Bringing back standing areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Its a myth that standing causes more trouble in grounds, than sitting.
    Totally agree. The problems this country had in the past were because of the hooligan culture, which I think would have reared its ugly head even if we'd had all seater stadiums since the dawn of time. There's nothing inherently unsafe about standing areas (packing fans into an area like battery farmed chickens will make any area unsafe!).

It's so true that standing leads to a better atmosphere and more exciting feel at a game. If every ground was allowed to have one stand converted to German style safe standing, we'd improve the atmosphere at games overnight. They might even make a bit of noise at The Emirates

Comment

It's so true that standing leads to a better atmosphere and more exciting feel at a game. If every ground was allowed to have one stand converted to German style safe standing, we'd improve the atmosphere at games overnight. They might even make a bit of noise at The Emirates
      [/QUOTE]

Yes nothing beats standing and jumping and down, when a goal is scored, and for some unknown reason, ones sings and even claps better standing up than sitting down. I think all Stadium's should have a standing section (up to 10,000) It's better for the fans in terms of atmosphere and being cheaper

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
      Totally agree. The problems this country had in the past were because of the hooligan culture, which I think would have reared its ugly head even if we'd had all seater stadiums since the dawn of time. There's nothing inherently unsafe about standing areas
      Of course its a myth, in the 50 and 60's when fans were packed in like sheep, there was never ever trouble. We've seen trouble this year in the Premiership, in all setter stadiums.

(packing fans into an area like battery farmed chickens will make any area unsafe!).
      Spot on, That was the problem and fencing fans in, with no means of fast escape should anything go wrong.

Comment

Sports Minister Hugh Robertson says the government will listen to the case for bringing back terraces.

It'll probably end up with nothing being changed but at least it seems to be a step towards the authorities being a little more open to the idea, instead of rejecting it out of hand.

Comment

Premier league is saying they're against it.

The Premier League will oppose moves to reintroduce standing areas at top-flight football matches in England.

Comment

I'm totally against it, I'm more than happy with the 'atmosphere' at the Emirates and don't want to encourage hoards of £10 standing plebs back into the game.

I know it won't be popular but I'm all for keeping the undesirable element out and pricing them away seems the best method to do it by.

I hope they stick to their guns and keep the ban on standing areas, I don't think the British fan is responsible enough to be trusted with them

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
              I know it won't be popular but I'm all for keeping the undesirable element out and pricing them away seems the best method to do it by.
              Was there any 'undesirable' elements in our game during the 40's 50's - You know when tens of thousands stood ? Has then been any major trouble in Bundesliga this past couple of years ?

And unless I very much mistaken there's been issues with trouble in quite a lot of the Premiership games this year , and quite a few in the Champions league in the all seater stadiums. I'm all for small sections of standing area's being brought back in (like they are in the Championship ect) , for those that want to stand (jumping up when a Goal is scored is completely natural to me) and it will help those that can't afford the current price to at least have a chance of watching a game and bring their kids (16 and over)

Comment

As a kid I hated standing when I went to matches during the '70s. At places like West Ham and Crystal Palace I missed every goal and other incidents of interest due to everybody being taller than me. I spent most of the matches on my toes straining to see anything. Put me off going to live football matches for life.

The few times I went to White Hart Lane we were in the seats and I saw much more of the matches and enjoyed it more in consequence. But it was when I went to England games at the old Wembley Stadium where, I think, it was all seating even back then, the difference was fantastic. It was such a pleasure to be able to see everything all of the time and a far better experience all round.

If you're amongst people of a similar height or stands were tiered specifically for good standing views maybe their reintroduction would be OK. But whatever you're paying to see a match I'd be real annoyed if my view was blocked just because there happened to be a group of tall guys standing in front of me. I'm not short either so I'd imagine your average five foot six females, teenagers and kids would hate it even more.

Comment

As a kid I hated standing when I went to matches during the '70s. At places like West Ham and Crystal Palace I missed every goal and other incidents of interest due to everybody being taller than me. I spent most of the matches on my toes straining to see anything. Put me off going to live football matches for life.
                  That's a fair point and as someone that's only 5ft 5 I know the pain. But even know I still miss the odd goal, even in all seater stadium (as people love to stand up the moment a Team looks like scoring ), and in away matches fans, will always stand and tend to sit where they like (in the away section)

The difference is no-one is asking for for all standing stadiums to be brought back, only a small section of stands to be given up for standing , that is a world of difference to how it used to be

At the old Cardiff Ninan park we had a brilliant balance of the ground being all seater for the majority of the ground and a small section in front of the Bob bank for the Bob bank terrace (for a few thousand) . Meaning those of us that wanted to had the option too (Plus it was also cheaper to the tune of over £100 a year for the season ticket, or £9 on the match day. That to many is a massive saving)

You sing in Church you're asked to stand, you sing Karaoke you'll more often that not, be standing, most of the LIVE acts I see all stand tend to sing standing up (even solo Artists) So its seems we sing better standing up than sitting down and I know of no-one that doesn't stand up when celebrating a goal , no one.

When one hears Celtic or Liverpool just belt out the famous tune , they're nearly always standing , you just cant beat singing standing up, you just can't
                  Last edited by Team Andromeda; 26-03-2011, 18:54.

Comment

I'm a short-arse, between 5'6" - 5'7".
                    Can't say I've ever had much problem with views when standing.

If someone is that much taller than you, that the rake of the stand still means you can't see over them, I'd imagine they'd block your view when seated too?

Comment

I think football should have 2,500 standing area space in top level football so this way it won't be too difficult to control, rather than say 15 thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                        I'm a short-arse, between 5'6" - 5'7".
                        Can't say I've ever had much problem with views when standing.

If someone is that much taller than you, that the rake of the stand still means you can't see over them, I'd imagine they'd block your view when seated too?
                        Another colossus here at 5'5" - 5'6" ish and I haven't really had my view blocked very much, I think once when standing and a few times when seated. Like you say, if you've got a Peter Crouch in front of you, standing or sitting isn't gonna make too much difference.

Most grounds at the moment have unofficial standing areas anyway so there wouldn't be that much difference if they were made into official standing areas. You also wouldn't get people buying tickets for those areas without realising that everyone usually stands in them.

Comment

I do think there is a romanticised notion of standing areas, comparing post war Britain fan behaviour when they used to put a jacket and tie on to go to the game or singing in church isn't really comparable to giving a group of peed up angry footy fans somewhere to shout jump and surge.

We live in an angry society, I'd say possibly the most so in Europe, culturally we have a huge problem with drink, any move back to large scale standing and getting more people into the grounds is to my my mind madness, small area for a couple of thousand, fine, 20,000 at one end, shouldn't be considered for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post

We live in an angry society, I'd say possibly the most so in Europe, culturally we have a huge problem with drink, any move back to large scale standing and getting more people into the grounds is to my my mind madness, small area for a couple of thousand, fine, 20,000 at one end, shouldn't be considered for a second.
                            Do you drink ?, do you go on Holidays aboard ? We Brits may have a unfair and terrible rep for our behaver abroad, that doesn't meant we should 'all' be banned from having a holiday in the Sun

I do think there is a romanticised notion of standing areas, comparing post war Britain fan behaviour when they used to put a jacket and tie on to go to the game or singing in church isn't really comparable to .
                            No there's quite a few grounds in the lower leagues with standing Area's, and no trouble (or not much) . There's been fighting/trouble in West Ham, Man Utd, Bingham, Roma and quite a few other grounds that are all seater stadiums this or last year

giving a group of peed up angry footy fans somewhere to shout jump and surge
                            LOL. Not everyone that drinks gets nasty for starters , and plenty of people get angry with out any drink , Through a bad call by the Ref (just read some of the posts here) And you really remained seated at all times for the complete 90's mins, even when Arsenal score a Goal ? , never shout out - at a bad piece of play or a bad tackle ECT

culturally we have a huge problem with drink
                            Oh loads of places have trouble with drink, it isn't just the Brits . The only issues we have, is our Police not allowed to rough up and given those idiots a night in Jail the Cell. You hardly seen any trouble in the likes of Spain or Portugal, because one knows the police will not take any messing , and that's what we need hear

Shall we ban all Alcohol- because some abuse it, ban all cars , because some people get so nasty behind the wheel (and I hope they're not drinking) . Video games have a poor reb and some love to blame Video games for all the evils in the world .

They'll always be idiots , that will spoil it ,for the vast majority in any walk of Life

QUOTE]20,000 at one end, shouldn't be considered for a second.
                            [/QUOTE]

That isn't what it being asked for. I think most of asking for what happens in current grounds in the lower leagues or in the Bundesliga - where it's been a complete success and those Germans have their own issues with trouble at grounds and by GOD, do they know how to drink

Comment

you often argue around the issue whilst ignoring the centre of it.

so you would, without reservation, support the idea of premier and upper echelon championship teams, with their larger support (mostly) re-introducing large standing areas of say 10,000 plus ?

you don't think there are any possible negatives in such a scheme ?

Comment

so you would, without reservation, support the idea of premier and upper echelon championship teams, with their larger support (mostly) re-introducing large standing areas of say 10,000 plus
                                I like to see section of up to 4 to 6,000 in the front of say 2 Main stands ( 3 tops) . Not 10,000 fans crammed all into 1 spot/section no.

you often argue around the issue whilst ignoring the centre of it.
                                Like you ? Looking over how there's quite a lot of grounds already that have standing area's in the lower leagues, or how there's standing in Bundesliga (and we all know Germany has had it's own issues with Crowd trouble) with not any major trouble:Yet in Premiership League (both English and Scottish) and Champion League games in their own seater stadium there's been issues with crow trouble this and last year ?

Now if you don't drink, don't holiday aboard in the Sun, always remained seated, never get in any way shape or form nasty or upset at a bad call at the Grounds.... Then fair enough... I guess you can put us all into one group (of the nasty Brits) If not, there's a bit of hypocrisy coming into play

Comment

Working...
                                X