No announcement yet.

Richard Burns Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just completed a challenge last night, 1st one - bloody hard but cos its shortest i thought id try that, took ages 1 and half hours trying... anyways finally got the MG but its only useable in the Quick Rally stages and not the main rally mode. Which i think, you'd have to complete on the hardest setting to attain...

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
      Just a little update on my 'multiple dirty disk error' i'm having on the xbox version...
      I've had this exact same problem, on the same stage of the US rally.

I started a new profile and retired from the 1st 4 rallys, then played the US as normal. This time no problem, in 1st place when I reached it. I wonder if it depends which car you're in - the corolla fails for me. Do the stages always occur in the same order?

I'm currently playing through properly with my original profile. In the meantime, I'm gonna mail sci, see what they say.

But, despite the niggles, this is a great game

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
        Not to throw the thread of the rails to much but, "dire offerings in the WRC series"?!Being a huge rallying fan I'd say WRC3 is far superior than anything Codemasters has offered us.
        I really didn't like the WRC games - It's a long story as to why, perhaps I'll tell it one day. I would say that CMR is clearly better though...

As part of an update, I have made progress through the game since last week though it still leaves me a bit cold. We were playing lap challenge here with a few friends. It was ok, but was soon trumped by the lure of four-player Virtua Tennis. :-D

Stefan.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
          Not to throw the thread of the rails to much but, "dire offerings in the WRC series"?!Being a huge rallying fan I'd say WRC3 is far superior than anything Codemasters has offered us.
          i have to agree with this. starting a rally game review by describing wrc3 as 'dire' is an excellent way to make most racing/rally game fans figure reading the rest of the review to be a waste of their time and stop reading right there.

Comment

Tried this game out for first time last night (Xbox), didn't enjoy it at all, found it was similar to WRC3 on PS2, didn't like that either The cars just seem "floaty" again like WRC3, prefer my cars to feel/look as if they have contact with the road.

The rear of the the Subaru bounces like it is weightless if you go over a biggish bump quickly, I have never seen the rear end of a rally car bounce 3 foot in the air 3 times before settling down.

Seems as though hardly anyone is using Live as there are only between 70 and 230 times on the leaderboard for each stage, very poor when you consider RSC2 leaderboards were reset after RBR came out and there are 20,000+ people on there. One good point though, like CM04 you can set times offline and upload them next time you connect.

Back to Game at lunchtime for a refund. Roll on CM2005.

Comment

MGV Opinion is thus: RBR Rocks

Its pretty much a sim, so not everyone is gonna squirt a pint of jizz over it. If u like stuff like GPL, and rally games, you`ll like this. If you think RSC and CM rock, you`ll be flying into trees at 100mph every corner until you get bored and take it back to the shop for something easier. Like lego racers. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by SonicMarmite
                MGV Opinion is thus: RBR Rocks

Its pretty much a sim, so not everyone is gonna squirt a pint of jizz over it. If u like stuff like GPL, and rally games, you`ll like this. If you think RSC and CM rock, you`ll be flying into trees at 100mph every corner until you get bored and take it back to the shop for something easier. Like lego racers. ^_^
                Very funny, I would love a proper rally sim, but like my post said floaty bouncy rally cars just doesn't cut it. If you've got RSC2 & Live I'll gladly give you a lesson in rallying sometime.

Comment

PC versions.

Since Colin McRae Rally 2 I've been a follower of that series. CMR3 was a bit pants until they patched it and 4 is the best in the series.

Then I played the CMR5 demo and I couldn't believe how similar to the previous game it was. Codemasters are clearly relying on the licence to sell copies rather than what's in the game. The handling of 5 is so slow, and the cars still steer from a point in the middle of the car.

I've been following RBR's progress and when I got it (for PC) it blew me away. It really is F355 or GPL but for rally fans! I thought the reviews were gonna be exaggerated coz there's never really been a proper rally sim, but real life techniques do actually work in this game!

Great game!

Comment

Then I played the CMR5 demo and I couldn't believe how similar to the previous game it was.
                    that's my concern. Some have said that it's a marked improvement/development, while others say it's remained the same. It does strike me in the promo material, however, that it's CM04 repackaged with more cars and tracks. I will have to get a copy and find out...

Comment

Originally posted by Sigourney Beaver
                      The handling of 5 is so slow, and the cars still steer from a point in the middle of the car.
                      How can it (CMR) be even called a car racing/rally game, when all it does is emulate hovering a saucer over unkown territory rather than a real car with four wheels on real tracks?
                      (Yes, I don?t like Codemasters - you can?t even download a patch for a game from their website without registering even though you fu**ing paid for it)

Comment

Originally posted by Balou
                        How can it (CMR) be even called a car racing/rally game, when all it does is emulate hovering a saucer over unkown territory rather than a real car with four wheels on real tracks?
                        (Yes, I don?t like Codemasters - you can?t even download a patch for a game from their website without registering even though you fu**ing paid for it)
                        I think the Colin McRae games are fairly realistic, but dislike WRC games and RBR, amazing how everyones opinion is so different.

In CM05 you do have a "quick turn" button to make the car steer more quickly - this was introduced in CM05 to make up for steering wheel/joypad differences.

Balou, Codies Code M thing is crap I have registered about 4 times because I can never fooking log in with the same username twice !

CM02 was the best of the bunch in my opinion though.
                        Last edited by VR46; 16-09-2004, 16:02.

Comment

The CMR games are far from realistic. The 'sim' word seems to crop up too many times when people talk about the CMR series, which is dead wrong as it's always been arcade based. The series hasn't progressed its single point handling since it's humble beginnings on the PSX, and even in this day and age still doesn't sample the road for each wheel.

Comment

I think the problem with Richard Burns Rally is that it demands quite a lot from the player (or rather the 'virtual driver'):
                            It is difficult, it takes a lot of concentration while on the track, it (almost) requires a steering wheel to drive properly ... and the list goes on.
                            And, in my view, the framerate of the PS2 version is not good enough, so a fairly powerful PC is also required. (I?m about to sell my PS2 copy in favor of the PC version - once I upgraded my stone age computer)

But I still prefer RBR to CMR since I know rougly what to expect while driving, whereas CMR always feels a little artificial. (the fact that the car turns around the center really is unexcusable in my view)
                            I?m not against arcade racers, but these kind of 'arcade physics' in an otherwise simulation-styled environment just feel wrong and out of place.

In some ways, I think, RBR can be compared to Virtua Fighter 4:
                            The techniques are there and clearly defined, but it takes a huge amount of practise to master them.
                            (plus they both require the right equipment to play properly)

It?s one of those games that are for people who enjoy gradually increasing their skills at a game and can draw motivation from that. (or at least that is the way I see the game)

Comment

I think CMR has always been developed as a sim rather than an arcade game. The genre evolved from Sega Rally to V-Rally to CMR - all of which were regarded as 'simulations' at the time of release. What is happening is that some are being re-labelled as arcade-based when a new, apparently more realistic or elaborate franchise comes out.

Comment

Yeah maybe that was the case with the first 2, but if Codemasters was trying to develop it as a sim nowadays it has had 3 chances in the current generation to prove it, but yet it still uses the same old single point steering. Codemasters plan has always been to make the game accessable to the masses, if it was developing it as a sim it would end up with something along the lines of RBR (unpopular and generally unliked).

Comment

Working...
                                X