Half-Life 1 - $0.98 through Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half-Life 1 - $0.98 through Steam

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the game, it's $0.98 for a limited time only!

While it is not the Source version, the Steam version has been updated to work correctly on modern graphics cards and operating systems.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make this work in 16:9 resolutions? The only widescreen options it's giving me are 16:10 I think as my monitor won't take them.

Comment

I have access to 1280x720 (16:9) on my laptop, as well as my laptop's native 1280x800 (16:10). It's supposed to detect the resolutions supported by your GPU. You could try manually adding the resolution within the drivers.

Comment

Hmm. Maybe the game doesn't support anything higher than 1280x720 as that's the highest I can get, but unfortunately my TV doesn't support that resolution. I'm having to play it in 1024x720 in the wrong aspect ratio, or play it in a window that doesn't fill the screen

Comment

I can't really suggest anything, although I know my mate plays it in 1920x1200 on his laptop, and I can play it in 1360x768 (16:9) on my HDTV back home. You may be able to force resolution by editing the ini or similar configuration file.

It's definately the Steam version you're using, right? Because the retail disc (i.e non-Steam) is only 4:3.

Comment

1360x768 is the native res of my TV and also the res I have Windows set up in, so I don't know why it's not coming up. I am using the Steam version as well, I downloaded it today.

When I set it to 1280x720 it was coming up blank but I reset it through the command line, so I'll see if I can't force the resolution that way.

Comment

Oh man, thats good. I'd pick this up just for the expansions. Its a shame that opposing force or blue shift arn't compatible with the Source version as i have that already. :/

Comment

I couldn't get it working in anything but 1024x768, but honestly, I don't think upping the resolution any higher is going to improve these decade-old textures and models

Unfortunately it's now started crashing with a repeating sound bug every five minutes, which is odd as I played it for nearly an hour this-morning with no trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X