No announcement yet.

Champions League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a time in the distant past where if you had tried to explain to me the level and quality of football Barca were playing last night i wouldn't of believed you and i would of said that sort of quality football is only possible in a football videogame. If they continue to play like that in the CL they will win it and i hope they do to.

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
    Barca's dominance is getting boring.
    Believe me you will miss it after a while when it's gone in a similar way to how us Tennis fans will miss Federer & Nadal when they are gone.
    Last edited by Sam The Man; 13-03-2013, 16:15.

Comment

I didn't see the match yesterday, but I don't think I would miss Barca.... They don't play exciting football... its all tippy tappy pass, pass, walk it in the net (in messi's case that's often literal). Just because they win all the time does not make them entertaining to watch.

I know lots of people get orgasmic when they see a team keep the ball for 150 passes, but I prefer direct attacking football personally. Real Madrid are more exciting to watch because of the way they go forward.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 13-03-2013, 17:33.

Comment

I would rather watch Swansea but I certainly appreciate how amazing Barcelona are.

Comment

Barca had a lot of shots from outside the box yesterday. In fact, weren't both of Messi's goals being made from there? They attacked a lot via the flanks, with Alba they have another winger in disguise. He was ridiculously good yesterday. The same went for Busquets who was dominating his game. Well, Iniesta was stupidly good as well.

Barca from yesterday was not boring at all. I also didn't spot any diving antics (Milans Mexes was playing dirty though). Their plan was all about going forward and launching shots on Abbiati as soon as the kick off started.

They probably go down as the best side in the history of the game. As Sam said, this was usually only possible in video games. I don't hope they win though, I think its good for football if Bayern Munich wins it. They are a well organized club who make careful transfer decisions, lot of own youth and a high work rate. It would also confirm the Bundesliga as the strongest league in the world which I think it is right now.
          Last edited by saturn-gamer; 13-03-2013, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
            I think its good for football if Bayern Munich wins it. They are a well organized club who make careful transfer decisions, lot of own youth and a high work rate. It would also confirm the Bundesliga as the strongest league in the world which I think it is right now.
            Sorry, but I've never understood the logic behind people saying "It's good for football if team x or team y win/don't win". Why is it good for football if certain teams win where others don't?

Bayern will ultimately have to earn the right to win the Champions' League on the pitch - same as everybody else in the competition. Club organization off-the-pitch simply doesn't come into it, and I say that as somebody who has long admired the way Bayern conduct their business as a club - easily the world's best-run elite football club imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              I say that as somebody who has long admired the way Bayern conduct their business as a club - easily the world's best-run elite football club imo.
              Bayern (and other German clubs) manage to do very well financially without ripping off their fans either. Big stadiums packed full of fans, but they keep the tickets cheap (relative to English prices at least) and maximise their commercial deals to rake in the cash.

Case in point, Dortmund had an average attendance of over 80K last season and made €31 million in match day revenue. Spurs had an average attendance of 36K and made just under €51 million in match day revenue. Just found out the prices are going up again next season too, despite the massive increase in the PL television money.

Comment

Oh FFS Bayern, are you trying to give me a heart attack?

Comment

I sometimes go to Bremen or Hamburg, which is only a 2 hour drive or so. Its great atmosphere. Dortmund are the workers team, they have the most dedicated fans in Germany. It was even packed when they were close to relegation.

I did not expect Arsenal to be in the lead here, lol.

Comment

Bayern definitely won't win the CL playing like this against Madrid or Barca. Sloppy performance.

Comment

Oh bloody hell.

Comment

2-0!! Grandstand finish!!

Comment

Would've served Bayern right had they been knocked out tonight. Pretty mediocre.

Comment

Phew. Now I can stop worrying about Spurs finishing 4th and Arsenal finishing lower and winning the Champions League, and just get back to worrying about us chucking away our lead over them again

Bayern do seem to have a problem at home against teams who are rivals with Spurs though!

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                              I didn't see the match yesterday, but I don't think I would miss Barca.... They don't play exciting football... its all tippy tappy pass, pass, walk it in the net
                              Certainly not, if it was then they wouldn't of won as much as they have because you have to be able to close your opponents down, counter quickly, go wide, go narrow, shoot, cross, all of which this Barca team are capable off and do throughout the season. In fact i think but not certain that both of Messi's goals were outside the box or on the edge of it and cant remember them scoring a walk it in the net goal or tap in against Milan.

Just because they win all the time does not make them entertaining to watch.
                              Just because they win all the time does not make them boring to watch. I find them entertaining win, loose or draw.

I know lots of people get orgasmic when they see a team keep the ball for 150 passes, but I prefer direct attacking football personally. Real Madrid are more exciting to watch because of the way they go forward.
                              Fair enough if you prefer watching Madrid who are also good to watch. But i think it's fair to say we have figured out with the last quote that what is entertaining and beautiful and whats boring is very subjective.

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              I would rather watch Swansea but I certainly appreciate how amazing Barcelona are.
                              Mart I would rather watch Barcelona but I certainly appreciate how good Swansea are at the moment.

On another note it's a shame Arsenal couldn't emulate the Barca comeback but they gave it a good try and came very close. If only they hadn't conceded a late 3rd goal in the first leg

Comment

The Champions League quarter-final draw in full:

Malaga v Borussia Dortmund

Real Madrid v Galatasaray

Paris Saint Germain v Barcelona

Bayern Munich v Juventus

First legs to be played on 2 or 3 April and second legs to be played on 9 or 10 April.

Comment

Working...
                                X