Canon-Strike XIII: Godzilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon-Strike XIII: Godzilla

One new thread over a thirteen month window... why not? We move on to the thirteenth chapter and with it return to genre movie making with one of cinema's longest running behemoths:

GODZILLA

We begin at the beginning...

Film 01 - Godzilla
    1954 and the first Godzilla film is release in Japan telling the story of a monster that emerges from the sea to threaten the people of Japan. Filmed using the man in a suit approach to create a false sense of scale to action with the towering behemoth, it was both an epic monster movie and a commentary on the dangers of nuclear weapons testing.

Approaching 70 years on, does the original stand up to its legacy?

Amazing idea!

I definitely think the OG Godzilla stands the test of time.
    Funnily enough, I'd never seen it until a few years back, when the were showing it at the Birmingham IMAX at the Science Museum.
    Great to see it on such a big screen, and those early shots where they're investigating the unknown disaster and the camera reveals they're in a giant footprint is brilliant.

Obviously, the Godzilla model has dated from nearly 70 years ago, but the tale of man trying to destroy the unstoppable is fascinating.

Comment

Still a great film. And even now some of the miniature sets look pretty impressive. If you’ve only seen the American version go and seek out the vastly superior original.

Comment

It’s still an excellent film. It should be lauded as a great sci-fi film from an era packed with B movie classics. The cinematography is wonderful; the black and white photography still creates a moody atmosphere.

Comment

I watched it again pretty recently and it’s a superb film. Of course it looks old - it is old. And so some of the switches to and from models are jarring, and it’s so black and white with crushed blacks to the point where it kind of looks like it is being output on a photocopier. But it overcomes any hallmarks of its age, delivering a moody thoughtful film. It’s a classic for very good reasons and, to me, still holds up all these years later.

Comment

Genuinely looking forward to hearing some of your opinions, chaps!

Especially @Prinnzilla , @CMcKing Caesar and @King Doggorah!

Comment

Film 02 - Godzilla Raids Again
              Releasing the very next year, Japan finds itself falling victim to a battle between the return lizard god and his enemy Anguirus. Filmed quickly to ride the success of the first film, the sequel was less well received thanks largely to being perceived as being an inferior cash grab - as it largely was though the film is a key moment for introducing a monster v monster set up to the franchise that would go on to be an often used scenario.

How well does Raids Again actually stack up against the original?

Comment

Never saw Raids as its reputation precedes it and it's not been readily available for a while.

Any of the Eureka set owners bothered to take this out the packaging?

EDIT: I meant the Criterion collection, sorry.
                Last edited by QualityChimp; 30-11-2022, 14:59.

Comment

I remember seeing that on BBC2 or maybe C4 years ago. More of a creature feature than its predecessor. I do hope to see that Eureka boxset in a sale one of these days. Would be great to see all those film again.

Comment

I know I have seen it but I barely remember it. I have it in the Criterion set but haven't watched that version yet. Maybe I need to watch them all.

Comment

Great idea for a thread Neon. I know very very little about Godzilla so I'm looking forward to reading all your impressions as we proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Great idea for a thread Neon. I know very very little about Godzilla so I'm looking forward to reading all your impressions as we proceed.
                        There are definitely parallels with other long-running franchises like James Bond, for example where your fave film is usually the one that introduced you to the series, and your fave incarnation of G is the one from that era.
                        Some like the crude but seminal early ones, others like the comedic beats, others like the grittier, later versions.

You don't have to like them all, but if you get some joy from them, then they're a great series to explore.

Definitely going to get some disagreement of what makes a great G film, but should be fun finding out who likes what!

Comment

The only truth is that Jet Jaguar makes for one of the poorest Godzilla movies.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                            The only truth is that Jet Jaguar makes for one of the poorest Godzilla movies.
                            YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
                              Nope. I'm sure the kid who designed Jet Jaguar was ecstatic in seeing his creation on screen, but JJ itself is dumb-looking, the Kenny there is one of the worst in Godzilla filmography, the movie itself is poorly executed, and it's evident that Godzilla was added at the last minute because execs realised JJ wasn't enough to lead anything by itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X