No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressed with last night, given all the changes. Son was brilliant - I really would like to see him given a run in the league side at the expense of Lamela who, despite being better this season, still does little to impact a game. Dembele, Dier and Alli seem to be must starters when fit, so that leaves any two from Eriksen, Son, Chadli and Lamela. At the moment, I'd go for Eriksen and Son.

Looking forward to a proper old-fashioned cup tie in the next round.

Comment

I think Lamela is underrated in the impact he has on the team. There has been many a Spurs goal where, while he may not be putting the ball in the net of being credited with the final assist, Lamela has provided a clever pass or flick in the build up that we wouldn't have scored without (although only Kane and Eriksen have more combined goals and assists for Spurs this season than Lamela, so not shabby on those stats either).

Also his workrate and pressing are phenomenal and I think really help set the tempo for the whole team when it comes to closing down and harrying the opposition. A couple of times earlier in the season (such as away against Arsenal) our pressing of the opposition noticeably dropped off when Lamela came off and the team suffered because of it.

Having said all that, I do agree that Son has earned a chance to start in the first eleven. He started his Spurs career brilliantly, got injured, then struggled to regain his form, but his last two or three appearances (culminating in last night's motm display) show he's finding his mojo again. And right now I agree that Lamela is the player who should make way as he's been below par in the past two or three matches, and possibly could do with a bit of a rest to recharge the batteries.

Comment

So you kind of agree? ;-)

Good point re work rate though - I'd forgotten that. I wonder whether the three behind Kane should be rotated more often - rest Alli for a game, play Eriksen just behind Kane, for example? Rest Eriksen, play Son etc etc.

The glaring position we can't cover is Kane up front - if we are to compete against really good teams in all three competitions, Kane can't play all those matches. I'm not sure the kind of mix we put out last night will be able to take on the better teams left in the PL/EL/FA Cup.
        Last edited by TonyDA; 21-01-2016, 11:38.

Comment

Apparently Spurs have several strikers in their sights for signing in the January window including West Brom's Saido Berahino (again), Fulham's Moussa Dembele, Athletic Madrid's Jackson Martinez and Barcelona's Sandro Ramirez. Mostly speculation but the last one does sound like the deal is actually in play.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
            So you kind of agree? ;-)
            Ha ha, yes, partial agreement

Nice to get a reminder last night from Chadli that he'll also be in the mix for those three spots behind the striker. He didn't get many plaudits last season but he quietly went about scoring 11 goals in 35 matches; only Kane scored more. Disrupted by injury this season but it's good to see him back in contention during what will be (hopefully, if we keep progressing in the cups!) a very busy remainder of the season.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
            Apparently Spurs have several strikers in their sights for signing in the January window including West Brom's Saido Berahino (again), Fulham's Moussa Dembele, Athletic Madrid's Jackson Martinez and Barcelona's Sandro Ramirez. Mostly speculation but the last one does sound like the deal is actually in play.
            Interesting quotes from Poch a couple of days ago. Basically says that if we can't do a deal for a player he really wants, he'd rather have nobody or promote a youth team player.

I can see his point, considering he spent this summer clearing out the "deadwood" from the squad why buy a player for the sake of it who will probably end up going the same way? It also leaves us with less money when a player comes along that Poch really does want.

If we don't buy anyone I think we'll see continue to see Son being the default option to play up front when Kane is rested. Although not an out and out striker, he has played there a number of times in the past, I don't see it being a problem if it's a game here and a game there. Maybe more worrying if Kane was out long term. But, if the only dedicated strikers available are average and Poch doesn't rate them, I think I'd rather stick with what we've already got too.

BTW, I don't believe the Jackson Martinez link at all. 29 years old, ?20 million + transfer fee, big wages. Goes completely against the profile of player we've been buying since Poch has been here. Dembele and Sandro Ramirez I find much more believable.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
              BTW, I don't believe the Jackson Martinez link at all. 29 years old, ?20 million + transfer fee, big wages. Goes completely against the profile of player we've been buying since Poch has been here. Dembele and Sandro Ramirez I find much more believable.
              Spot on. Does not feel like the type of player Levy would sanction - no resale value at all!

Also think Berahino is an over-priced trouble maker, to be honest, and I'm not too convinced about his ability. I think Poch's recent comments about not wanting anyone who might be disruptive was aimed in West Brom's direction. Rumours are their chairman doesn't want to deal with us and with apparent interest from Newcastle, the price keeps going up. He's not worth it....

Comment

I agree. If Berahino was as good as the type of striker we need he would have had more impact already and there would be clubs other than Newcastle serious about looking to sign him. Worth a punt at ?10 - ?12m perhaps but above that, and apparently Newcastle have offered ?15m, too much of a gamble. We certain don't want another expensive, 'mercurial' striker like Adebayor.

Comment

Apparently, Tottenham are still paying Adebayor ?100k a week. Having lost my job last summer, I can't even laugh at the preposterousness of that.....

Palace away tomorrow. They're due a goal and a win, and Pardew has a history of getting his teams up for playing us. The kind of game I'd normally take a draw in, but we really need a win.

Comment

Yup, as mentioned above, Poch has commented that he gives equal importance to the attitude and character of player as he does to ability. I'm fairly sure some of the players who have left since he's been manager will have been more due to lack of attitude than lack of ability. I think the way Berahino has (reportedly) acted since not getting his move to us in the summer will have put Poch off quite a bit.

Comment

Yes! Get in! Dele Alli's goal Amazing strike. Man Utd losing in the last minute was a lovely unexpected bonus!

Comment

Looks like Spurs left it a bit late but we won and scored all the goals too. Excellent result indeed and when I saw Man Utd had lost, yes, extra good news.

West Ham and Man City are still having a ding-dong game last time I checked and however that turns out it will likely also help consolidate are positition in the top four as well.

MotD is going to be a must watch tonight that's for sure.

Comment

Pretty good day all round!

Comment

If that Dele Alli goal isn't a top contender for goal of the season there are going to have to be some incredibly good goals scored between now and May to push it off the top spot. From HK's cross to CE's cushioned header and DA control and finish - superb football.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 24-01-2016, 23:15.

Comment

Even the Spurs fans on here have to admit that a top-four finish is theirs to lose now, surely? Cannot really see anybody else catching them.

Comment

I think MK Dons might have sold him for too little now!
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X