Games that are unexpectedly good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games that are unexpectedly good

I'm talking about games on any format that, based on their cover, or the fact that they're licenced or cheap knock-offs or something, you would fully expect to be totally rubbish. Basically any movie tie-in that turned out to be decent, or things like Go! Go! Beckham!

It's time of another definitive list. Games that should be **** but aren't. Go!

Haven Call of the King on PS2.

A game that failed at retail that has ugly characters, but is a brilliant fun jack of all trades platformer. Loads to do and lots of variation in the levels and some great music.

Comment

Is that the one that was kind of advertised as having lots of genres in one? With a racing bit, shooting bit etc etc

Comment

Yes. None of the genres are incredible but I have had a blast playing it over the last day or so.

Comment

transformers for the ps2 was expecting nothing from it but thought it was great

Morrowind possibly the last game i bought soley based on the cover as i knew nothing about it previous

Comment

10 that immediately spring to mind:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine on 360
            Conan on 360
            Gun Griffon Blaze on PS2
            NARC on Xbox 1
            Max Payne on GBA
            Granada on MD
            Lara Croft & The Guardian Of Light on PS3
            MorphX on 360
            Victorious Boxers on PS2
            Die Hard Vendetta on GC

Comment

The A-Train series. Sounds boring but really are quite entertaining. One came out on the PS1 in English too.

Comment

Bullet Witch was a game I enjoyed far more than I anticipated.

Comment

^I'm so sad I even bought the theme, and 'proudly' use it. Good call.

Comment

They're really well known for being good by now, but I think we should include the Capcom Disney games (Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales 1 + 2 etc), as well as Aladdin on SNES and MD.

Comment

^Maybe just the SNES version of Aladdin...the MD one could easily be bundled in with The Lion King, The Jungle Book etc., whereas the SNES is your typical, quality Capcom arcader...and I love it to bits...and everyone else hates it compared to the floaty, lacklustre MD version!

Comment

Ok how about Alien Trilogy on Saturn and psx, that was cool.

Oh man, and Cool Spot. It was the spot from the frigging seven up logo, and it was still a good game. That has to take the cake, right there.

Comment

I would nominate Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure on the Xbox, Gamecube and PS2. It uses the Tony Hawks 4 engine but has Disney themed levels like Toy Story and The Lion King. It plays like an early Tony Hawks game and is great fun.

Comment

I may have to check that one out. Speaking of Disney on the PS2, I've heard a lot of great things about Kim Possible: What's the Switch?

Comment

For the longest of times i kept seeing the box to shonen kinninden tsumuji on ds & passing it off as some crap EA produced zelda clone. After actually playing it i discovered it's a pretty awesome adventure game that gives the DS zeldas a run for their money, plus it has ninjas so how can you not like it hehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X