No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As they were saying on BBC 5Live Spurs played this game tactically very badly but they would have lost anyway with MC on that sort of form.

Spurs should have been man marking the danger men like I suggested was necessary to curb Suarez before the Liverpool game. They didn't and here's the same sort of result. But as was said on MotD the real tactical mistake was not having a defensive minded midfielder (or at least somebody willing to take on that role) to protect Spurs' fragile back four.

I'm sorry to go back to mention him again but this is what Scott Parker was there for and I was OK with him going as long as they had somebody in to do that same role. Dembele has proved he could in some games but others, like tonight, he was AWOL. He was replaced by Capoue who then did an equally inadequate defensive job, judging from the MotD highjights, with the resulting consequence.

Comment

Our appeal against Danny Rose's red card has been successful and he's free to play against Hull tomorrow.

Sherwood says Kaboul, Vertonghen and Paulinho could feature in the match too. Sandro isn't quite ready yet (but has been back in training), Townsend and Lamela still injured.

Comment

Seems to be no important Spurs news in the transfer window unfortunately. The only thing of interest really is Holtby going on loan to Fulham.

Saturday Edit:-

Could have done with a win today but judging from the match report Spurs were lucky to come away with a draw. Still it keeps us in touch with fourth place but we badly need a win in the next game, that's for sure.
        Last edited by fallenangle; 01-02-2014, 22:55.

Comment

I wouldn't quite go as far as lucky, but we certainly can't complain about only getting a point. Plenty of possession and shots but as is often the case we had quantity of chances but not quality. Hull had less chances but they were better than the chances we created.

Still, Hull have been doing well at home this season and it's impossible to win every match, so a point when you're not at your best isn't to be sniffed at. Our next match against Everton is a crucial one though, I agree than not getting a win will start making things look a bit tough.

Edit: West Brom taking points off Liverpool today was a welcome result. Status quo maintained this weekend with the gap to a Champions League spot. Cheers Kolo
          Last edited by EJG1980; 02-02-2014, 14:29.

Comment

A win today would be very welcome but even then, with Liverpool in their current form, Spurs are going to be hard pressed getting back into serious contention for that fourth spot again.

Comment

Good result for you in the end, got the three points and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

You could be the first team ever to finish in the top six with a negative goal difference

Comment

Not a vintage performance today but Everton are a very tough side to beat (only lost three times this season before today) so any win over them is an excellent result.

There was a great moment after the match as Jermain Defoe did a lap of the stadium taking in the applause of the fan, as it was his last home league game for us before he leaves for Toronto. He might still appear in the home match against Dnipro, but it was probably a good idea to give him the send off today as it may not be a full house for a Europa League match.

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                You could be the first team ever to finish in the top six four with a negative goal difference
                Fixed that for you Anyway, our goal difference is now a magnificent zero, neither negative nor positive!

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                A win today would be very welcome but even then, with Liverpool in their current form, Spurs are going to be hard pressed getting back into serious contention for that fourth spot again.
                Regardless of Liverpool's form, three points behind fourth with thirteen games left surely qualifies as being in serious contention for a CL spot?

Our form itself, while we haven't hit the spectacular highs of Liverpool, is still very good. Six wins, two draws and one defeat since Sherwood has been in charge (we've actually caught up Liverpool by three points in that period). It'll be tough, but keep picking up points at the same rate for the rest of the season and we have an excellent chance of top four.

Fingers crossed that we can keep it going and Liverpool have a few more days like against WBA, rather than like they had against Arsenal!

Comment

You're away to Newcastle on Wednesday, and Liverpool are away to Fulham, going to be so tight for fourth and fifth etc and could end up with about six teams in a relegation battle on the last day of the season. What a fantastic season, especially now Arsenal and Man City are starting to falter.

Comment

I don't think Spurs will make top 4. I'd even take money on them not making top 6. Don't like Sherwood either.

Comment

Just hope they don't crumble during the last ten games of the season as they've done before, if they don't, no reason they can't get fifth, can see Everton dropping away so just Man U to keep behind them really.

Do have a bit of a soft spot for Spurs as my brother is such a dedicated life long fan of theirs.

Comment

I don't mind Spurs, I don't like Sherwood. 32 Goals in 25 goals played, it is going to pose problems as the season goes on. 32 Goals conceded isn't too bad, but goals for is a bit shabby.

Comment

Actually our goalscoring has improved a lot since Sherwood took over.

32 in 25 for the whole season but we scored 15 in our first 16 league matches under AVB, less than a goal a game. Since Sherwood became boss we've scored 17 in 9 matches and have yet to draw a blank. It's been a very welcome change!

Our defence is so weird. Of the 32 we've conceded HALF of then came in just three matches! In the other 22 matches we've only let in 16, which isn't bad going. Our goal difference would be reasonable if we could cut out those occasional 5 and 6 goal hammerings

Comment

I'm going to check them stats sir!

I hope you do finish above wankchester, on current form, yes. There are twists and turns to come. This has been a great PL season to date.
                            Sorry, I follow Coventry city, and I remember what a Wank he was there.

Comment

I'm not sold on Sherwood yet and I had my reservations when he was appointed. I'm still not sure he's going to have enough about him to be our manager long term, but, one can't argue with the number of points he's picked up so far. I hope he keeps it going because I'd be more than happy for him to prove my doubts wrong!

Coventry City? Agh, 1987

Comment

Yes, and I remember the day. And that's about it isn't it!

EDIT

That night we won the Cup was amazing. All people on their doorsteps, every car down the street was just a beep of horns until early hours, it was very very very very special.

On the Sunday, my Dad was working, but my Mum and one of my brothers (the other brother wasn't even born!) went into the town for the Sunday parade and it was amazing seeing the bus drive though, a see of sky blue shirts. I was 12 at the time. Although, when we were in the Prem League, I saw us beat UTD 3-2 at home, that was special, I went with the brother who was then born, he is die hard CCFC. That was a beautiful day.
                                Last edited by ShadowDancer; 09-02-2014, 21:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X