No announcement yet.

Battlefield 2042

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remember the last Alpha/Beta that wasn't reflective of the final experience. We're 10 weeks from release, less to going gold so I'm going to go in assuming what's been seen is close to final. As long as it's fun like BF3/4 I'm good though, rather than the awful BF1/V

Comment

I'd hope it's not representative of the final product - but NDAs - can't talk about it.

Comment

... gets worried

Comment

EA and DICE give Call of Duty the upper hand yet again

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            EA and DICE give Call of Duty the upper hand yet again
            Based on the tech test I played, I think they'd have given CoD the upper hand if they launched it without a delay.

The two games play very differently anyway and CoD has always sold better, so I doubt it'll have any significant impact on sales.

Comment

COD is looking pants this year. I don't mind them delaying this (or any title) as long as that means they are building in quality for the release.

The delay does put it closer to when Halo Infinite releases for me but they're such different titles it hardly matters.

Comment

Happy with the beta. Seems solid enough and the gameplay is classic BF but the maps is massive!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                  Happy with the beta. Seems solid enough and the gameplay is classic BF but the maps is massive!
                  What platform are you trying it on? Just curious (I'm not tempted to go current gen yet, so I'm wondering if it's a total bust on last gen consoles).

Comment

Xbox Series X - same map as earlier tests, they've sorted out some of the graphical issues, but it's still got people glitching everywhere and weird physics issues. The lighting is all over the place with the shadows too, one moment dark, next moment light but it seemed like the framerate was reasonably stable.

It's improved, but still needs some polish. Not a fan of the new weapon system mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                      What platform are you trying it on? Just curious (I'm not tempted to go current gen yet, so I'm wondering if it's a total bust on last gen consoles).
                      PC on Steam for me.

Comment

Giving it a bash on PS5 later.

Comment

Had a few matches last night and it instantly feels more like BF3 and BF4 than the games that followed which makes a good first impression, especially as you start exploring your options again. After a few games though, I'm a bit more unsure. It's fine but... just fine. It feels a bit like a reset, getting the series back on the road it should have been on, but in doing so we're kind of back to where we were a generation ago.

The map is solid but not near the series best, it feels like unless the game features maps that equal or surpass those in BF4 it'll leave this still feeling a little redundant. I don't know, it's just hard to shake the impression it'll get old fast based on the experience here.

Comment

With just the one map and game mode, we're not really seeing much of the game. The maps make a big difference and the one in the beta is far from their best. We're not seeing all the weather stuff promised, or smaller tighter maps with less players ( I'm not convinced more players is more better ), so hoping there are some tighter maps where I'm not getting constantly sniped from the other side of the map by 64 enemy players.

Comment

Yep, certain points on the map are oddities. The tall tower is one as it feels like it might have been better for the capture point to be part way inside the structure. You have this huge construct and so much empty space as all the action ends up contained to the roof and access stairwells. It's a vast map with various traversal methods but seemingly not much use for them compared to old maps like the one with the collapsable dish overhead or the town that floods that meant you had freedom but the map forced you to constantly mix up your tactics and approaches.

Comment

Gave the beta a spin on last-gen (my launch PS4). Graphically I thought it was fairly decent, but other than that it was a dull, unengaging, glitchy mess. Three games, three hard crashes. Attempts to set up gun emplacements resulted in the emplacements spontaneously-combusting as soon as they were put down. The zipline/grapple was alright, though. When it was working I mostly found myself wandering aimlessly with team-mates trying to find stairwells up through the ludicrously vast structures, or wandering upon the concrete wasteland in-between. Occasionally I'd fire a shot, that is when the gun had the decency to spawn into my expectant hands. Other times I'd run around with hands outstretched as if cradling an invisible baby. Combat and gun feedback felt feeble. A turd.

Comment

Working...
                                X