Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    Apparently Modern Warfare is closing in on 200GB.

Going to be horrid with XSX and PS5 where mechanical drives are no longer going to cut it (i.e. only be good enough for legacy/backcompat games or storage) and those NVMe drives are going to be really expensive.
    Yeah it's going to be rough.

I want to upgrade my SSD, GPU and go from 8GB DDR3 to 16GB DDR3. I think at this point I might as well just build a new rig though. I just don't want to get caught in that end of generation cycle where you upgrade just as new consoles are coming out, and then the next genration of games/PC hardware makes your build obsolute.

Comment

Console partisanship. It's infecting the whole internet at the moment. It's such a snore and people who follow console manufacturers like football teams really need to give it a rest.

Comment

Definite +1 on the above.

Also, similar vein, games journalism and/or fanboy discourse that inevitably comes around with every popular release. The Last of Us 2 being the current subject, with embarrassing hyperbole, developers picking fights with critics, and people out in droves who've not even played the thing getting territorial about other people's opinions.

Comment

Hey don’t mock The Last of Us 2, it’s the Schindler’s Kane of games.

Comment

Your jokes are not productive, please do not use your platform to report any issues you have with our awful crunch policy game.

Comment

Did you know they can make you feel guilty for killing people in the game, more than the people they killed working on the game.

Comment

Torchlight 3 released on early access, mostly negative reviews

The irk though is people making the game many including the studio head worked on previous games....and you would think a third game in the series would not need a early access, also they had many invite only tests before release.

Also the following two irk are personal ones and i can understand if people disagree.

1. Story in games for me is just a bonus it used to be i would sit through cutscenes and stories ....but now probably due to age i just want to get into the game and play the thing and when i have to have cutscenes and perhaps story in gameplay that slows the pace to a crawl I just get annoyed

2.Difficulty and trial and error style game play, the dark souls type of game play irked me....often having to repeat sections over and over and sometimes due to dickish things the game would do and while i could say trial and error in games has always been there say like the Megaman games I feel in more modern games the punishment like losing resources and the longer time to get back is what bugged me

Comment

Yea, Torchlight 3 has not had a good launch. The amount of people mentioning refunds.

Torchlight 3 had a troubled development. Born out of the closure of Runic Games, and the f2p Torchlight Frontiers so that's probably behind why there's a disconnect between this latest game are the two original games.

The opening performance, servers issues, crashes and list of complaints with the structure of the game just seem like a mess. Problem is you mess this stuff up and it's hard to get over that hill. You're permanently tainted in bad reputation. And it isn't 2009 anymore, there are countless ARPGs on PC.

Shame I used to love the original - played it on PC and Xbox 360. It was the game that re-lit my interest in ARPGs.

Comment

My fav ARPG in recent years was Grim dawn ....only real problem i had is at the higher levels and difficulties it gets far to hard and grindy and to deal with that you really have to go massively in depth to the game systems to offset it.

Wolcen seemed decent but again with launch issues will wait.

Also with Torchlight 3 I still suspect its framework is still the Torchlight Frontiers and they hastily reworked it

Comment

I'm ashamed to say I've never played Grim Dawn, and it's an unfortunate gap in my videogame experience.

When Diablo 3 started to get good (2.x onwards through to RoS) I spent hundreds of hours on that on PC and PS4. And then got into Marvel Heroes. And then found PoE. Which is phenomenal. But unfortunately for whatever reason I struggle with ARPGs now. I struggle with the seasons model.

My plan is to not go near them for a long-time and maybe something comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Console partisanship. It's infecting the whole internet at the moment. It's such a snore and people who follow console manufacturers like football teams really need to give it a rest.
                        The higher up in the chain people are, the less animosity there seems to be among them. While Xbots and PlonkStations battle it out on the digital frontlines, Phil Spencer and Shawn Layden are amicable on Twitter.

It's like religions. I've been in the company of priests, rabbis and imams sitting around and chatting because they've found peace in their similarities. The nitwits down below who follow their emotions are the ones who fight the hardest.

Footy's probably similar - I bet the players, managers, etc, go out for drinks while the fooligans argue over whose kit is stripiest.

Comment

You're right. How much of a hard-on someone has for a particular brand of plastic box, manufactured by a mega corporation that couldn't give less of a **** about them personally, is directly proportional to how thick they are.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            The higher up in the chain people are, the less animosity there seems to be among them. While Xbots and PlonkStations battle it out on the digital frontlines, Phil Spencer and Shawn Layden are amicable on Twitter.
                            There have been clear examples of toxicity from within the industry itself.

One recent example that springs to mind is Mike Ybarra (former Xbox Exec, now at Acti Blizz) throwing 'shade' at a professional journalist for a minuscule point contain within an Anthem review; a game which he has signed a marketing deal with. A really scummy thing to do given he was basically questioning the competency of that reviewer.

Like all things there are silly people out there that take that passion too far but that extends to the press, devs/publishers, platform holders as well as the fans.

I suppose it might be like football clubs owned by tax avoiding individuals furloughing all their non-playing staff for UK tax payers to pay for, whilst their £200k-a-week footballers were all too happy to 'tweet stay at home' before breaking the lockdown for sex parties. These things are two-way.

PS. I wholeheartedly agree with [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]'s original point. I don't care whether I'm playing games on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch or wherever and 'fanboi' behaviour is a almost daily occurrence. It even happens on here...

Comment

The fact that Star Citizen hasn’t been shut down and chris robberts arrested for fraud yet. Absolutely outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                                You're right. How much of a hard-on someone has for a particular brand of plastic box, manufactured by a mega corporation that couldn't give less of a **** about them personally, is directly proportional to how thick they are.
                                I'll have you know I'm very intelligent and erudite.

I just lurve da PlayStashun!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X