• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock Gaming Laptop

Rock CTX Pro Gaming Laptop
    120Gb HDD
    3Gb RAM
    nvidia 7950GTX Go mobile graphics (512Mb)
    Core Duo 2.0Ghz
    17inch glass screen (1680 by 1050)
    XP Media Centre Edition

Laptop will boot into safe mode, however it looks like the graphics card has overheated as there is artifacting on the screen (vertical banding). Will not boot into XP any more, just stalls after the splash screen. Internet searches confirm my suspicions.... I'm annoyed as normally I run it on a cooling pad, but one of my kids left it switched on without the pad running in 40 degree heat here in a closed room, while it was playing Tropico 3. Sigh.

It's a fairly common problem with the 7950GTX. This is my second Rock, I also have one with a 7800GTX Go which I think is probably the best for the chassis. Sold on the assumption you are quite clear that you'll need to replace the grapics card (or fix it, if this is possible).

Laptop has some general wear and tear. Right hand hinge is a little spongey (and there is a loose connection to the webcam because of it), some case wear, slight dint on the back of the lid (fairly minor all these things, as you can see from the photos I can send via PM if you're interested)

Laptop performance is (was) excellent, it'll handle most stuff - for example STALKER with the Complete mod runs quite happily. Never tried Crysis on it, but no reason to think it wouldn't run pretty well at medium detail.

Would like to trade for a reasonably specced desktop (base unit only). I really just use the thing for music sequencing, with an occasional bit of gaming. Mainly I'm interested in swapping for a desktop of some sort, as the way my studio and everything is set up I'd prefer not to have a laptop sitting in the middle of it. Selling, would look at something around £170, but I'm open to offers - though I'd prefer to swap if at all possible. If you're somewhere between Dover and Edinburgh near the M6 I can swap when I return to the UK this Saturday.

If you think you can fix it, and are charging a reasonable fee, then PM me also!
    Last edited by cavalcade; 25-05-2010, 21:36.
Working...
X