Guillermo Del Toro Deluxe Blu-ray Collection - ?35.39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guillermo Del Toro Deluxe Blu-ray Collection - ?35.39

I know people have asked about this before as it can be quite expensive with a RRP of ?74:99. Base.com have it in stock with free delivery for ?35.39 which is as cheap as I've seen it.

The box set contains the recent blu-ray Special Editions of Cronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, the films are also available separately but they go for ?15:00 each at the moment.

It doesn't interest me personally but the box set does include a themed pop-up display as you can see in the trailer. For the people who do care, I've found some more photos of the box set here.

Nice find. I do like my digipacks.

Comment

It does sell for around ?40 in some retailers but it's still a bit of a saving over what it normally is.

Comment

I thought I'd mention that I ordered this on the 7th and it was delivered today, they had to wait for stock to come which is why it's taken a week.

It seems to be a decent enough set.

Comment

If you've watched Pan's, is the transfer better than the previously available bluray edition of the film?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to compare it to as I've either borrowed or given somebody my original copy of Pan's Labyrinth. I'd imagine that as this set has been out for a while that there are reviews available which compare the two releases.

From memory the USA release of Pan's Labyrinth had some pretty awful DNR as well as a few other issues with the picture quality but from memory the UK version was fine although I can't be certain of that.

Pan's Labyrinth seems to be one of those films that has had remarkably different standards on blu-ray from country to country

This release does benefit from a lossless 5.1 audio mix though which is instantly noticeable in the brief scenes I've tried. I don't know why we didn't get it in the last release as I think other countries did.

The only other comparison I have is the Criterion edition of Cronos but I've only checked Pan's Labyrinth so far and the only way I have to compare them is by changing the disc which tends to be unless something is jarringly wrong with one of them.

EDIT:
            Just found some images on this thread on AVS which illustrates the differences between earlier versions, not what you're looking for but I've seen nothing to suggest the new UK version is different to the old UK version.
            Last edited by JP; 14-05-2011, 20:58.

Comment

Working...
            X