No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingers still crossed - probably dip in and out of it if R5 are covering it on the radio and then make a decison about wether to watch it on MotD, depending on the result.

Comment

A good result and performance today, although a pity we didn't win, but we were under pressure a lot in the second half so did well to hold on for the point.

I think we did very well at the back as while Arsenal were in charge they didn't have a huge amount of clear cut chances, we limited them very well and looked pretty solid for most of the match. I think the draw was fair in the end.

So, a good away point against a very tough opponent. Good commitment and work rate shown by the whole team, hopefully we can build on this over the next few matches.

Edit: forgot to mention, it has been a while since we've seen Kaboul at his best, but I thought he was superb today. Really strong, commanding, and he was cutting out almost everything Arsenal threw into the box. I really hope he can stay injury free and get back to his best on a consistent basis.
      Last edited by EJG1980; 27-09-2014, 20:50.

Comment

Indeed good result and fair result judging from MotD. Just a pity Spurs can put in a solid performance like that but mess up against the, so called, less good teams like WBA.

Comment

They've shown with the performance against QPR that they can put the "lesser" teams to the sword and yesterday we showed we can compete against the teams challenging for top four / title, so with a bit of luck we should get more consistent as the season goes on and the players get more and more used the Pochettino style.

Fingers crossed that leads to more performances similar to the ones against QPR and Arsenal and less like the ones against Liverpool and West Brom.

Comment

A draw last night with a win given away by ludicrously bad defending by Chirches resulting in a penalty. He clearly was not up to the job throughout the game and should have been subbed by someone who could handle Ba and the other opposition attackers better. Problem is I not sure there was anyone better available.

Comment

I thought Chiriches showed signs of promise last season but he hasn't looked good when he's played this term and last night was a really poor performance from him. It's a shame Kyle Walker is injured as I think that if he didn't have to cover right back, Eric Dier would probably get the nod as one of the two "reserve" centre backs.

It was a real shame to concede the equaliser so late, but to be honest, if it wasn't for Hugo Lloris making some brilliant saves we could have been level or worse before that. I think it was something like 24 shots to 9 in Besiktas' favour. Having said we did have two or three of our best passing moves and subsequent chances after we were 1-0 up, a pity we didn't get that second.

Oh well, ten of the usual first choice players we rested last night, so hopefully we'll be firing on all cylinders against Southampton on Sunday (and it looks like we'll need to be considering their great start to the season).

Comment

Yes, Lloris was great last night. Reminded me of the 'good old bad old days' of Spurs when the defence leaked like a sieve and only the god-like performances of Pat Jennings and later Ray Clemence in goal kept Spurs in with a chance during many, many games.

It'll be an interesting game against Southampton for all sorts of reasons but, short of a melt down, I think Spurs could come away with a win. Hope so anyway.

Comment

Your confidence was well founded, good performance today and I thought we deserved the three points. Had most of the better chances and were in control of the match more often than not. It was a lovely goal from Eriksen, nice lay off from Chadli to set him up. Chadli himself was very unlucky not to make it two nil before the break with his shot that hit the post.

The defence looked strong and resolute with only a few chances drawing routine saves from Lloris. The main scare was the chance Southampton had right at the end when Mane (I think) missed from close range, he really should have scored, but thankfully they didn't take their one big chance.

I enjoyed this photo of Eriksen celebrating, looks like Ryan Mason is leaning on an invisible bar:

Well I thought it was funny
                  Last edited by EJG1980; 06-10-2014, 08:09.

Comment

Good win and Eriksen's consistently important contibutions, for once on MotD, given the recognition they deserve.

Comment

Gah, a real shame how that match turned out in the end. Up until the moment Soldado missed his penalty we were well in that match and playing very well, producing some lovely attacking football and giving Man City a real run for their money.

Then the penalty miss that would have made it 2-2 (what a time for Soldado to finally miss a penalty for us!) and thirty seconds later they have a penalty and we're down to ten men. It was a penalty, Fazio was stupid for tugging Aguero in that situation, but it shouldn't have been a red at all. How can Aguero have been denied a CLEAR goal scoring opportunity when the ball hadn't even been crossed into the box when he was fouled?!

Ah well, bugger it, onwards and upwards! At least while it was eleven vs eleven we had some very encouraging signs for how our attacking play is developing. It's a shame we can't have Aguero up front for us! What a player he is.

Comment

Look forward to seeing it on MofD tonight for sure, at least Arsenal are losing with under ten minutes to go

Comment

Last minute equaliser for Arsenal, cheers, you must have jinxed it Still, not bad, was expecting them to gain three points on us today so only one isn't too bad when you consider who we played and who they played.

It should be worth a watch tonight, Man City vs Spurs was a great match for the neutral. Oh, well, and Man City fans in the end! Despite the scoreline I'm not feeling too despondent, as I said before we were looking good and more than giving Man City a run for their money until the red card. On another say Soldado could have made it 2-2 and who knows what would have happened? Fine margins that can turn a match.

Three home games in a row now. Hopefully we can bounce back from defeat with progress in the cups and a win over Newcastle.

Comment

May have been a good match to watch but still yet another big loss against Man.City. As somebody on the BBC's Final Score remarked last season over the two Premiership games against them Spurs lost 11-1. Now that's 15-2 which is at least a slight improvement.

Comment

Indeed it's no fun to lose 4-1, but all the other recent thrashings (the 5-1 a couple of years ago and the two matches last season) we were completely abysmal and played off the park.

Until that crazy minute where we missed a penalty and then conceded one and were reduced to ten men, we were playing well, causing an City problems, and in with a good chance of getting something from the game. A far, far cry from last season's matches, and I'm gonna take the positives from that.

Edit: I'm going senile early, there was five minutes between our penalty miss and them making it 3-1
                              Last edited by EJG1980; 18-10-2014, 17:59.

Comment

After watching MotD I think it would have been very different if Soldado hadn't missed the penalty and that blatant dive by Lampard inside the box hadn't been given. As I said last season I so wish Spurs had snapped Lampard up as he would have been just what we needed even if just for a couple of seasons - a mid-fielder who can defend, distributes, tackles well and scores goals.

Just how long are we going to persevere with the under-performing Soldado? He's our Torres and we either need to get rid or give him a regular strike partner, something I've been saying about the Spurs attack selection for years. Few of our midfielders, except Eriksen, seem to have the desire or energy to get up and support the striker when needed and he can't do everything.

So in January Spurs need a new striker, a reliable holding midfielder and at least one new centre back. I'd off load Paulinho, another under-performer, and a couple of our dodgy defenders and get in some new quality blood. If not, we'll be scraping and scrapping for a top six place for seasons to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X