No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see we are actually bolstering the defence with some new blood but only time will tell if KT was a good buy.

I'm not his greatest fan but more worried that we may lose Lloris despite all the things he has, apparently, been saying about wanting to stay at Spurs. There were rumours in some of the newspapers today that Spurs are seriously looking at other goalkeepers with a view to purchase. Hope they are just rumours.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 22-06-2015, 10:54.

Comment

I should preface this by saying that I'm a massive Lloris fan, I don't want us to sell Lloris, and the feeling in my water is that he won't be leaving this summer. But...

If we actually improved the defence then losing Lloris wouldn't be an insurmountable loss. A solid defence + a reasonable keeper would almost certainly let in less goals than last season's combo of a dodgy defence + world class keeper.

Of course, I obviously want us to pull off the ideal solution of improving our defensive solidity AND keeping Hugo Lloris in goal!

Comment

I certainly don't think we'll find anyone better than Lloris without spending some serious money. Getting a generally higher quality pool of defensive players, particularly in the centre, should be our prime concern though.

For as far back as I can remember Spurs have too often relied on having a top quality goalkeeper, like Lloris, to make up for the mediocrity of their defence. It would be so good to have both elements sorted at the same time and help us stop leaking the goals which are the difference between a serious challenge for a top four place and scrabbling to stay in the top six.

Worried to read that Dembele is, allegedly, a Chelsea target. He's a good player, apart from Eriksen, the best midfield purchase Spurs made post Bale. Hate to lose him.

Comment

I've seen stories from different sources on the very same day that completely contradict each other: Lloris not for sale at any price / Spurs line up X as Lloris replacement, Lamela going to Juve / Poch expecting big season from Lamela, Spurs deal with Konoplyanka done / Spurs have zero interest in Konoplyanka, etc., etc..

I'm know there are genuine stories in there that are properly sourced, but the problem is that it's mixed in with 90% bull**** that is just written to generate clicks making it tough to spot which ones ARE genuine. So for any outgoings or incomings I'm just taking everything with a pinch of salt at the moment, and not worrying or getting excited until I see something official from the club.

Comment

One midfielder has gone though, Paulinho has joined Chinese team Guangzhou Evergrande for €14 million.

No official word from Spurs yet but Guangzhou have announced it and plastered him all over their web site and twitter feed, signing his contract, wearing the kit, etc., so unless they've kidnapped him without Spurs knowing I think it's safe to say it's a done deal

Comment

Good news about Paulinho, one of the worst purchase decisions after the Bale windfall. Not awful, far from it, but just not right for Spurs or the Premiership IMHO.

Comment

I was excited when we signed him (first choice in the Brazil midfield at the time, just had a superb Confederations Cup) but for whatever reason it just didn't click for him here.

Best for both sides if he moves on, glad we got a reasonable amount of cash for him, and hopefully he can rediscover his form and make it back to a decent European or South American team in the future.

Comment

Another midfield player gone with Capoue going to Watford (rumours that they're close to buying Stambouli as well). Also, Lewis Holtby's loan to Hamburg was made permanent. Definitely looks like we're clearing the decks this summer to trim the squad to just the players that Poch wants at the club.

Another incoming announced too with Toby Alderweireld signing from Atletico Madrid a few minutes ago. Hopefully that should help reduce the goals against next season. He partnered Vertonghen at Ajax for 3-4 years so with luck they should have an instant understanding at the back.

Strong rumours that there will be an announcement today about updates to the design for the new stadium and a possible link up with the NFL.

There's definitely an updated design coming (the club and Haringey council already confirmed they were in discussions about it and the developer is making a public presentation to Tottenham locals on the 15th) but there have been rumours that we've agreed a deal with the NFL to host some (or all) of the games currently played at Wembley. It's expected that the design changes would include a sliding grass pitch for football with an artificial NFL pitch below it. Could be a real money spinner for Spurs if true.

Hopefully we'll find out later today!

Comment

Yup, it's a done deal with the NFL:

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

A minimum of two games per year at the new Spurs stadium, for ten years (though if things go well I can see that being increased). Retractable grass pitch confirmed, and Daniel Levy has confirmed in a video on NFL.com that the capacity will be just over 61,000 (a nice tribute to the 1961 double winners ).

This could be a really big boost for the club. Wembley make ?3 million per game from the NFL, but more than that, this will get us massive exposure in the US and should have sponsors licking their lips. Now we can offer any stadium sponsor a stadium that not only gets world wide Premier League exposure, but also big exposure in the US too.

As the rumours of the NFL announcement were spot on, hopefully they're also spot on about Spurs revealing the updated renders of what the new stadium will look like, later today.

Comment

Press release from Spurs

Press release from Populous (stadium architects)

Got an updated photo of the outside of the stadium from Populous:

Hopefully internal renders to come later today.

The best snippet of info from that Populous press release is that the single tier stand will have a capacity of 17,000!!! That's going to be absolutely EPIC

Comment

More from Spurs on the updated design of the stadium

Outside view:

Inside Football:

Inside NFL:

And the section of the Spurs web site dedicated to all the new stadium stuff

Comment

Most importantly for us away fans...will your new place have a tube station nearby? Less walking means more drinking, for a Villa fan being blind drunk pre match is VERY important

Comment

A good question; I wondered if they would be addressing that matter too.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronSqwelch View Post
                              Most importantly for us away fans...will your new place have a tube station nearby? Less walking means more drinking, for a Villa fan being blind drunk pre match is VERY important
                              Unfortunately not! New stadium is being built in in the same spot as the current stadium:

So no new tube station. If you want less walking you could always get the tube to Liverpool Street and then take the train from there to White Hart Lane rail station. Then it's only a 2-3 minute walk to the stadium.

There will be some upgrades though: WHL station is being upgraded at there will be a Wembley Way style walkway directly from the train station to the stadium. There will also be a new shuttle bus service from Tottenham Hale tube station direct to the stadium. I think Northumberland Park rail station (ten min walk from the stadium) is getting upgraded as well to increase the number of trains per hour.

Yesterday was a pretty good day: new signing announced in the morning, new stadium plans and NFL link up at lunch time, then later in the afternoon I got an email from the club confirming that, after seven years on the waiting list, I was finally being offered a season ticket

Edit: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-...ell-connected/ has details of all the transport plans.
                              Last edited by EJG1980; 09-07-2015, 13:19.

Comment

Talking of Wembley I read yesterday that Spurs are vying with Chelsea to be able to use Wembley Stadium for home games during their grounds' redevelopment. Chelsea have made a higher bid but there is pressure from various London politicians for them to share Wembley to ensure the money both clubs generate stays in London.

It will be interesting for me if this happens as I live a 10 minute tube or overground train ride from Wembley. I might even be tempted to go to see Spurs play live for the first time in decades if I can afford the ticket. But the point is if Wembley happens Spurs supporters from almost anywhere in the country except, ironically, NE London will spoiled by just how easy it is to get there on public transport.

Comment

Working...
                                X