C64 Joystick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C64 Joystick

Hi, I'm after a joystick to use with my Commodore 64. Anything will do, so long as it's cheap, and works, of course. Let me know what you've got

Thanks!

A Kempston Comp Pro is what you need:

Comment

Watching! Thanks!

Comment

As a stop gap, I'm guessing a Master System or Mega Drive pad may well work, as they have the same plug.

Comment

Tried that, couldn't get it to work

Comment

You can use a Mega Drive pad, but best not to, it's not quite wired the same and can eventually burn out chips inside the C64.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I have a: http://richardlagendijk.nl/cip/categ...ickshot_qs-131

You can have it for a fiver posted, if that's not too much.

Comment

Thanks speedy, if you don't mind though, I'm gonna try and get a Comp Pro first now, as after doing some research they do indeed seem to be very highly regarded.

Comment

No offence to speedy but quickshots are garbage IMO (everyone had them at school mind!). A comp pro or a Wico is best.
                  For the genuine experience you need one of these though:

Note the ergonomically shaped triangular stick. So comfortable in the hand for extended play sessions.

Comment

Is that just one fire button on that? This is going to sound stupid, but don't you NEED at least two buttons? It's been so long since I played the C64, I can't remember. We used to have original Atari sticks for ours, and I do remember having to hit spacebar to do rolls in 1942 - is that weird?

Comment

Lol, no offense taken, it's just been laying about since I got a C64 on a whim.

My Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition works on C64 funnily enough..
                      Last edited by speedlolita; 23-09-2010, 10:26.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                        Is that just one fire button on that? This is going to sound stupid, but don't you NEED at least two buttons? It's been so long since I played the C64, I can't remember. We used to have original Atari sticks for ours, and I do remember having to hit spacebar to do rolls in 1942 - is that weird?
                        Only supports 1 button. The 2 buttons you see on the comp pro are just to support left or right handed operation. Back then that's all we needed!

Comment

Space bar was king with loads of 8 bit computers..pretty sure that's normal Noobs

Comment

Thing is, at least with the C64, if the game uses joystick port two, you can plug another joystick into port one and press the fire button on that (preferably with the foot for that "authentic" experience) to duplicate the space bar. Quirk in the way the C64 is wired inside you see... some of the joystick lines cross the keyboard lines...
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

God, I remember that.

Comment

Working...
                              X