No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little to add but my agreement to those analyses of the matches and England's performance last night.

There's the possibility he's pacing the team after a long season when in a tournament like this to keep the players fresh for the knockout rounds. But are we really to believe that is what Gareth Southgate is doing or the disjointed performances in every match so far were part of a cunningly wrought plan to fox the other teams into underestimating England? Seems a tad unlikely to say the least. The simplest explanation is what I said earlier here and that he has a group of good and even great players but still has little idea what combination actually works as a team.

I think Portugal look a pretty good bet to go far in this competition because they have that right team and squad mix of old and new players. I'd have fancied Croatia for much the same reason, as well as the Spurs connection of Modric and Peresic, but that's not to be now.

Comment

Very happy for Radu Dragusin, Romania through to the second round as group winners, great stuff. Thanks to topping the dit: group they get a nice bonus of avoiding a second round match against France. Considering that a draw was enough to put both teams through, their match with Slovakia was a well contested affair that wasn’t a bad watch.

Edit: watched the Turkey vs Czech game last night too, which wasn't always the best but was a good watch thanks to the drama, right up to the last knockings there was a chance of the ten men Czech pulling off a shock win. And after mentioning before that I felt a bit sorry for Georgia for their "so close yet so far" results, I was really happy to see that they got a win over a (much changed) Portugal side to get themselves into the next round, I think they deserved it.

All four teams with a Spurs player involved get through to the second round too, which is good.

After reading before last night's matches that we had about a 70% chance of facing the Dutch in the second round, it turns out we ended up getting Slovakia. One of those "Won't be a walk in the park but you'd be disappointed to lose" type opponents.

If we get through that then our QF opponent would be Italy or Switzerland, and a semi-final opponent one of Romania, Netherlands, Austria or Turkey. That's such a favourable draw compared to what it could have been that the bookies have moved England back up to favourites to win the tournament!
      Last edited by EJG1980; Yesterday, 09:02.

Comment

Working...
      X