No announcement yet.

Champions League 2010/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The return game is mission impossible,'' he told the press after the game. ''Barcelona has qualified for the final. Sometimes I feel disgusted about this football world of ours. Yes, we have already been knocked out.

''We had the intention to keep the game at 0-0, then bring on a striker, then a third phase with a No. 10 behind three forwards. But the ref didnt allow it.''

Mourinho continued his post-match rant by targeting Barcelona's record of playing against ten-men in the competition, most notably their win over Chelsea in the semi-final in 2009.

''Congratulations to Barcelona,'' he added. ''But I just do not understand why Barcelona always receive the help of the referee. All my life I will be asking myself this question, and one day I hope to receive an answer.

''I am not too sad, I have a great family. But I don't understand why Barcelona have this power. It happened two years ago to Chelsea (in the 2009 semi-finals), almost to my Inter last year, and also to Arsenal this year.

''Why do the opponents of Barcelona always have a man sent off? Where does this power come from? Maybe it is to give more publicity to UNICEF, maybe because of the power of (Spanish federation president Jose Angel) Villar in UEFA.''
    You knew he was going to have a lot to say. However I think it's about time UEFA explained themselves. This is simply happening too often.

Comment

After all those comments... I can merely add that yes it was a complete disgrace. So much a disgrace that one uber Man U hating mate of mine actually wants the Reds to win in the final against Barca after that. That demonstrates just how bad it was...
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Mourinho shouldn't whine. It is he who kills football, with these terrible anti-footballing displays.

Barcelona wasn't really being helped, if anything Marcelo should've been sent off and Adebayor perhaps too. Pepe, I think it was a correct decision by the ref. About the diving, Di Maria was the worst, asking for cards, fouls and what not. Both teams have their share of divers, its Latin mentality.

Barcelona wasn't exactly helped in the first leg against Inter too, Benquerenca is known as friend of Jose. In the 2nd leg, I believe Pique scored from on-side position.

I'm usually a fan of Real, but a football fan shouldn't support what they showed yesterday. Same goes for Jose, yes he has nice records but he's not a coach for the beautiful game.

Comment

There were two teams out there contributing to that terrible display of football.

I've seen it time and time again with Barcelona in the Champions League. If you don't give them the space, if you close down on them, they can't play their "beautiful" football and then have little to offer other than their diving and theatrics. Until the ref inevitably lends them a hand. Barcelona look stunning when a team backs off and gives them space (although they'll still dive after every tackle) but they're a team completely lacking in strength. Even Messi's 'wonder' goal was caused by backing off. None of the defence commited to a challenge and he was able to skip around them because of it. They may as well have been traffic cones.

Barca, like Arsenal, shouldn't act like they've a god given right to play the game how they want it.

Comment

I dislike watching negative, defensive football, but it is a sport where teams are trying to win so it's a legitimate tactic and it isn't cheating. It's up to the teams who want to play the "right way" to overcome it.

While both teams were just about as bad as each other when it came to general diving and rolling around, the Barca players going down and clutching their face when there was zero contact is what got to me the most during the match. At least I didn't see any Madrid players do that (although my attention waned in the second half and my eyes where on my iPad as much as the telly so I may have missed it if they did).

I don't think there's any player I dislike more than Sergio Busquets, cheater in chief.

Comment

Sergio's a cock.

But thing is Barcelona doesn't need the diving thing. They have the best squad in the world, there is no doubt about it. They only CL knockout they lost over the last 3 years was in Milan, against Inter. It was a miracle and cost Inter every trick in the book to hold them at bay in Camp Nou.

They are actually very strong too, I think. Hardly any other team can lay down the amount of constant pressure they do, even a footballing side such as Arsenal couldn't pass around more than 3 times and hold more than 35% possession. Its risky, but these guys position play is so good because they are playing together since the 'Cantera' rather than being bought left and right over the last few summers.

About Messi, Real couldn't really stop him without committing a foul/risking a red. He's too agile, too quick in his movements.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                But thing is Barcelona doesn't need the diving thing.
                Which is what makes it all the more annoying when they resort to throwing themselves all over the place and having nine or ten players surrounding the ref after a foul, they should be better than that. A high speed Barca passing move ripping through the opposition as they chase shadows is an amazing thing to watch, the other side of their game, not such good viewing.

One note about the second leg against Inter last year. While Inter did indeed resort to a spectacular bus parking, maybe Barca wouldn't have been so dominant if Inter hadn't been reduced to ten men by Busquets' play acting.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                  Mourinho shouldn't whine. It is he who kills football, with these terrible anti-footballing displays.
                  Oh come on. Real were just like Holland and Barca like Spain. Sure you wouldn't have complained had you won the World Cup with the same aggressive, defensive tactics.

I turned off after 30 mins, it was a shambles of a game. Barca dived so much more than Real, who were still poor. It is an insult to football and I would imagine now that United or Schalke will recieve huge support in the final.

Comment

My loathing of Barca last night was almost enough for me to hope Man U win it.

Almost.

Comment

Mourinho's comments about what happened are slightly OTT, Hes basicaly been saying he doesnt want to go on living anymore. Hes also said that Barca have won the tie now.

Not exactly gonna spur his team on to play well in the second leg by talking like that.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 28-04-2011, 11:44.

Comment

Proof there was no contact. Watch that then remember the way he was rolling around on the floor afterwards.

Gah, I'm angry again.

Comment

Yes, I've seen it. But its visible when watching frame by frame. Not in real time. I have to say, its a very sophisticated action by Alves.

Still, Pepe didn't look like he went for the ball. Its a dangerous and card worthy charge regardless. So, I think Pepe should get a yellow for this. But on the other hand Alves should get one too. Its kind of bad karma for Pepe, his charge during the copa final was quite terrible and he didn't receive anything for it.

I doubt it would've change the outcome. I had the feeling Barca would net at least one eventually. A 0-0 is with Nou camp in sight not enough either.

Comment

Still haven't found anybody to tell me why Mourinho set Real Madrid out to play/foul for 0-0 IN THEIR OWN STADIUM, or why Higuain, Kaka and Benzema were left on the bench for the entire match...

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              Still haven't found anybody to tell me why Mourinho set Real Madrid out to play/foul for 0-0 IN THEIR OWN STADIUM, or why Higuain, Kaka and Benzema were left on the bench for the entire match...
                              According to quotes from Ronaldo their plan was to keep it to 0-0 and then bring Kaka on near the end and attack for the last ten mins or so. That's the classic swashbuckling Real Madrid way

Comment

Uefa has opened disciplinary cases against both Real Madrid and Barcelona following their ill-tempered Champions League semi-final first leg

UEFA it seems don't have a problem with the stuff which was shameful to most footballing fans then. Barca will continue to dive and cheat their way to another cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X