No announcement yet.

Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it help you with your trauma if I changed the thread title to "(Was Oculus) Facebook Rift Virtual Reality"?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Would it help you with your trauma if I changed the thread title to "(Was Oculus) Facebook Rift Virtual Reality"?
      I'd prefer you didn't

Comment

Gets a bad review here, facebook intergration aside it sounds like too many corners have been cut

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...ext-vr-system/
          Gets a bad review here, facebook intergration aside it sounds like too many corners have been cut
          Oof, really damning.

It's frustrating, too, because the Quest had so much going for it; it's almost a perfect expression of that technology. If they'd put the battery at the back, it would immediately be far, far better; on mine, once I put a large battery pack on the back using velcro, it was much more fun to use despite the additional weight, because having it balanced was much more important overall.

I guess we'll have to wait for whatever takes the general concept of the Quest and genericises it. Someone will, in the next couple of years.

Comment

Based on one person's review? This chap also thought Dance Central for Kinect was game of the year.

Oculus Quest 2 offers small changes that make big differences

Sometimes the sequel is better, the Quest 2 is a virtually flawless improvement on the original.

Facebook's virtual reality dreams have been a headache for the company. At CEO Mark Zuckerberg's prodding, the company has spent billions on Oculus and

Last edited by MartyG; 19-09-2020, 07:45.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              Based on one person's review? This chap also thought Dance Central for Kinect was game of the year.
              But that was a good game.

Then again my GOTY (even if it was technically last year) is currently Ring Fit.

Comment

Tbh, I'm struggling to find anyone else bashing Quest 2 as hard as Ars have, reading it seemed like he did have a bit of a beef with Facebook in general.

Comment

Tbh, I'm struggling to find anyone else bashing Quest 2 as hard as Ars have, reading it seemed like he did have a bit of a beef with Facebook in general.
                  Admittedly, some of that comes from how, prior to it, the Quest had something unique with VR, in that VR advocates recommended it pretty much unequivocably. If you were interested in VR, you were just advised to get it. The FB thing, for whatever is done to the hardware, adds a caveat where previously there wasn't one, and that's a shame.

I recommended the Quest to loads of people. I took it into the office multiple times, and loads of people tried it; several bought one.

EDIT: Oh, one mistake from earlier; the new model has sponge again for the face pad, not vinyl or a similar wipe-clean material. Hopefully the aftermarket suppliers will fix that (honestly, confusing?) mistake like they did with the first Quest.
                  Last edited by Asura; 19-09-2020, 10:09.

Comment

Facebook shipped these today, so I'll be able to give a first hand impression tomorrow or wednesday, depending if Yodel manage to get it to the local depot overnight.

From all the coverage I've seen so far, it does seem that Ars is the outlier, but the proof is in the eating - I did end up getting the additional headstrap though, as most places seem to agree that the standard strap is a downside to the standard unit.

Comment

Pretty much everything in the Ars was nonsense - it does seem now after having used it for a little while that that review was written with a massive Facebook chip on the shoulders.

If you don't like Facebook, then yes, avoid as you need a Facebook account, but as a piece of tech, for £299, this is impressive. It doesn't feel to the touch quite as premium as the Quest 1 due to the more plastic nature of it, but it's way more comfortable and I suspect will be improved further with the Elite strap (which hasn't yet arrived).

Comment

If you don't like Facebook, then yes, avoid as you need a Facebook account, but as a piece of tech, for £299, this is impressive. It doesn't feel to the touch quite as premium as the Quest 1 due to the more plastic nature of it, but it's way more comfortable and I suspect will be improved further with the Elite strap (which hasn't yet arrived).
                        Thing is, the Quest 1 looked great out of the box, but that textile feel, while cool in pictures, was really impractical.

Comment

I quite like the cloth, the plastic on Quest 2 makes it a lot more slippery.

Having played a few Beat Saber songs on expert, I can say that there's no issue with the tracking compared to Quest 1 - it's still not quite as good as the tracking on Index, that it's possible to miss the blocks right at the edge of vision when they'yre high right/left, but I was able to perfect "Escape (ft. Summer Haze)" on expert.

I'd have to try some of the custom songs to say for absolute sure, but I can't see any downgrade in the controller tracking from what I've used so far.

And the resolution on Virtual Desktop is very impressive, it's running at 90 Hz (this option is available on experimental options on the headset) over wifi 5 with around a 22ms latency - clarity of text is very good indeed, to the point at which I could happily do work on it.

Now I'm tempted with a HP Reverb 2.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 13-10-2020, 15:19.

Comment

Interesting impressions. Honestly, it seems like a great piece of hardware, and the price is right, too. If I was a PC user I’d be hugely tempted, but I don’t think it’s worth it to me to only be able to use the device standalone. It really shows where PSVR2 needs to be going in terms of convenience, controllers, and price though.

Comment

There's definitely no issue with tracking with the new controller, I've tried the custom songs now (although the update to multiplayer has messed up the Beat Saber Mods a bit).

However, if there was going to be any problem, then Lone Digger would have shown them up. (Obv not my vid, just link for the patterns) - I was running Quest 2 with a wired USB-C 3.2 with Oculus link to the Steam VR version (the new version on Quest can't be modded yet).
                              Last edited by MartyG; 13-10-2020, 20:35.

Comment

Andrew ‘Boz’ Bosworth, Vice President of Augmented and Virtual Reality at Facebook, did a video AMA on his Instagram and provided a response to a question about users with problems accessing Facebook accounts, therefore limiting access to a Quest 2 which requires its use. New Oculus Quest 2 owners can

Originally posted by The VP of Augmented and Virtual Reality at Facebook
                                So I mean I think people should continue to make sure their Facebook accounts are in good standing before they buy the headset. They can work through those problems before they do it.
                                Ew.

Comment

Working...
                                X