No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Kane play again for the rest of the season, but the article on the Spurs web site about the injuries did say that Alli was being "assessed for the Huddersfield game," so there must be at least a chance he could make it. I'd guess that as it's only a hand injury, he might be able to play if it's well protected by a cast and it doesn't cause him any pain when running. It wouldn't shock me if he was in the team tomorrow.

But yeah, we should be able to beat Huddersfield regardless, and even without injuries it's the type of match where you can imagine some players who haven't played much might come in to give others a rest before the Man City second leg. Maybe Wanyama gets a start in midfield, possibly an appearance for KWP to give one of the full backs a rest, etc.. You can't ever take anything for granted, but it'd be quite the shock and a real disappointment if we didn't beat them.

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
    You're a star! Just saw this, logged on, and managed to get two tickets together for Huddersfield - South Stand, Block 251. A little bit further back than I was on Tuesday...so a good test of atmosphere for a 'normal' match. You wait a long time for a ticket....and two opportunities come along at once!
    Excellent stuff, glad to be of help! Even though it's quite tough to get tickets when they go on sale to members, the fact that we now have 42,000 season ticket holders means there should be a reasonable chance on the ticket exchange after the main sale has finished. There's always likely to be a smattering of random season ticket holders each match who can't make it for one reason or another.

Comment

That's the way to do it! 4:0 and a hat-trick for Lucas Moura; I said earlier this week he was one of those other players with goals in him and he stepped up to the plate and delivered. I was listening to it on the BBC and at the end of the first half I thought Spurs would settle for 2-0 as they were so dominant in possession (70+%).

Good stuff. Now we need Liverpool to do what I also said I hoped they would to Chelsea and in form Watford give Arsenal a nasty surprise too. Our Premiership match against MC will then be less critical but I'm certainly not ruling Spurs out of winning that either but IMHO a tough draw is the more likely result both in that match and the CL.

Comment

Yup, a nice, straightforward win today. Probably the perfect match to have before we play Man City as we didn’t have to get out of second gear and still could have scored more than we did. Huddersfield did have one great chance to score with about 15 mins left, and then forced a save from Lloris from a free kick, but that was about it.

Wanyama’s opening goal was lovely, he jinked around the defender and goalkeeper superbly before slotting it in. Nice bit of history for Moura to become the first hat trick scorer at the new stadium, all three were good finishes but I think the third was the best one.

Lovely scene a couple of minutes after the final whistle when Lucas brought his little baby onto the pitch for a kick about. The baby could only manage to make the ball move about an inch whenever they kicked it, but they received a big cheer each time they did

Llorente was very unlucky not to get on the score sheet, especially his chance in the second half that hit the bar. Eriksen hit a shot against the post too. We played a number of slick passing moves that just lacked the killer final ball or finish. Foyth and KWP both did well, with KWP playing a vital part in the move for... the third goal, iirc.

Always nice to get an early weekend win, means you can relax for the rest of it. Now to cheer on West Ham, Liverpool and Watford!

Comment

Well, that was about perfect given the situation - about half the team from Tuesday either rested or (ahem) injured, a couple of earlyish goals to settle the nerves and some very good performances. Moura, Sissoko, Wanyama, KWP and Vertonghen all played really well.

When Lucas was playing footie with his baby at the end, and the crowd were doing the oles every pass...ah, that was lovely.

Looking forward to seeing the highlights on MOTD later - we scored some decent goals today. Now on to Wednesday and..can we do it? Like the idea of Moura/Son up front, although if Dele is also missing I'd also be tempted to include Llorente - his ability to win the ball and hold onto it shouldn't be underestimated, he did a good job when he came on in Tuesday and the same today.
          Last edited by TonyDA; 13-04-2019, 18:52. Reason: Jinxed the West Ham/ Man U result....

Comment

Llorente has great ball winning and hold up skills, if only he put away more of the good goal scoring chances he gets I'd be happy to have him as regular part of an attacking triangle formation with Son and Moura.

That one yesterday where he bought a difficult ball under control in the penalty area superbly and then immediately flicked it over the goalie. Fantastic skill but it just had a smidgen too much power which pushed it a few inches over the bar. It would have been a brilliant goal. His glancing header too, just a little more contact and it would have spun into the net.

West Ham some bad luck with refereeing decisions against MU and the latter were very lucky to get three points from the game which, if they had not, would also have been a very welcome result for Spurs.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 14-04-2019, 12:21.

Comment

I think a three up front of Llorente, Moura and Son could work very well against Man City. With MC being behind and having to score, you'd expect that they're going to have a real go at us and we're likely to be under the kosh a lot; if we're having to make some "anywhere will do" clearances at the back then having Llorente up front gives you a chance of not having the ball come straight back for another MC attack. Then you have the pace and skill of Son and Moura which are ideal for counter attacks. Gonna be interesting to see what Poch goes with.

I hope the problem that kept Winks out of the Huddersfield match is a small one and he can be back for the MC match. Not only because I think he's an excellent player, but he seems to do especially well in the really big matches. Although, away from home and defending a lead, a very physical midfield of Wanyama and Sissoko might not be the worst thing in the world (though I wonder if Wanyama can play two matches back to back, Huddersfield was his first full 90 mins for a long time).

Comment

I have this vision of the ball being hoofed up to Llorente, who wins it, holds it up (in a way that Moura/Son won't be able to do) and passes to Eriksen - he has Moura and Son sprinting past him, finds one of them through on goal....you can guess the rest.

Comment

Holy f**k Woooooooohooooooo!!

Comment

What a game! Champo League delivers another corker.

Comment

That was ****ing mental!
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Much as I love my team being involved in such a classic, I’d prefer a straightforward 2-0 in the next round....

Was convinced VAR would disallow Llorente’s goal, was slumped on the floor when Sterling scored the winner, and watched the VAR replay convinced we’d go out to an offside goal that was incorrectly allowed.

Spurs having a Spursy moment overturned? Magic!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
                          Was convinced VAR would disallow Llorente’s goal, was slumped on the floor when Sterling scored the winner, and watched the VAR replay convinced we’d go out to an offside goal that was incorrectly allowed.

Spurs having a Spursy moment overturned? Magic!
                          That's why, despite the occasional hiccup and sometimes having to wait to have a goal confirmed, I think VAR is a good thing. Even with VAR stuff that's a matter of opinion (was a foul reckless, was a handball intentional, etc) stays as a matter of opinion, but it should cut out the "matter of fact" errors like was someone on or offside, did a ball go out of play or not, and so on. No worse feeling for me than losing because of a goal that, matter of fact, should not have counted.

Without VAR we're going home feeling sick that we've gone out to a goal that should never have stood, with it they're able to see the Aguero was clearly offside and correctly rule out the goal, and we get to be a tad happier

I think the Llorente goal decision was correct too. If it did touch his hand it was the faintest of brushes, and his arm was tucked in against his body so he wasn't gaining an advantage by making himself bigger, it would have been incredibly harsh to say it was a deliberate handball. And that's IF it hit his hand, and from those replays I don't think you could be 100% nailed on sure that it did. Plus it's clearly his hip that actually diverts the ball into the net.

Anyway, none of that matters now, all that matters is we're in the bloody semi-finals!!

Great to be playing Ajax in the semi-final as well, it's always nice to see us facing a great historical club that we rarely get to play, plus we have... four ex-Ajax players in our ranks so it'll be a big match for those guys. Gonna be really tough, Ajax have been playing some incredible football and you don't beat Real Madrid and Juve in their own back yards by accident. Still, two games away from the CL final
                          Last edited by EJG1980; 18-04-2019, 09:01.

Comment

Brilliant result and it sounded an incredible game. I missed the first goal and I was expecting them to score again when I realised MC were ahead already inside the first 5 mins and, seemingly at best, we'd be looking for that away goal and try to hold onto the 2-1 whilst not conceding again.

Worked out a bit differently to that. Bonkers but that's Spurs for you. When they're at their best they can beat anyone even if they have to do it the hard way.

Still we have to put this into perspective - it is 'only' the semi-final of the CL we've reached and Ajax are going to require even more hard work and a bit of luck (which would be nice) too. If Spurs get through that then whatever the final brings I'll be happy enough we just got there.

Comment

BT Sports highlights for you fallenangle, in case you haven't seen them (plus post match celebrations).

I'm hoping the fact that Moussa Sissoko came out and took part in the celebrations means his injury isn't too bad, keeping everything crossed.

Apparently Sissoko didn't realise we'd gone through because when the Man City "goal" went in he was so distraught that he instantly left the bench and went back to the dressing room by himself. He was in there for a couple of minutes until a coach burst in and told him to get outside because we were in the semi-final

Comment

Well done guys. Can you please beat them in the league this weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X