No announcement yet.

Champions League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only saw it from about the 65th minute or so, at first I thought Chelsea were down to nine men. Negative didn't come into it, Droggy up there all on his lonesome.

I take the point about Chelsea's game-plan (and I really wanted them to win) but crikey it's a final and I just thought it was a dangerous tactic to play particularly if/when BM score.

Best thing for the game was when they (BM) did as Chelsea had to actually commit more than Drogba up front.

In the end glad they won but would liked them to have been a bit more positive.

Comment

At the end of the day, teams need to develop game plans to deal with negative approaches to football. Bayern knew what they were up against, and Chelsea's approach to the game surprised no-one. Like it or not, negative football is still a perfectly valid approach to the game, as unattractive as it is. When it seems to be bringing the results, it should be no surprise when a team like Chelsea adopts it.

Sometimes, the better team doesn't win. Sometimes, a better team can be foxed by a gameplan that they struggle to deal with, or the more deserving team loses out to the luck of the other. Such is football.

Comment

True but Chelsea almost got bitten on the arse, problem when doing that is the game plan has to turn about-face when the opposition score or even it can be a case of 'crap, what do we do now', just thought Chelsea were too deep, nothing wrong with trying to counter but if they had tried to be more positive from the beginning who knows they might have bagged one or two and won in normal time.

Liked this;

Comment

The game reminded me of Liverpool this past season. Creating lots of chances, but not being able to put it in the net.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
            Yeah i blame them all for not going with an 8 man defense. 8 defenders makes not a shoddy defense.

I just cannot show any support or enthiusiasm to that kind of standard of play in a champions league final, from a team who have spent like crazy over the last 8 years.

It reminded me of the feeling i used to get in the days of tennis where people would win purely by serving big, its something nobody really wanted to see.

The biggest annoyance is we have to watch them in the competition next year, because they will run with the stoke style now in all probability.
            You have a point about crazy spending. I agree top rated players shouldn't play like pussies. I am a fan of Real Madrid, and I hate Mourinho for going into clasico's with a negative game plan. The games Real played with more offense (such as the last game, and the Supercopa), they are actually stronger than Barcelona.

But Chelsea didn't spent that much over the last few seasons? Torres was a standout, but all he does is sucking. The players on the pitch were all rather old, and past their prime. Guys like Drogba who was or is on the brink to go to China.

Real Madrid probably spent more over the last few seasons. Barcelona and Bayern too perhaps. They signed the present day top players. Chelsea still relies on those of yesterday. I think Chelsea is a rather stable club nowadays, not spending crazy money left and right anymore. The focus and hate should be on City now.

Chelsea played great against Napoli. But Barcelona and Bayern Munich were simply too good to combat with attacking football. Abramovic money or not, Chelsea's squad is nowhere near as good as what Bayern and Barcelona can call up. Bayern and Barcelona both field half the squads of Germany and Spain, the 2 best in the world. Its just an impressive feat.

I doubt this style would win them the PL. You can win the CL with draws, but you can't win a league season that way.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
              The focus and hate should be on City now.
              Correct, they are the footballing equivalent of the Judean People's Front, or is it the People's Front of Judea, or perhaps the Popular People's Front.

One of 'em anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                I doubt this style would win them the PL. You can win the CL with draws, but you can't win a league season that way.
                Not entierly true.

When Arsenal won the premier league they drew a third of their games.

I agree with what you said about the Chelsea squad though, they did the best with what they had, and won with good tactics, I think its hilairious that people are moaning about the fact that a team from our own country won the champions league..... Only in England would you get that.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                  Not entierly true.

When Arsenal won the premier league they drew a third of their games.
                  Yeah, but they didn't lose any.

Comment

Yeah, I was just saying it was possible thats all.

Comment

Not these days, the prem league has become for more competitive since arsenal won the league years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                        Not these days, the prem league has become for more competitive since arsenal won the league years ago.
                        Arsenal last won the league with 90 points, that would have won the league most seasons, including the one that has just ended.

It is probabaly harder for the bigger teams to win as many games now. But what I was saying was that Arsenal did win the league by drawing a large portion of their games, so there is no reason someone else couldn't do it either.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          It is probabaly harder for the bigger teams to win as many games now. But what I was saying was that Arsenal did win the league by drawing a large portion of their games, so there is no reason someone else couldn't do it either.
                          Well yeah, it would be possible to win the league by drawing 38 matches if everyone else draws 38 matches as well, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

What Arsenal did has happened, what, twice? In the whole history of top flight football. Sure, it could happen again, but how likely is it, really?

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                            Well yeah, it would be possible to win the league by drawing 38 matches if everyone else draws 38 matches as well, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

What Arsenal did has happened, what, twice? In the whole history of top flight football. Sure, it could happen again, but how likely is it, really?
                            Again, I was simply saying its possible, didn't say I thought it would happen. I don't actually believe Chelsea will win the league next year.

But I also know that anything can happen in football.

Comment

It's possible that a mental prince from Dubai will buy the Premier League for ?500bn and award the trophy to Crawley Town.

Things that are "possible" aren't really relevant.

You're also overlooking the fact that the Arsenal team that won the league with a lot of draws weren't **** like this Chelsea team is.

Comment

How is this Chelsea team ****?

Comment

Working...
                                X