Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And he last club experience didn't exactly go to plan [re: Klinsmann]

Comment

For me, the midfield is a big problem, as although we have the athleticism to dominate that area against certain opponents there isn't a big enough division of roles: everyone is too similar. If you look at AVB's Porto team there was a clear division, with a holder [Fernando], passer [Moutinho] and box-to-box [Guarin or Belluschi]. I think he would ideally have liked to play 4-3-3 on regular basis, but couldn't trust wide players like Lennon and Townsend to provide necessary number of goals, so we ended up with a 4-2-3-1 with a No.10 who is more comfortable deeper, and too little support to the lone striker. Lamela and Chadli are far better suited to a 4-3-3, but he seemed reticent to use both simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
        My main problem with the team is that the midfield is often too conservative and doesn't offer enough creativity going forwards. We still haven't really replaced Modric effectively.
        As I heard one guy say yesterday, "one Spurs player going sideways passes to another Spurs player going sideways" hits the nail on the head.
        Your defence does play too deep frequently and often leave a big between themselves and midfield as many have said.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
          Agree with that, I think I said earlier in the thread that I didn't mind the sale of Parker as I'd want Sandro starting ahead of him anyway.

My main problem with the team is that the midfield is often too conservative and doesn't offer enough creativity going forwards. We still haven't really replaced Modric effectively.
          I said here earlier that I had no problem with Parker going as long as there was a good replacement willing to do the same job. Without that cover our defensive weakness when our first choice players are missing is glaringly obvious. This was the case under HR too and why Parker was bought.

I praised Dembele after one match here he was doing that Parker job very well. Sandro and Capoue too can do it but it is getting them to do it that is the problem. If the defence plays too deep, as others here have pointed out, that gap is a lot of work for one guy to fill and when they're not up for it yesterday's result is what can happen.

Comment

Good point. Well, if nothing else, it will be interesting to see how the new manager sets up the team.

Comment

Dont know what to say really.

I think we're going to be in a bigger mess than ever. Still, not like i've not seen this before over the last 30+ years.

Comment

One good(ish) thing: as reported here earlier the football gods were kind enough to Spurs with the Europa draw, not that I believe in such things, but perhaps it is a good omen for the future.

Comment

According to some bloke on the BBC, Tim Sherwood will be in charge for the West Ham game, any period beyond that only likely to be interim and no timescale on naming new boss. The bit in bold makes me worried for the rest of the season.

Hmm, Zola just resigned from Watford

Comment

Capello would be an absolutely superb manager but as you guys said its pretty much a definite he wont be the appointment.

Thats a very strange decision on the part of Tottenham. Really cant think of any manager available at the moment who is at the level Spurs require. Schteve Mclaren? Doing well with Derby.

edit : Zola would be a very very bad appointment. I follow Watford, to some degree, and I dont think he has achieved what he shold have done with the team they assembled.

Comment

i just knew Levy was going to pull the trigger on AVB after yesterday and hoped it wouldn't happen. Can't see how bringing in a new manager will make much difference, apart from the inevitable boost in results for two matches then back to normal for the rest of the season.

He should have been given the rest of the season imo

I'm assuming then as TS is taking charge that Freund has been given the bullet as well?

Comment

You must have about four games in the next fortnight so could really mess up your season if you drop bucketloads of points the remainder of this month.

Zola, ouch. Wouldn't fancy that idea long term.

Comment

Ok first up, im not trolling or trying to irk any Spurs fans. So where does Spurs fans and their deluded chairman think they should be in the pecking order? Above Chelsky? Above Man City spending billions, Man Utd are usually above them and with a resurgent Liverpool & Arsenal, that would put them around 5th or 6th, but most times they punch above their weight and come 4th or just miss out on CL. Levy has delusions of grandeur.

Comment

I agree. They also have a bunch of midfielders no better than the likes of Everton that cost a whole lot more.
                            Spurs have a good squad but not a great one.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                              Ok first up, im not trolling or trying to irk any Spurs fans. So where does Spurs fans and their deluded chairman think they should be in the pecking order? Above Chelsky? Above Man City spending billions, Man Utd are usually above them and with a resurgent Liverpool & Arsenal, that would put them around 5th or 6th, but most times they punch above their weight and come 4th or just miss out on CL. Levy has delusions of grandeur.
                              I'm certainly not a Tottenham fan but I think its perfectly reasonable to expect improvement considering the money they spent on the squad as a whole after selling Bale. I suppose the club have seen something in Villas Boas they dont think will do for the future, I think his comments about the fans at home matches definitely hasn't helped.

edit : Michael Laudrup is a mooted appointment, could be a very interesting one I think. He has done very well in his managerial career so far with smaller club. Would be very interesting to see what he can do with a club like Tottenham.
                              Last edited by Adrock; 16-12-2013, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                                Considering we've finished in the top five for the last four seasons that seems a realistic aim for this season, too. We don't know the full picture, but as I think you'll see from this thread, most right-minded Spurs supporters are disappointed to see him go at this stage of the season. If we are judging purely on results then it was certainly a harsh decision.

BT Sport are already reporting a 'source' that says AVB has wanted out since the summer and it wouldn't be at all surprising if we discover there was tension between AVB and Baldini over the summer signings, especially considering the fact that Lamela has barely played in the league, despite being one of our biggest buys. So there could have been things going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of and which have contributed to AVB losing his job.

I don't think Levy has delusions of grandeur - he simply wants to see a return on what he considers a large summer outlay. The Bale money and other sales may have funded the transfer fees, but the wage bill must have increased quite significantly. Like I've said, I don't particularly agree with the decision, but until we know all the facts, calling our chairman, who runs the club superbly, deluded is simply unfair.

Comment

Working...
                                X