Games that are unexpectedly good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    ^Maybe just the SNES version of Aladdin...the MD one could easily be bundled in with The Lion King, The Jungle Book etc., whereas the SNES is your typical, quality Capcom arcader...and I love it to bits...and everyone else hates it compared to the floaty, lacklustre MD version!
    WHAT???? The Mega Drive version of Aladdin is miles better than the SNES game. Graphics, music, animation and even gameplay are all better. The Capcom game seems very stiff IMO.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 24-07-2012, 03:15.

Comment

The MD version of Aladdin is covered with they typical Shiny gloss that papers over weak design and control. Earthworm Jim was another. It was an average game with a few crazy characters.

Comment

Judge Dredd (SNES) was a surprisingly fun platformer. I also enjoyed what I played of Bullet Witch, and was even more surprised by how much I liked Nier after the mediocre press it got.

Oh, and I'm probably one of the five people in the world that had fun with Duke Nukem Forever.

Comment

Operation Winback.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Aerobiz Supersonic on the SNES. Manage your own airline company. Amazing game. I got the original when I was a kid but still play it today emulated.

Comment

Disney's Hercules for the PlayStation was an unexpected delight at the time. In fact, I'm feeling the urge to replay it right now!

Good call on Conan! I thought it was much better than people gave it credit for. Plus, it had boobies. Loads of them, served in pairs.

Comment

There's a load more in the Under/Rated thread too, some mega-gems in there. For me, though the series was popular enough, Megaman X6 recieved some flak and it might be my favourite out of the whole run.

Comment

Manhunt is the most 'unexpectedly good' game I can remember.

Comment

Some of mine would be

Exhumed

Binary Domain

Batman Returns (Mega CD) - The driving sections

O.TO.GI

Alien Resurrection - PS

Chrome Hounds

Castlevania LOS

Comment

Cool Spot

A videogame based on the mascot of a soft drink. By rights it should be total cack but I quite enjoyed it. Think I had it on SNES.

Comment

Looking at more recent release two games have really suprised me. Firstly Puss in boots for kinect surprised me by how good fun it was it looks great and looks like someone actually tried to make it a fun and responsive game, the sword fighting is fluid and is what kinect star wars should of been like.

it mixes up gameplay so that it isn't to samey and me and my four year old son really enjoyed playing this when it turned up on rental From love film, I've even considered picking it again as its very cheap now.

And secondly skylanders has also surprised me in that it actually is very good fun to play and has quite high production values, voice cast from the likes of family guy and invader Zim are instantly recognisable, and really add to making this a quality product. co-op play is also really well implemented And is the perfect first game to play with your kids to teach them real pad skills.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 24-07-2012, 16:06.

Comment

Extreme G3. All were average/poor before and have been since.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                            I would nominate Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure on the Xbox, Gamecube and PS2. It uses the Tony Hawks 4 engine but has Disney themed levels like Toy Story and The Lion King. It plays like an early Tony Hawks game and is great fun.

Id love to see that re-released on xbla. The nipper would kill for it.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                              Cool Spot

A videogame based on the mascot of a soft drink. By rights it should be total cack but I quite enjoyed it. Think I had it on SNES.
                              I loved Cool Spot, I did the full ending, finding thing quest (can't remember exactly what it was) and you had to take a photo of the end screen to prove it and then send it off. I recieved nothing for my efforts.

Comment

I wasn't a fan but Fusion Frenzy on the Xbox was a very popular multiplayer title among my mates.

Also Ice Breaker on the 3DO. Rubbish box art, graphics made by the YTS intake and poor reviews. I was hooked.

Also on the 3DO was another unexpected great in the shape of Battlesport. Didn't review well, sparse visuals and published by Acclaim. Absolute blast to play in two player mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X