Akira Blu Ray Steelbook 9.99 Play.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akira Blu Ray Steelbook 9.99 Play.com

Play are doing the steelbook Bluray of Akira for 9.99. It's well worth picking up as the picture and sound quality are amazing.

Cheers, ordered. Bargain of the month this one

Comment

Yeah I couldn't resist either. Have got about 3 copies of it in various formats already, but if there's even a slight improvement in quality I can justify a buy / re-watch

Comment

couldnt see that much of an improvement visually on the US multiregion disc, but the sound is amazing (if you have a DTSHD/Dolby HD amp).

The bit rate is the highest yet I think

Comment

Thanks, I've not seen this for ages because I've only got the double-VHS pack (remember videotapes?!)

DVD and Blu-Ray is a great idea.

Is there anybody who's not seen Akira? I saw it at an arthouse cinema when I was about 12!

Comment

*raises hand*

I guess it's about time I see this, so order placed!

Comment

Gah, I have no money spare to buy this!

I have only seen 10-15 minutes of it online then decided that was a bit scabby and wanted to watch it properly on Dvd...then Bluray came around and I still don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                Gah, I have no money spare to buy this!

I have only seen 10-15 minutes of it online then decided that was a bit scabby and wanted to watch it properly on Dvd...then Bluray came around and I still don't have it.
                Do you have access to a Multi Region DVD player??

I have a spare Region 1 DVD (Pioneer Special Edition release from the early 2000's) that you can borrow if you like??

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                  couldnt see that much of an improvement visually on the US multiregion disc, but the sound is amazing (if you have a DTSHD/Dolby HD amp).

The bit rate is the highest yet I think
                  I thought the quality was exactly the same, for pic and sound?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, this is still an immense film, but I'm curious to see what the people who've not seen it think of it.

As a 12-year-old kid seeing it at the cinema, my mind was blown. Here was a cartoon like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was feature-length, it was creating scenes that special effects at that time were unable to convincingly recreate, there was drugs, boobs and swearing, there was an amazing soundtrack and it wasn't aimed at children.

The opening scenes of Kaneda and his gang cruising Neo-Tokyo.

There's no way somebody watching a film with 23 years of hype can ever think anything other than "It's not that great."

Can they...?

EDIT: I asked an 18 year old girl at work if she'd seen Back to the Future. She said "What's Back to the Future?". Another 18 guy is aware of it, but not seen it.

If I gave them the DVD to watch would they enjoy it or dismiss it as anachronistic? They wouldn't use that word as they didn't know who Gaddafi was or what an ampersand is...

In the same way we'd probably skip seeing a silent film in favour of seeing a modern film, maybe?

Have I totally derailed this thread?!
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 12-08-2011, 15:49.

Comment

Did anybody catch the basterdised version on the SCI-FI Channel the other month.. was quite pumped up to hear they were premier'ing the HD version, set the sky+ to record it and promptly stoppped it when the the guy at the bar right at the start ask's for peanuts instead of red benny's..

Comment

Ordered.

Haven't seen it since the heady days of the VHS tape - good times!!

Comment

Well I put this up there with Blade Runner in the pantheon of sci fi films. I think they are both so unique and ahead of their time they won't date. More like fine wine they improve with age

Comment

The price and the fact that I don't already own Akira (seen it once years ago) made it quite an easy decision to pick this up. Thanks for heads-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                              Do you have access to a Multi Region DVD player??

I have a spare Region 1 DVD (Pioneer Special Edition release from the early 2000's) that you can borrow if you like??

Neil
                              Ah mate that is very kind of you! Unfortunately I don't have a multi-region player any more Kind of crazy really considering the access to all the other players in the house and none of them are multi-region - I had this problem not long ago when I wanted to watch Blade (R1 I think) and went to every machine and tried it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X