No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever one thinks of him off the field / behind the scenes, his goalscoring record for Spurs is actually good. Only Sheringham and Klinsmann have a better goals per game ratio in the PL era.

It does make you wonder though, what would his record be like if wasn't falling out with managers or being cursed by his mother's voodoo incantations?

Looks like Kyle Naughton is on the way to Swansea, ?5 million fee agreed between the clubs according to the BBC. He was a decent enough reserve but he was never going to nail down a first team spot, best for his career if he can get first team football elsewhere, I hope he gets that at Swansea.

Comment

Important game today, just hope Spurs give a decent account of themselves and get a firm start on the road to the Capital One Cup final.

I fancy Liverpool to beat Chelsea in their second leg. Don't know why, just do. A Spurs versus Liverpool final would be a very attractive prospect with two pretty well matched teams but I have confidence we could come away with it against them. Chelsea though ..........not so sure. We may have slapped them good a few weeks ago but doing that twice in a season would be a miracle.

Comment

I like a bit of excitement but I would be more than happy with some professional, slightly dull, straight-forward wins in both matches against Sheffield United! Potential banana skin and we need to be on our toes to avoid it. If we can get a clean sheet and a healthy lead tonight to take into the second leg that would be lovely.

Yeah, on paper, Spurs and Liverpool are evenly matched and either team could win if both played at their best on the day. If we get Chelsea and they play at their best... much harder to see us winning, they're not top of the league for no reason. Still, as long as we're in the final, I don't mind who we get, and if we play at our best we've definitely got a chance of lifting the cup against either of them.

Comment

That was a tough bugger of a match last night. Full credit to Sheffield Utd who were superbly disciplined and organised at the back, and but for that moment of handball madness from their defender would probably have got the draw.

It didn't help that we had an off night creatively. We kept possession well but were pedestrian and lacking ideas and invention, didn't do enough to pull Sheffield Utd out of their shape. Still, it's impossible for players to turn it on every single match, and we did manage to take a lead into the second leg.

I expect it'll be another tough match, but hopefully we can get the job done.

Comment

We got a result and even if that was only one goal it is still a good start.

They were fairly critical of the Spurs selection and formation on the BBC, making just that point about the side not having the ideas or invention to overcome the disciplined Sheffield Utd defence.

Playing Kane and Adebayor together was a particular mistake and why the latter was playing at all I can't understand, it felt more like Spurs were throwing him a bone. His record for Spurs is irrelevant - we should have been playing the best team possible right from the start and should not have included somebody who is half fit and inconsistent.

I think we'll need another goal to be sure but I'm confident that, failing some grotesque mistakes, we do have the beating of SU.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
              Playing Kane and Adebayor together was a particular mistake and why the latter was playing at all I can't understand, it felt more like Spurs were throwing him a bone. His record for Spurs is irrelevant - we should have been playing the best team possible right from the start and should not have included somebody who is half fit and inconsistent.
              I agree, right now Adebayor should be 3rd choice in the pecking order of the strikers. I can understand that if he's not going to be sold, the club will want Adebayor to be match fit so he's ready if called upon, but I'd rather his fitness be built via sub appearances, not starts.

The other problem with dropping Harry Kane back to play another striker is that Eriksen then also gets shunted out to the left, so you have two players (and on form you have to say our two best players this season) both playing out of position. They've both done well in those positions before, but Eriksen is definitely better in the middle and Kane is definitely better up front.

Personally last night I'd have left Kane and Erkisen in their best positions and just played Lennon on the wing (to fill in for the absent Chadli).

Comment

Bugger, another year without an FA Cup

We deserved our lead in the first half, but I thought Leicester were the better side in the second half and deserved at least an equaliser. A bit like the league game where we grabbed the winner in a tight contest, now they've done the same to us, so can't complain about the result. Good luck to them in the next round.

Still, two more cups left to concentrate on, let's hope we can lift at least one of them!

Also good to see Mason back in the last match and now Lamela in this one. We have a fully fit squad for once (sans Bentaleb at the ACON and Chadli due to a family bereavement).

Comment

It was a stupid and bad way to lose a game we could and should have one but I'm not that upset by it. It will free up the fixtures a bit and allow Spurs to concentrate on winning the Capital One Cup, getting as far as possible in the Europa League and ending the Premiership in a decent position too.

I liked what they showed of Lamela's form and energy yesterday although I'm still convinced he sees himself as some sort of Argentine Ronaldo. But he's toning down the tricksy stuff and seems to be losing the ball less often as a result making him a much more viable choice. Andros Townsend is continuing to make a very good argument for himself as first choice on the right too.

If only Poch would be more consistent in his selections - 9 changes!!!? As Jermain Jenas was saying on MotD - that was just a wrong decision.

Comment

It's a shame Lamela got injured at Xmas and missed six games as he has definitely been improving and growing in confidence game by game, but luckily it doesn't seem to have set him back form wise. A decent and bright 90 minutes in his first match back.

On the plus side his enforced absence gave Andros Townsend the chance to start a few matches and I think he's taken that chance pretty well. My first choice attack would still be Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela behind Kane up front, but I'm more confident now that Townsend can step in and do a good job than I would have been a month or two ago. Multiple players in decent form and competition for places is never a bad thing.

So, Sheffield United stand between us and a Wembley final against Chelsea. As you said we should have the beating of Sheffield unless we seriously mess it up, but an early goal to give us a bit more breathing space and deflate the home crowd would be welcome. I'd love it to be a stress free stroll to the final, but that just doesn't sound like Spurs. Whatever happens, as long as we make it to Wembley, that'll do!

Comment

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Sure you'll hit the target more than we did last night

Had to post this, can't remember where I read it last night, don't think it was on here

Comment

How inaccurate. I've never heard such a word used to describe Tottenham's famously impenetrable defence...

Comment

I saw the item as it was also repeated on the BBC teletext sport > football pages yesterday. Made me laugh - its too witty to have come from an Arsenal supporter my money is on the suggestion it originated from an exasperated Spurs' fan.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 29-01-2015, 11:55.

Comment

For 77 minutes it was looking like a textbook away performance. An earlyish goal (what a free kick from Eriksen!), in control of the match, home crowd quiet, a pretty much drama free evening... and then out of nowhere we have two minutes of Google defending and all of a sudden it looks like we're going to have to go through the slog of extra time.

Ah well, it wouldn't be Spurs without some kind of dramatic twist!

Thankfully we kept our heads and Eriksen pops up yet again with another late goal (wonderfully skilful and subtle finish, and a lovely through ball from Kane to set it up) so despite the late scare we managed to get the job done in ninety minutes.

Could have done without the heart attack inducing finale, but in the end all that matters is that... Spurs are on their way to Wembley!

Comment

Yes was good to watch on MOTD last night, Eriksen took the second one well. Sheffied United could quite have easily nicked a third, but as you say watching Spurs is a like a rollercoaster ride, ups, downs, twists, the lot.

Should be a good final too, which could go either way really but you'll know who will be the favourites.

Comment

Working...
                                X