well.

Seville are through, I think Bordeaux might be (dont have their head to head record handy, so not sure if Bayern can overhaul them or not). Porto are through, they're in Chelsea's group and that ones basically over.
              Last edited by Flabio; 04-11-2009, 20:48.

Comment

Barcelona's groups is insanely tight, anyone could go through and there's going to be at least one big side knocked out.

Comment

So, crunch time for Liverpool tonight. They should beat the Hungarians even without Torres and Babel, but I fancy Fiorentina to beat Lyon which would make the result irrelevant.

I just can't see Lyon turning up, they've already qualified and I can't see them being that fussed about whether they're playing a group winner or runner up next round given that the way some of the groups are going the 'stronger' teams are jsut as likely to be second as first.

Comment

Is the first/second place seeding even in effect this season? Could have sworn I read a few weeks back that there is only country protection going to be in place for the next round.

Comment

Yes it is.

Last year Lyon came second, drew Barca in the knockout round and got a bit of a battering. Hopefully they'll want to avoid the same thing happening again and go for a positive result.

Fiorentina lost at home to Parma last time out too, so hopefully they aren't in the best of form.

Comment

Not good for Liverpool at half time. I get the impression Lyon and Fiorentina would quite happily end the game at 1-0. Neither team seemed to work very hard once the first goal went in.

Comment

Yep you need some seriously rose-tinted glasses to think we're going to make the next round. Europa Cup here we come. Sad, but true.

Comment

Incidentally, What's liverpools fans thoughts on if they go to the Europa? Put a youth team in it and concentrate on next year's qualification? Go for the win and play a first team squad in it?

Most rank lower than the Carling Cup for a team that never usually has to play in it.

Comment

True. Having to hope a team does you a "favour" is just pants. I don't expect to get through at all.

Europe league team? Nah, don't force players in, but defo start playing Aquilani if he's fit. Play to win I hope.

Comment

For a team as strong as Liverpool the Europa is very winnable. Shame you won't get to play Everton in it though, they've been tonked by just about everyone they've come up against so far

Comment

Working...
                                X