No announcement yet.

Euro 2012 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany, when on the ball, would be under this pressure as well. Spain is playing without strikers, without wingers.. when they lose the ball over the wing their offensive players press, when thru the mid they let it go for their midfield to catch the ball back.

Makes me think why we always have that desire to play with true wingers and true strikers, everyone commited to their job without much variety thrown in.

Also, our commentator rightfully said Spain hasn't conceded a single fricking goal in any elimination stage since 2008.
    Last edited by saturn-gamer; 01-07-2012, 22:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
      And yet you texted me a few mins ago saying the injury ruined the entire game!
      It did ruin the entire game. I never said it wasn't great until then but the whole match was voided by the loss of the player. As a spectacle it was completely and utterly ruined by this player going off.
      Last edited by nakamura; 01-07-2012, 23:03.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
        It did ruin the entire game. I never said it wasn't great until then but the whole match was voided by the loss of the player. As a spectacle it was completely and utterly ruined by this sending off.
        Sorry Mart your wrong on that. You cant say the match was voided (not valid) when even with Motta on the pitch Italy never really looked like winning the match and Spain were in control and even after Italy were down to 10 it was still enjoyable to watch even if it was mostly Spain. The final 2 goals were exciting to see.

Comment

As a spectacle, it was ruined. It was no ones fault mind, just very unlucky but it was game over the second Motta went off. Watching those first 60 mins was a complete waste of time after that as there was no way back for Italy.

Yes Spain were better but Italy were also dangerous and very often in football the best team does not win.

Comment

Teams that have gone down to 10 men have come back into games before on every level. It wasnt game over because they were down to 10 men but sure it didnt help. It was over because of how well Spain played in both halves on and off the ball. Italy having Motta on wouldn't of changed any of that. I think it's fair to say that at the end of the day the best team did win and it was an entertaining Final.

Comment

Game was over. Italy didn't muster a single attack when down to ten. Very unlucky and it ruined the final. Best team won for sure, never doubting that but Italy very unfortunate to be denied a real chance to get back into the game.

Comment

To me the winners of this tourney were already decided before it even started. Spain is in a league of their own, they won it almost effortless this time. Its impossible to hold the ball against them as they don't give away any space, and even a physically strong team like Italy were simply burnt out after 45 mins. As long as no one matches their football, they will win and win... and win. Why wouldn't they win 2014 also? If they can keep this core and keep on delivering the likes of Jordi Alba who fit right in, its just a matter of keeping motivation to win prizes. They can beat the best nations at half pace.

But as far as the final goes, I saw the departure of Motta as a final nail in the coffin. The game was already over, Spain was being 2-0 up and far superior on the ball. But the onfortunate injury of Motta just sealed the deal earlier and didn't really ruin the game, it just ended it outright. Italy with 11 guys might've lost with 2-0 perhaps.

Comment

I wonder if people were even watching the same game. It was far from over at 2-0. Spain were certainly fantastic and deservedly in front but Italy had chances and there is no telling if they would have created more or not, I felt they would have. That miss by Di Natale showed that Spain are still possible to cut through no matter how good they are. Casillas also had to make several stops from range and cut out some very dangerous crosses.

Going down to ten simply took the wind out of their sails and after that they barely had another attack. They knew it would be hard with eleven but more than possible but down to ten their heads dropped and they new it was in impossible task.

Comment

Agreed. I still think Spain would have won, but as I said during the match, all it would have taken was one of those Di Natale chances to go in and suddenly the game looks very different. With eleven men on the pitch Italy would have had a decent chance of fashioning at least a couple more opportunities.

Understandably, once they went down to ten men, their focus shifted to making sure Spain didn't run up a cricket score (which they did remarkably well at, until Spain finally broke through in the last few minutes). Even by the end of the match, playing for half an hour with ten men, the Italians only had two or three (I think) less shots than Spain.

Comment

Spain had two more on target overall and I think 2 more shots overall looking at the sky stats. I also still think Spain would have won the game but it certainly killed the final as a spectacle.

Comment

It's okay. I'll just curl up in a corner and rock gently until the Olympics starts so I can watch some more football.

Does anybody know if all the games will be televised?

Comment

The only positive to there not being any footy on telly is that it reduces my urge to buy beer to drink at home.

Comment

Italy never really looked like winning the game with 11 men. Sure they looked a bit more dangerous but i never felt or thought with 11 men that they were going to equalize or win the game. When down to 10 it got much harder for them but still possible to be a threat. The last 30 mins was still entertaining as we saw some good attacks from Spain and 2 nice goals.

Didn't Chelsea go down to 10 men against Barca in the semis late on and not concede? And when they had 11 men didnt they score 2 goals against Barca?

Basically what im trying to say is Italy lost the game in the first 60 mins not the last half hour.

Comment

Our Euro 2012 performance has seen England rise to 4th in the FIFA world rankings! Only Spain, Germany and Uruguay are better than us; everyone else can bow down to our mighty footballing powers

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
                                Our Euro 2012 performance has seen England rise to 4th in the FIFA world rankings! Only Spain, Germany and Uruguay are better than us; everyone else can bow down to our mighty footballing powers
                                That proves what a nonsensical rating system it is. We're not even the 4th best team in Europe!!

Comment

Working...
                                X