Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure (Megadrive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure (Megadrive)

One of my personal fave Megadrive games, this bonkers platformer was loosely based on Sega's Master System classic Psycho Fox. Featuring a little guy who wears a turban and massive pants (which allow him to float in mid air), this colourful platformer remains one of the best of its type on Sega's 16-bit machine (IMO, of course).

I remember reading about the game in the Yob's Gossip section of Mean Machines, and Yob commented on the rather zany title. Thankfully the game had playability to spare under the rather strange English-translated name. It features typical 'Mario' style 'jump on enemies heads' gameplay, great graphics and some brilliant tunes. Plus you can turn into a massive robot-ape. What more could you ask for?

Compared to other platformers available on the Megadrive at the time (this was an early title) Magical Hat felt amazing, the control and playability were second to none. Nothing really touched it until Sonic came out.

The game was released in the West as DeCapAttack. The visuals were stripped away and it was turned into some kind of strange Halloween-themed game (which ironically made it look even more weird than the Japanese original). The excellent gameplay remains, but the best version is still the Japanese one.

I remember this being a game that many PAL MD owners got their hands on, most indies at the time had plenty of import stock and my local store was selling new copies for a tenner at one point! I saw many puzzled parents walking their kids away from the store holding this game. I only hope they enjoyed it as much as I did.

One of the best game titles evar.

Comment

I seriously loved that game and played it loads. My friend and i both pre-ordered it, i imported all my games back then and it must of looked interesting and we were both really impressed when we got it. As you said at the time the MD was lacking decent platformers and this was a breath of fresh air. It is a very bizarre game and all the strange pill taking got a lot of chuckles back in the day.

Comment

Ah Duddy, you're spoiling me with all this great MegaDrive lark. I remember pawing over stuff like Magical Hat in Compete Guide to Consoles but, in the end, I went the Super Famicom route and my fate was sealed. I know, should have got them both.

And now I can

Comment

Thankfully Magical Hat is pretty cheap on fleabay these days. I think I got my (third) copy for under a fiver, and it was mintier than a Polo.

Comment

One of the best games ever, imo.

Certainly the best game title ever!!!!!

I remember buying it just because of its name as part of the deal from Console Concepts along with Wrestle Wars when I bought my Jap Pal MD!! I used up all of my summers bale hauling (farm work) pay. Best purchase ever i think.. Was so exited when it arrived, anyway. Hazy days they were. Dead fingers and pads from Wrestle wars, though. >_<;;

I remember when Decapattack came out - and I still think whoever decided it would be a good idea should be shot. Gameplay or no - it looked shoddy and bleak. Sooooo not what the game was about, imo.

Best music for when you die in a game ever, too! FACTotem!

Cheers for the memories, Duddy. (and Simmy for sending me the link - I'd have missed it most likely)
            Last edited by disco-tom; 11-10-2005, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
              loosely based on Sega's Master System classic Psycho Fox.
              Which was in turn an update/pseudo-sequel to Vic Tokai's Famicom/NES title, Kid Kool

Comment

I got this with my "grey import" megadrive also from console concepts.... I think it came with arrow flash! I loved Psycho Fox on the master system so this really hit the spot. My favourite level had to be the one where the big combine harvester thingy was chasing you! Superb visuals, a real delight of a game, made importing great, best title for a game ever also!

Comment

I love this beautiful game!

There I was in late 91 at a console market somewhere in South London browsing a stand filled with tons of Japanese Megadrive games. I'm looking through them, when I notice this really attractive box - so I look on the back and the shots just look excellent, really colouful and striking. My mind made-up, I buy the game for around ?20, hoping my purchase won't let me down!

As soon as the game started I knew I had made a wise-choice. I just love the games visuals, big, bold and full of colour- this is why I import Japanese games. The controls in this are fantastic- the way the character can sort of float along the air for a time, and all the design components that add depth to the action. Even the sound in this is excellent- with the main tune being unforgettable!

Magic Hat Turbo Flying Adventure is in my Top10 MD games of all time!

Probably my favourite MD box- totally gorgeous!
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-10-2005, 13:52.

Comment

It's the cover that does it innit, swell game.

Comment

Superb title, I'm covering it in this month's Rising Sun Retro

Comment

Rising Sun Retro
                        Best name for a retro section ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                          Superb title, I'm covering it in this month's Rising Sun Retro
                          Show people the box- it's enough to entice any gamer in to the world of Japanese MD gaming!

Comment

If you have Decap Attack and put it in a modded Mega Drive in Japanese language mode, will it play as MFHTA?

Comment

Nope. The game has been completely re-coded.

Comment

Working...
                              X