The Football League Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
    Unbelievable scenes at the end of the Watford - Leicester playoff game!
    One of the most incredible finishes i think i've ever seen at a watford game. have sorted my ticket for the final - can't wait.

Comment

Just got back from watching the boro get a whuppin off Accrington Stanley (who are they?!) Accrington had James Beattie as manager who as also dressed like a best man at a wedding. And for the fammy dodds amongst you they also had a certain Nicky Hunt. In this showing if boro run with this team all season they will be relegated. Very lightweight tippy tappy fitbaw and they have a soft under belly.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        Accrington Stanley (who are they?!)
        Exactly!

Comment

Anybody taken notice of the work Dyche is doing at Burnley?

I followed him at Watford, where he performed better than any manager for a while. He had a smaller budget than Mackay and managed to do better. Only lost his job because new owners wanted their own man in Zola.

Now at Burnley the ginger Mourinho is doing very good work with the squad and as far as I'm aware they sold their best player in the summer.

Comment

I'd feel robbed tonight if I was a Watford supporter. Another case for more goal line technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrock View Post
              Anybody taken notice of the work Dyche is doing at Burnley?

I followed him at Watford, where he performed better than any manager for a while. He had a smaller budget than Mackay and managed to do better. Only lost his job because new owners wanted their own man in Zola.

Now at Burnley the ginger Mourinho is doing very good work with the squad and as far as I'm aware they sold their best player in the summer.
              Yeah he is doing a great job there and it was a shame that he had to leave Watford when he did. Not sure that they will keep the momentum up throughout x-mas / new year but would love to see them go up

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
              I'd feel robbed tonight if I was a Watford supporter. Another case for more goal line technology.
              Frustrating! but thought a draw was probably fair overall. We had the disallowed goal and hit the post but Brighton created a number of good chances as well so not a bad result overall

Comment

Zola has just resigned as manager of Watford. Feel really gutted about it - we were on an awful run (we have not won in 9 games including losing our last 5 home games) but would have liked to see him given an opportunity to sign a striker in January and turn things around. During the last year and a half we have played some of the most entertaining football I've seen in the 24 years I've been going to games even if the results have not matched the quality. Sad day for the club.

Comment

Wow. Who would of predicted that? Wednesday 6-0 thrashing of Leeds scum.

Comment

We all hate Leeds scum !

Comment

Decent point yesterday away at Burnley. Not having a full time manager seems to be working out quite well for us.

Comment

Why is there such a void of decent football in the Westcountry?!

Bristol Rovers relegated to the Conference for the first time since 1920, Bristol City slipping down the ladder never in danger of inspiring, Yeovil town relegated back to League One, Torquay also relegated to the Conference, Plymouth Argyle and Exeter constantly in danger of relegation. I think Bath City are in the Conference South now?

It's bizarre. It's not like Wales where there are more popular sports, football is by far the most popular sport despite the relative strength of the local rugby and cricket teams. The two Bristol teams are like a religion depending on which side of the city you're in. Yet despite that, it's so unrepresented.

The more sensible Bristol City fans lament the relegation of Rovers and what it means for the region in sporting terms.

Comment

Originally posted by sj33 View Post
                          Why is there such a void of decent football in the Westcountry?!

Bristol Rovers relegated to the Conference for the first time since 1920, Bristol City slipping down the ladder never in danger of inspiring, Yeovil town relegated back to League One, Torquay also relegated to the Conference, Plymouth Argyle and Exeter constantly in danger of relegation. I think Bath City are in the Conference South now?

It's bizarre. It's not like Wales where there are more popular sports, football is by far the most popular sport despite the relative strength of the local rugby and cricket teams. The two Bristol teams are like a religion depending on which side of the city you're in. Yet despite that, it's so unrepresented.

The more sensible Bristol City fans lament the relegation of Rovers and what it means for the region in sporting terms.
                          It is strange as from what I can see, Bristol is the 10th largest city in England so it is definitely under-represented in terms of the achievements of it's football teams. According to Football365, City had the 4th-highest average attendance in League 1 (11929) and Rovers had the 3rd-highest in League 2 (6421) so presumably there are large numbers of additional people that would turn up if they were playing in higher divisions. Strange how no-one has come in to invest money in either of these clubs given the potentially large fan-base that exists.

Comment

People in east Bristol would support Rovers if even if they dropped to the bottom of the pyramid and had to play in somebody's back yard - support is that strong. And west/centre Bristol would support City similarly. Support is definitely not an issue.

The problems of Bristol Rovers have gone on for decades. They famously used to play at the Eastville ground (which was also a dog running track) before being turfed out. It was right next to the gas works and smelt of gas, hence their nickname. They had to move to Twerton Park - Bath City's ground, in a completely different city! Shades of Coventry City there, and had to play there for about a decade before they managed to get Bristol rugby club to ground share. That's how much the club has lacked investment for the past couple of decades.

City aren't doing much better. Despite actually having their own ground of a decent capacity, there's a completely lack of inspiration, direction and sensible leadership. The club lacks any kind of identity, something that even Rovers can boast.

Comment

Just watched the playoff final, what heartbreak for Derby, but you could almost see it coming with Derby dominating then ten men of QPR but not being able to make the breakthrough. I wanted Derby to come up, but on the plus side, I've got a bet on QPR and Atletico to both win today so I'm halfway to ?150!

Hoping that Leyton Orient come up in the League One playoff tomorrow. My Mum was from Leytonstone and supported them so I usually keep an eye out for their results.

Comment

Be interesting to see how Lennon gets on at Bolton.

Bolton Wanderers, who are bottom of the Championship, appoint former Celtic boss Neil Lennon as their new manager.

Can't believe they are ?164M in debt.

Bolton Wanderers announce they are £163.8m in debt after making a loss of £50m in the year ending June 2013.

"A ?50m loss over the course of the year is massive, especially when you consider their turnover is something like ?28m. "

Comment

Working...
                                X