David Beckham to retire from football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
    He was very much a first choice player at Madrid. In his first three seasons he started 113 league / CL matches and was a sub twice. http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/8880/d...eckham?cc=5739

In his final season Capello dropped him after his move to LA Galaxy was announced, saying he wouldn't play for Madrid again as he didn't think Beckham would give 100% with such a big money move coming up. A couple of months later Beckham had forced his way back into the team with Capello admitting he'd got it wrong and shouldn't have dropped him.

Again, nothing to do with his talent, but something that I think sets him apart from the average player. No sulking, no giving up, just putting in enough hard work to get one of the greatest managers in world football to admit he was wrong and put Beckham back in the team.
    Fair play on the Madrid front. You definitely cant deny the desire he had and the passion that he played with throughout his career. Which is why I suppose he is retiring now. He could probably have milked a few more seasons somewhere and made cameo appearances but that wouldn't suit him.

Going to the MLS when he did was the biggest mistake of his career, I think. He may have made the money but he could have moved to another European league and continued to play at a decent level. That. for me, is why he wont be considered great.

Comment

Working...
    X